Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Fergie47:

ERF-NGC-European:
I wouldn’t want to be learning to drive in that Renault 4CV! They had a normal gearshift but no clutch pedal. They had a ‘traffic-clutch’ which engaged automatically as you slipped the gear into position. If you were at a junction, once the gear was in the slot, you were away, ready or not! I last drove one in Dec 1969.

A boy racer version…owned by the patron of the local transport restaurant.

I like the Gordini livery on it!

It’s probably got bigger carbs on it as well I imagine?

Saviem JM 200T x 2 with fridge semitrailers.

Latil H2 (c. 1950), powered by a 120 bhp upgraded Gardner engine. The dolly trailer is obviously made with the rear axle of a scrapped truck.

youtu.be/-SwWwD0AELk
French lorry driver of the year, or its equivalent.

Might have linked this one before, but here it is anyway:
youtube.com/watch?v=8r3i5GO-zvY&t=590s

At about 11 minutes, there is footage of the earlier Berliet kitchen cab (not Le Centaure), that we discussed a few pages back. The film is dated 1975, so that gives an idea of the date of that vehicle.

[zb]
anorak:
Might have linked this one before, but here it is anyway:
youtube.com/watch?v=8r3i5GO-zvY&t=590s

At about 11 minutes, there is footage of the earlier Berliet kitchen cab (not Le Centaure), that we discussed a few pages back. The film is dated 1975, so that gives an idea of the date of that vehicle.

The coach is a Berliet Cruisair. I had one at a time (1979), powered by a GM 6V 53 two-stroke V6 diesel; a brilliant engine!

Froggy55:
0Latil H2 (c. 1950), powered by a 120 bhp upgraded Gardner engine. The dolly trailer is obviously made with the rear axle of a scrapped truck.

Hi Froggy, I am a bit confused, Is the Dolly attached only to the load of tree trunks, or is it
coupled to the rear of the Latil lorry ■■, and is the load pivoted on the flat bed of the lorry //.

Cheers, Ray.

I’d say"yes to both your questions. “Certainly yes” to the second, and “probably yes” to the first.

youtu.be/_fLyaBtpJv0

Nice old nostalgic film…not just the wagon, but everything around it…

Thanks, Dave, for this exceptionnally interesting document!

Froggy55:
Thanks, Dave, for this exceptionnally interesting document!

Interesting wasn’t it Paul, no autoroutes or by-passes then, so all on N roads and through the town’s and villages, pity it wasn’t a longer film…

I perfectly remember Brel’s premises in Montpellier. When I was training for my heavy truck driving license early in 1980, we used to park our Berliet TR 260 on the ground of a truck garage next to Brel’s. At that time, they still had at least one Pacific, but I never saw it on the road.

Fergie47:
https://youtu.be/_fLyaBtpJv0

Nice old nostalgic film…not just the wagon, but everything around it…

What a fantastic clip Senior, cheers :wink: Funny that it’s about what we talked about the other day…

Some fascinating trailer too, looks like it’s brand new and on it’s way for delivery?

michel:

Cheers Michel, great photo!

Froggy55:
I perfectly remember Brel’s premises in Montpellier. When I was training for my heavy truck driving license early in 1980, we used to park our Berliet TR 260 on the ground of a truck garage next to Brel’s. At that time, they still had at least one Pacific, but I never saw it on the road.

transports-brel.fr/photos/

They’re still operating from Montpellier, what would the chances be of them still having a Pacific or Berliet…?

There’s the answer with these Google Street View screen copies. Still at the same crossroads along the D 132 Zone Industrielle du Mas d’Astre, and the have kept a Berliet TBO 15 M3 as a relic next to their main entrance.

Froggy55:
There’s the answer with these Google Street View screen copies. Still at the same crossroads along the D 132 Zone Industrielle du Mas d’Astre, and the have kept a Berliet TBO 15 M3 as a relic next to their main entrance.

Great detective work there Paul, merci beaucoup :wink: Good to see that they’ve kept one of their older wagons, more firms should have done that IMHO…

A late reply regarding the Bussings on the previous page, but this is the oldest one I could find in my shoe box collection.

Looks to me it’s a first WW ambulance or sanitary vehicle. The brick house could put the shot in North France 1914-18.