Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Edouard le Philistine …

Bulbs…are the reason jaune headlights are out of favour, plus the new flash designed expensive lights now fitted to the euro boxes…I think the last ones that you can stiil buy are the H7’s The classic car brigade still use them, like those fitted to cheap C15 camionettes :wink:
I had one on my VFR750, twin headlights, one white, one yellow, just for the hell of it, probable now illegal, EU legislations and all that.

I’ve got a few spare yellows somewhere, so when I send the horseman out to bring you back here for ransome, if someone does decide to pay up I’ll chuck in a pair, that should make you more valuable…about 10 francs total should do it, or 5 francs without the bulbs… :angry:

Fergie, Duke de Bretagne

Nothing to do with lorries…Old village scene…and today … 100 years apart.

Screenshot_20210512-182448.png

Hi Dave,
Hope all is well at Chateau Fergie?
One off another channel, no details sorry,

185213468_1639451526248264_7999441076293417311_n.jpg

Fergie47:
Edouard le Philistine …

Bulbs…are the reason jaune headlights are out of favour, plus the new flash designed expensive lights now fitted to the euro boxes…I think the last ones that you can stiil buy are the H7’s The classic car brigade still use them, like those fitted to cheap C15 camionettes :wink:
I had one on my VFR750, twin headlights, one white, one yellow, just for the hell of it, probable now illegal, EU legislations and all that.

I’ve got a few spare yellows somewhere, so when I send the horseman out to bring you back here for ransome, if someone does decide to pay up I’ll chuck in a pair, that should make you more valuable…about 10 francs total should do it, or 5 francs without the bulbs… :angry:

Fergie, Duke de Bretagne

Edoard le Philistine, keep up at the back mate, we’ve discussed the same matter a couple of pages back, as I too wondered about what happened to the yellow bulbs… can’t remember what the outcome was though… but in terms of roadsafety it was brilliant, as the yellow beams didn’t burn your eyes out of their sockets at night, unlike the modern cars tend to do…

The other day I was told that back in the day, if a French car approached you with full beam and hazard lights on, it meant that the driver might have had a Pastis or two too many, and this was their way to warn upcoming traffic…?

Patrick “Whips” le Conducteur

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Fergie47:
Nothing to do with lorries…Old village scene…and today … 100 years apart.

Once again, nothing to do with lorries I’m afraid.

But I made mention previously with regard to insignificant occurrences often being inter-linked, then lo and behold, another remarkable coincidence occurs.

The coincidence being that I just happen to be familiar with the village of Le Guétin and its environs. The remarkable part being that just a few miles up the road from here heading towards Sancerre at a place named on the map as Poids de Fer, and immediately adjacent to the canal, there once stood a VNF workers cabin. …I actually slept in the place on one cold night in 1996…I recall there was a full moon that night… ( although I’m not quite sure if any significant conclusions can be drawn from that fact.)

The cabin has completely disappeared now, totally obliterated and razed to the ground, although in 2009, it still stood here, albeit in an abandoned and semi derelict state.

I took the opportunity at that point to assist the demolition crew by robbing the 1/4" plywood sheets from the ceiling of the place,… then on my arrival at the old railway station below Sancerre, proceeded to use them to assemble the outer panelling on my Euro-Remorque.

There are several pictures below showing the various stages of assembly of the said Euro-Remorque , taken at various random places , Tonnere, Sancerre, Montbouy etc., and I suspect there’s a bloke living somewhere near Auxerre who’s still scratching his tête, wondering what happened to the roofing sheets that were leaning against his allotment fence.

I’ve also included a photo of the crime scene at Poids de Fer and a satellite image, courtesy of Google maps , showing its precise former location.

Incidentally, the person perched on the Euro-Remorque isn’t me, that would be the former Mrs Philistine.

So, many thanks for the memory jerker Fergie,…here then, and in no particular order, as I can play the bagpipes far more proficiently than I can operate this iPad, are the photos.

Oh! Sorry!..the photos seem to be unexpectedly appearing above the text, not below, as I was expecting them to, and they’re appearing in reverse order to boot. Oh well, bollox to it, I’m not changing it now, as the chip pan appears to be threatening to catch fire.

Regards.

Edouard le Philistine

A pity I didn’t know you were at less that 10 miles from my house when in Sancerre, Eddie; otherwise, you would have been welcome for an apéritif or a good French beer!

The Poids de Fer takes its name from the fact that iron from local furnaces was loaded on barges on the Loire during the 18th and 19th centuries. Iron ore was mined in the area until the 1880s.

Froggy55:
A pity I didn’t know you were at less that 10 miles from my house when in Sancerre, Eddie; otherwise, you would have been welcome for an apéritif or a good French beer!

The Poids de Fer takes its name from the fact that iron from local furnaces was loaded on barges on the Loire during the 18th and 19th centuries. Iron ore was mined in the area until the 1880s.

What a coincidence, when I posted those pics I didn’t realise how many people it would involve, it looks a nice area… :slight_smile:

image.jpg

Froggy55:

Thanks for the info Froggy, I’ve often wondered how it came to have that particular name, and now, thanks to you, I’m a better informed person.

I must apologise at this point for straying so far from the subject matter of the thread, but malheureusement, I have very little else to offer, as the sum total of my knowledge relating to French trucks lies somewhere between minimal and non-existent, with the emphasis being on the latter…( other than the fact that a few of the aforementioned trucks appear hideous to my philistine eyes …but we won’t go there again…eh? )

I obviously never knew John ( Saviem ), but I have read his posts and have consequently formed a deep respect for both the man’s knowledge of transport related matters and his affection for France.

I could never even begin to attain the man’s level of knowledge regarding trucks, but I would respectfully suggest that when it comes to the love of France, we could quite possibly have ended up being on equal terms.

Having made my apologies, I’m intrigued Froggy… As you live in close proximity to Sancerre, you may well be connaissant with the former abandoned railway station just below the town, and if that’s the case, then you may recall that there is, or at least there was, a sort of night club affair in one of the old station buildings. The place may have been called Le Locomotive, or something of that nature, as it actually had an old French diesel/electric loco jutting out from the main building, used quite possibly as a dining area.

I have a photograph of it here…

Oh! bloody Nora, it’s gone to the top of the friggin’ page once again…eh bien, ça ne fait rien.

I couldn’t say what species of loco it is, as my knowledge of French railway locomotives is even worse than my knowledge of French camions…( I know,…hardly seems possible does it ? )
What I can say though is that there is another one , exactly like it , ( or there was ), parked outside the workshops of the SNCF depot which lies adjacent to the canal de bourgogne, a mile or so south of Dijon.

The one at Sancerre had disappeared in 2010, probably been sold and carted off for restoration most likely. But how they managed it, God only knows , given the width of the roads in the area.

So that’s probably it for now. Apolologies once more for injecting mere trivia into a seriously truck oriented forum. I promise not to do it again…honest…although I have been known to tell fibs and break promises in the past if I’m being totally honest.

On the subject of trivia though, the town of Pouilly, a few clicks up the Loire on the opposite bank, marks the halfway point along the longest river in France, from its source at Gerbier de Jonc in the Massif Central to its terminus at Saint-Nazaire…but you already knew that…didn’t you ?

Just one more thing before I bugger off to fire up the frites français… I’m more than a little curious as to how the town of La Machine, a little farther up the Loire valley came to be so named…any offers?

Sorry, but I can no longer access Wikipedia on my steam powered iPad.

Regards.

Edouard le Philistine.

pete smith:
Hi Dave,

Hi Pierre…

Yep we’re good thanks, due to bad weather it’s back to decorating, so keeping busy.

Peter, the guy in Scare, who’s wagon we looked at last time you were over, has completed his 4 wheeler which is the same as the one you posted, that brings his collection to 4 Saviems on the road… His company sold out go a big pig haulierso he’s got more fime to play.

Hope you’re both well and working hard, relying on you to pay my pension, pathetic as it is :unamused:

Keep safe mate, kisses to Nicki…

Dave

Eddie Heaton:

Having made my apologies, I’m intrigued Froggy… As you live in close proximity to Sancerre, you may well be connaissant with the former abandoned railway station just below the town, and if that’s the case, then you may recall that there is, or at least there was, a sort of night club affair in one of the old station buildings. The place may have been called Le Locomotive, or something of that nature, as it actually had an old French diesel/electric loco jutting out from the main building, used quite possibly as a dining area.

The one at Sancerre had disappeared in 2010, probably been sold and carted off for restoration most likely. But how they managed it, God only knows , given the width of the roads in the area.

Just one more thing before I bugger off to fire up the frites français… I’m more than a little curious as to how the town of La Machine, a little farther up the Loire valley came to be so named…any offers?

Regards.

Edouard le Philistine.

Incidentally, I wrote a book about the story of railways in the Sancerre area some 10 years ago, and can answer any questions concerning the subjetc. I also have many photos, but guess they’ll be totally condidered as out of the subject on this Forum. Just contact me via PM and give me a mail address if you’re interested! The 1953 railcar was a room of a restaurant (la Locomotive) which was part of the neighbouring night-club, closed after arson 3 or 4 years ago. Powered by a 300 bhp 31 litre Renault V 12. I used to travel in such railcars back in the seventies between Cosne and Nevers.

Concerning La Machine, it was a coal extracting site until 1974, and I advise you to visit their very ineresting musem. The same for Noyant d’Allier, between Moulins and Montluçon. Provided, of course, they are allowed to reopen.

Cheers

Paul

Fergie47:

pete smith:
Hi Dave,

Hi Pierre…

Yep we’re good thanks, due to bad weather it’s back to decorating, so keeping busy.

Peter, the guy in Scare, who’s wagon we looked at last time you were over, has completed his 4 wheeler which is the same as the one you posted, that brings his collection to 4 Saviems on the road… His company sold out go a big pig haulierso he’s got more fime to play.

Hope you’re both well and working hard, relying on you to pay my pension, pathetic as it is :unamused:

Keep safe mate, kisses to Nicki…

Dave

Morning Dave,
Yes I remember that nice little Saviem in Scare, good job we had our interpreter on hand, not sure what he was saying but you can bet he told that poor women he could drive any truck with a gear stick!
I bet that lad with that fleet of pig boxes is glad he has sold that lot, I wonder what happened to the pink Scania?
Yes both working hard and looking forward to a break at the end of September,
Take care you pair ■■

Froggy55:

Eddie Heaton:

Regards.

Edouard le Philistine.

Incidentally, I wrote a book about the story of railways in the Sancerre area some 10 years ago, and can answer any questions concerning the subjetc. I also have many photos, but guess they’ll be totally condidered as out of the subject on this Forum. Just contact me via PM and give me a mail address if you’re interested! The 1953 railcar was a room of a restaurant (la Locomotive) which was part of the neighbouring night-club, closed after arson 3 or 4 years ago. Powered by a 300 bhp 31 litre Renault V 12. I used to travel in such railcars back in the seventies between Cosne and Nevers.

Concerning La Machine, it was a coal extracting site until 1974, and I advise you to visit their very ineresting musem. The same for Noyant d’Allier, between Moulins and Montluçon. Provided, of course, they are allowed to reopen.

Cheers

Paul

Paul,
Please post some rail pics as this site is all things French, John (Saviem) enjoyed a diverse range of subjects and I think I can safely say we all do, Cheers Pete

pete smith:
Paul,
Please post some rail pics as this site is all things French, John (Saviem) enjoyed a diverse range of subjects and I think I can safely say we all do, Cheers Pete

I’ll second that Pete…

Paul, photos and info please…more the merrier…

I reckon I might be pushing my luck a bit here Froggy, but here goes.

I did a bit of research myself following my previous post, and came up with this shot.

The photo that I posted wasn’t particularly good, but it was the only one that I have unfortunately, although I did have ample opportunity to take many better shots.

I used to stash my gear underneath on the chassis of the thing, and the stuff would invariably still be there where I left it when I returned weeks, or sometimes even months later.

In fact, if you fancy doing a bit of detective work, you may be able to locate a cast iron door, it’s round the corner, in the car park of the nightclub, built into the retaining wall. It’ll be covered by ivy now no doubt.
It’s about two or three feet square from memory.

It’ll be on the right hand side, 30 or 40 feet down the car park as you walk away from the nightclub.
If you do find it, and you manage to get the thing open, it should contain a half full bottle of propane ( or butane, I forget which ) that’s been there since 2010. I used to have them stashed practically all over France and Spain.

The red symbol on the Google satellite view below gives the approximate location of said treasure.

I’d be interested to know whether or not it was ever detected… And if it’s still there, and if you do find it, then you’ll win the first prize of…wait for it…a half full bottle of propane,…( or butane…whichever)

Yes…seriously…it’s yours to keep.

Regards.

Edouard le Philistine.

image.jpg

OK, Eddie, it happens I shall be shortly leaving for Sancerre for some shopping, and will do my best, if of course the access to the site is not closed.

Fergie47:

pete smith:
Paul,

I’ll second that Pete…

Paul, photos and info please…more the merrier…

Not much time this morning to fiddle with my keyboard, but here are nevertheless a few old pictures of Sancerre Station.

View from the Porte-César panoramic site c. 1905

Two close-up pictures c. 1910.

5 Sancerre P-O 2009 4 (1).JPGThe same in 2009 with the railcar when both the restaurant and night-club were thriving.

A goods train in Sancerre c. 1918

During World War I, an army train makes a halt, and soldiers have a walk on the platforms.

The main line in Sancerre was opened in 1893, closed to passengers in 1966, and gradually to good, bits after bits, between 1969 and 1999. There was also a metre-gauge line linking St-Satur to Neuilly, opened 1908, closed 1948.

Cheers

Paul

^^^^^^^^^^^
Morning Paul,
Great pics regarding the old station, I bet passenger numbers were not that great but the goods yard seemed quite large,
Thanks for posting, Cheer’s Pete

Sorry, Eddie, but the place is now packed with gipsies and their caravans, and I didn’t dare entering the site. Anyway, they certainly burned your butane, maybe to cook some unfortunate hedgehog or stray cat! Nevertheless, thanks for your offer!

No worries Froggy, but many thanks for taking the trouble to go down there anyway.

I doubt they would have managed to find the butane to be honest, as it was pretty well hidden, and looking at the street view image of the car park today, the retaining wall seems to be far more overgrown than it was in 2010. My guess is that the gas bottle will still be there.

With any luck, and if my health continues to hold out, I may risk a trip down there at some point this year, as I would like to cycle along the trackbed of the old line from Cosne to Bourges,…if it’s actually possible to do so. It could also quite possibly prove to be the last trip for me and the old C quinze…but we’ll see.

Brilliant old cartes postales by the way. The silos, or water tanks, or whatever they are have disappeared obviously, but apart from that, there doesn’t appear to have been many other changes in over a hundred years. But then, the same thing can be said for many places in France. Maybe that’s one of the major attractions of the place.

The loco in the shot from 1918 would appear to heading towards Cosne if I’m not mistaken.

The picture taken in 2009 , I don’t know if it was taken by yourself or not, but 2009 would have been the year that I panelled out the Euro-Remorque under the shelter of the overhanging canopy of the former goods warehouse ( now used as a council storage building I believe) and disposed of the offcuts in that white benne shown in your picture. I’m surprised I’m not actually in the frame.

Small world or what?

It’s just a pity that they’ve recently seen fit to fence off the entire length of the place, but there you go.

All the best Froggy.

Edouard le Philistine.

Brexit…just keeps on giving…effects anyone from a third country, i.e the UK…including our children, grandchildren, family and our friends staying with us…no one saw this coming eh …

service-public.fr/particuli … Qv5-lbgFZI

This is a translation of the first 2 parts, there are several more sections to be translated

A foreigner, who wishes to come to France for a tourist stay of less than 3 months, must present proof of accommodation. This document, called the reception certificate, is drawn up by the person who will welcome them at their home during their stay in France. The request is made at the town hall. The certificate is issued if the host meets certain conditions. In case of refusal, appeals are possible.

Part 2

The reception certificate is a form completed and signed by a person who undertakes to accommodate a foreigner at his home during his stay in France.

It must be validated by the town hall before the visa application (or before travel in case of visa waiver).

The reception certificate is issued if the host meets certain conditions. It must be sent abroad before its departure.

It indicates in particular the following elements:

Identity of the signatory
Passport number, identity and nationality of the foreigner hosted (and those of his spouse and minor children if they are accompanying him)
Planned reception area and accommodation characteristics
Identity of the person who takes out insurance covering (up to a minimum of € 30,000) the expenses for any care received during the stay in France
It must be validated by the town hall before the visa application (or before travel in case of visa waiver).

It must then be sent abroad before its departure. The original can be checked by the police authorities in the context of transits.