Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Sorry it’s not old French lorries, but I’ve not seen, or ever imagined anything like this…its an eye opener…

youtu.be/RQP_gD7GfDU

I had seen thhis video somewhere before, probably on a railway forum. It would be interesting to know how long it takes to assemble such a train, and how they do it. I guess the semi-trailers must have a built-in coupling equipment and a special chassis.

Simpler than one could think:
youtube.com/watch?v=ozqY3Ze4sAU

Bike ride this morning on the Nantes / Brest canal, saw this old girl parked up at Pontivy…in pretty good condition considering, make a great classic…

Can’t turn the pic around, if someone could, appreciated…

Done
I drove one of them from Southampton to Copenhagen and re loaded Sweden many moons ago what an awful gutless noisy heap of crap that was only consolation was, it was a sleeper cab.

4C3C45DD-7932-48AA-BB53-5045CFC07952.jpeg

I have a painful memory of two journeys with a MB 608 in 1980/81. The first took me South of Arcachon and back the same day (over 1000 kms). The second up in North France in winter; no bunk, and I had to sleep (I’m 6 ft) on the front seats in a duvet, without even a curtain, between a main road and a railway line, somewhere near Lens or some other awful place in that area. Noisy, shaky and rather slow, but valiant.

Thanks robthedog and Paul…perhaps that’s why she’s in reasonable condition and parked up then…she’s crap… :unamused: … I’m guessing she was only on local work, so the drivers didn’t get your long distance experiences… :wink:

Froggy55:
Simpler than one could think:
youtube.com/watch?v=ozqY3Ze4sAU

Fergie47:
Sorry it’s not old French lorries, but I’ve not seen, or ever imagined anything like this…its an eye opener…

youtu.be/RQP_gD7GfDU

Wow, I’ve never seen something like that before!!! Very interesting indeed, thanks for the links gents :wink:

Fergie47:
Thanks robthedog and Paul…perhaps that’s why she’s in reasonable condition and parked up then…she’s crap… :unamused: … I’m guessing she was only on local work, so the drivers didn’t get your long distance experiences… :wink:

Don’t reckon that type was designed for long distance work, was it? Would make a great campervan though, I’m actually tempted to get my hands on it… hang on… it’s probably fitted with a manual 'box? Right, next please :laughing:

I saw these two last week in eastern Germany, not sure if they were for sale though…

Froggy55:
I had seen thhis video somewhere before, probably on a railway forum. It would be interesting to know how long it takes to assemble such a train, and how they do it. I guess the semi-trailers must have a built-in coupling equipment and a special chassis.

BRS trialled a similar set up in the UK, I wonder if anyone on here had experience of them? Not my pics.

(click on the pic twice to expand it)

Pete.

robthedog:
Done
I drove one of them from Southampton to Copenhagen and re loaded Sweden many moons ago what an awful gutless noisy heap of crap that was only consolation was, it was a sleeper cab.

When I drove for Harrier Express we had one as a puddle-jumper. It had been the boss’s original O/D vehicle. It only did 50 mph but it was indestructible. I did some long-distance UK work in it between artic work and rather liked the old girl. It was sold on as an export vehicle and ended up on a Greek island still working for it’s living I understand. It had a 130 lump and a manual 5-sp box. It was on a W-plate. Here’s a pic:

Found this one on a French forum this morning. Obviously a Volvo 495, but who will say more about it? Very well equipped, but could it have been used on journeys to the Middle-East with refrigerated sea products? Thanks.

This a Titan 495 with BéGé cab, before the launch of the “8” system in 1966. One other Volvo bonneted tractor in Norway.

Spotted this old ■■■■■■■ the ring road of Gothenburg today, I thought I’d recognised it from somewhere and a quick search brought me to this clip on YouTube;

youtu.be/X2Ywe_46yKE

It’s now 34 years old, and still earning it’s keep!

20200814_155632.jpg

Froggy55:
0Found this one on a French forum this morning. Obviously a Volvo 495, but who will say more about it? Very well equipped, but could it have been used on journeys to the Middle-East with refrigerated sea products? Thanks.

I once met a Norwegian driver in Spain, he did a roundtrip from Bergen to, I think, Madrid with salmon and than went back to Boulogne sur Mer for his backload to Norway.

He was driving a Volvo with the max. output at the time, think it was the 610hp version, a very smart looking outfit and he surely covered some miles in it!

The “Titan” you’ve posted could have been doing the same trip Paul :wink:

Thanks, Patrick. I would certainly prefer the 610 bhp FH to the Titan for such a journey!

Froggy55:
Found this one on a French forum this morning. Obviously a Volvo 495, but who will say more about it? Very well equipped, but could it have been used on journeys to the Middle-East with refrigerated sea products? Thanks.

Hey froggy
this is another photo of that unit

(copyright of Raymond Larsen)

a man called Raymond Larsen put these photos of his fathers lorry on the Bergli truckstop forum

berglitruckstop.no/viewtopic … 34&t=11795

His father used it on routes from nord norway to Oslo, Sweden and Finland. Raymond Larsen himself, later drove fish all over europe for companies like Sties, Davidsons, etc… and he is a fount of knowledge concerning nord norwegian transport.

Sadly this forum stopped being active, but is/was in the transport historie thread a treasure on old norwegian companies and stories…

Thanks for the picture! If I base myself on the food supply on the roof of the tractor, that guy was certainly on a long trip! I hope he had a proper heating!

Froggy55:
Thanks for the picture! If I base myself on the food supply on the roof of the tractor, that guy was certainly on a long trip! I hope he had a proper heating!

If you consider that Tromso in nord norway trough sweden to oslo is about 1800 km one way, and the conditions of the roads in those days…,it certainly were long trips. If you want photos of a snowy landscape, go and have a look on that site :smiley: .