Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Two nice and neat Krupp trucks, maybe ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

The Friderici history can be read here on their webpage. https://www.friderici.com/en/the-business/our-history/

I once got a life in one when hitching a lift to Belgium from the UK - many moons ago when I was a wee laddie and when one was permitted to take passengers. The driver was an Englishman who lived near Dover and was on a weekly Switzerland/UK run.

ERF-NGC-European:
Well-known Dutch co. Ro

I’ve heard of Newexco but didn’t knew they were called Ro…? :wink:

Quite a big firm in the north of Holland in it’s heyday, with a lot of owner drivers. Sadly all gone now, as the mother company Schenker sold it to De Bruijn, who themselves were taken over by Vos logistics. So both familiar liveries all gone within a couple of years…

Here’s a link with some more pic’s and a short history about Newexco albeit in Dutch…

robelskamp.com/n/newexco-winschoten/

jsutherland:
The Friderici history can be read here on their webpage. https://www.friderici.com/en/the-business/our-history/

I once got a life in one when hitching a lift to Belgium from the UK - many moons ago when I was a wee laddie and when one was permitted to take passengers. The driver was an Englishman who lived near Dover and was on a weekly Switzerland/UK run.

Interesting link herr Sutherland, cheers :wink:

I had the priviledge of visiting Uganda for 3 and a half weeks over the Christmas/New year to visit a family member doing volunteer work there.

I took one or two photos… I haven’t sorted them all out, but I did take a number of lorry pictures. Some of the loaded lorries would probably pass a roadside inspection in Europe, others would definately not.

One notable member on here thinks some of you might be interested in seeing a few of them. As I sort them out I’ll post anything “interesting”. Please shout stop, since I don’t want to bore you all with holiday pictures.

A Fuso lorry loaded with bananas

This lorry loaded with bananas was not the youngest and the descent was quite steep with many corners and went on for about 5-6 kilometers. He was moving at around 5-10 km/h depending on teh severity of the incline.

I saw many creative ways of transporting goods on the “bodas” - motorbikes (50-100cc engines). Here the rider is transporting a small sofa.

In Uganda I saw mostly German makes for the articulated lorries - Mercedes, MAN being very common with a smattering of Scanias. I also saw a few Ivecos and only saw one Volvo. In the lower weight range, it was mostly Fuso, which is from Mitsubishi. Cars - it felt like at least 90% of them were Toyota.

jsutherland:
In Uganda I saw mostly German makes for the articulated lorries - Mercedes, MAN being very common with a smattering of Scanias. I also saw a few Ivecos and only saw one Volvo. In the lower weight range, it was mostly Fuso, which is from Mitsubishi. Cars - it felt like at least 90% of them were Toyota.

Great pic’s mate, gives us bit of a insight in how they do things down there. And as long as you don’t post pic’s of yourself trying to get a tan on your legs, please keep them coming!

Shows you how solid those Teutonic engineered lorries are, a point Merc fan nr.1 Pete Smith has tried to tell us over and over again :wink:

It was a wee bit chilly where this wagon ended up…

jsutherland:
It was a wee bit chilly where this wagon ended up…

Rural Perthshire? :laughing:

pv83:

jsutherland:

Great pic’s mate, gives us bit of a insight in how they do things down there. And as long as you don’t post pic’s of yourself trying to get a tan on your legs, please keep them coming!

Shows you how solid those Teutonic engineered lorries are, a point Merc fan nr.1 Pete Smith has tried to tell us over and over again :wink:

I’m that much of a Merc fan I had this one brand new, 2 days later I asked for my Leyland Roadtrain back!
Edit, cannot attache the pic. It was a 1726 bag of spanners

This is the way they transport cattle in Uganda - some with huge horns. The herders travel in the back with the animals. Not for the faint hearted…

Wide load…

I have posted a few pictures of a wide load I encountered in Uganda on the “Heavy Haulage through the years” thread - "Heavy Haulage through the years" - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK - in case you are interested. I thought it was more suitable for the other thread.

The tarmac in Uganda looks rather neat. Are all main roads as good?

Froggy55:
The tarmac in Uganda looks rather neat. Are all main roads as good?

Hi Froggy55,
unfortunately not. In fact, not so many are. This was the best part we drove on. It was the main road from the capital, Kampala to the south west corner of Uganda - to the border with Rwanda and Congo.

As I slowly sort out the pictures, I’ll post a few of the “main” roads. For one route we took we planned to drive 200 km and thought, we should manage that easily in a day, no problem on the main road which was on the map. We only managed just over half of the distance and had to stop when darkness fell. You just don’t drive in the dark due to the road conditions - mostly dirt tracks with sometimes huge axle breaking holes and also the issue with other traffic with little or sometimes no lights at all :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . It also gets dark at more or less the same time all year round and very quickly.

There is just not a way of getting away from them - DHL in Uganda - https://www.logistics.dhl/ug-en/home.html!!

Need to change a tyre, any place, any time. Inner tubes are still often used.

Heading home for the Christmas break - everything bar the kitchen sink :smiley: :smiley: Patrick pointed out, good to see the rider is taking health and safety “seriously” with wearing a Hi-vis :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

jsutherland:
Heading home for the Christmas break - everything bar the kitchen sink :smiley: :smiley: Patrick pointed out, good to see the rider is taking health and safety “seriously” with wearing a Hi-vis :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

His wife has a more relaxed attitude- she isn’t even wearing a fez.

Don’t know whether we should laugh at them- that might be the sum total of their possessions. :open_mouth:

jsutherland:
There is just not a way of getting away from them - DHL in Uganda - https://www.logistics.dhl/ug-en/home.html!!

Need to change a tyre, any place, any time. Inner tubes are still often used.

Great pics Johnny, wondered where you had been. :smiley: You have to laugh at what they carry / load on those mopeds. :laughing:

Unique trailer … for Unic truck

Nico-0027.jpg

[zb]
anorak:

jsutherland:

His wife has a more relaxed attitude- she isn’t even wearing a fez.

Don’t know whether we should laugh at them- that might be the sum total of their possessions. :open_mouth:

A good point Anorak. It certainly made one very grateful for things we take for granted in Europe e.g. turn on a tap in the home and water comes out, a warm shower is a luxury, stable electricity or even electricity at all.