Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

pv83:
As much as I like to see the older English makes, they weren’t in the same league as the “continental” contesters were they? As you say Senior, that must have been quite a shock to discover you could have a insulated cab, sleeper cab, a decent engine, seats with air suspension etc. I really wonder why it took 'em so long to catch up with the rest? IMHO the ERF C series and Foden 4000 series came close, but by then the war was already lost…? Putting my PPM’s on now, as I expect a lot of impact from the more experienced lads!

No flack whips, it’s true, for a whole host of reasons…first Volvo I had was an F86, I thought it was the dogs knob at 32 ton, in Europe they were used as a local delivery wagons like Coca-Cola !..the UK, always behind…

pv83:
Great, good thing you didn’t chucked that in the bin yet Senior :wink: Makes me wonder though… would those bulbs be available in H7 form?

Pretty sure not, too modern I think…

The gotra daf is interesting, its the lower type cab but with a raised bit over the sleeper area, would that be to make room for a double bunk is is it just to walk on after climbing the ladder to attend to the fridge unit?

Great photos as ever.

vwvanman0:
The gotra daf is interesting, its the lower type cab but with a raised bit over the sleeper area, would that be to make room for a double bunk is is it just to walk on after climbing the ladder to attend to the fridge unit?

Great photos as ever.

Think it’s a re-enforced panel so the driver can stand on the roof for checking the reefer unit…

F 86 with ‘Globetrotter’ cab in Netherlands.

Fergie47:

vwvanman0:

Great photos as ever.

Think it’s a re-enforced panel so the driver can stand on the roof for checking the reefer unit…

Had me fooled as well, as I thought it was a raised roof, just like the Maggies had…

michel:
F 86 with ‘Globetrotter’ cab in Netherlands.

Now, not everyone might agree with me here, but that looks the bee’s knees!

Nice one Michel, merci :wink:

Some old Bernard CA 6 LW, powered by a 105/110 bhp Gardner 6 LW engine. Around 1950.

Latil H12B10L firework in Saar country:

mix of old and black and white pics

Village scenes

Couple old market / farm photos

Nostalgic old pic…they seem happy enough…

Fergie47:

Fab pictures Fergie,love the bull nosed French motors,thanks for putting them on.

David

5thwheel:

Fergie47:

Fab pictures Fergie,love the bull nosed French motors,thanks for putting them on.

David

Thank you…

Hopefully Froggy will be along shortly and give you the year. model, and engine details of most of them, that’s what makes them so much more interesting…

Froggy55:
Some old Bernard CA 6 LW, powered by a 105/110 bhp Gardner 6 LW engine. Around 1950.

Is the unit shown in the second pic fitted with a sleeper cab Paul?

Fergie47:

Cracking footage once again Senior, cheers!

What make are the wagons shown in pic 1 and 3? The one in pic 1 looks a bit like a Willeme, but just a bit different. The one in pic 3 could be ex-military fitted with a home built cab? Looks quite decent though.

I wouldn’t want to be learning to drive in that Renault 4CV! They had a normal gearshift but no clutch pedal. They had a ‘traffic-clutch’ which engaged automatically as you slipped the gear into position. If you were at a junction, once the gear was in the slot, you were away, ready or not! I last drove one in Dec 1969.

ERF-NGC-European:
I wouldn’t want to be learning to drive in that Renault 4CV! They had a normal gearshift but no clutch pedal. They had a ‘traffic-clutch’ which engaged automatically as you slipped the gear into position. If you were at a junction, once the gear was in the slot, you were away, ready or not! I last drove one in Dec 1969.

A boy racer version…owned by the patron of the local transport restaurant.

IMG_20181016_134043.jpg

Fergie47:

An interesting mix. The first is a Willème L 10 T, powered by a 13.7 litres 150 bhp straight-6. The last is a Willème K 15-6, powered by the straight-8 version of the same engine (225 bhp). Both c. 1950 and without power steering. Very interesting too is pic 3; a Labourier built on an ex- US army Corbitt or similar wrecker chassis, and probably powered by a 150/180 bhp Berliet engine. Strangely for an American chassis, it’s RHD.

ERF-NGC-European:

There were 4CV with classic gearboxes/clutches. My brother had a delightful metallic blue one back in the early 60´s. They were cute little cars.