Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

These are common sights - bananas piled as high as possible

People either hitching a lift or getting a lift home from work.

jsutherland:

[zb]
anorak:

jsutherland:
Heading home for the Christmas break - everything bar the kitchen sink :smiley: :smiley: Patrick pointed out, good to see the rider is taking health and safety “seriously” with wearing a Hi-vis :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

His wife has a more relaxed attitude- she isn’t even wearing a fez.

Don’t know whether we should laugh at them- that might be the sum total of their possessions. :open_mouth:

A good point Anorak. It certainly made one very grateful for things we take for granted in Europe e.g. turn on a tap in the home and water comes out, a warm shower is a luxury, stable electricity or even electricity at all.

I and my family have spent quite a bit of my life working in developing countries (they used to be called 3rd world, but that is not PC nowadays) like Uganda. My kids grew up witnessing life there but I always remind my Grandchildren that the lives we live, i.e. with accommodation, running water, power, education etc., is shared by just a minority of humans on this planet. I tell them to always be mindful of just how lucky we are that our ancestors settled where they did and not in less-favoured areas. And to do what they can to help others less fortunate.

Sorry. Well off-topic…

combi89:

Looks it’s a Rochet-Schneider. Is it the same Nicolas that made the trailors?

Rochet-Schneider with the last bonnet.

jsutherland:

[zb]
anorak:

jsutherland:
Heading home for the Christmas break - everything bar the kitchen sink :smiley: :smiley: Patrick pointed out, good to see the rider is taking health and safety “seriously” with wearing a Hi-vis :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Don’t know whether we should laugh at them- that might be the sum total of their possessions. :open_mouth:

A good point Anorak. It certainly made one very grateful for things we take for granted in Europe e.g. turn on a tap in the home and water comes out, a warm shower is a luxury, stable electricity or even electricity at all.

Despite all that… they might be happy just to be with each other… and that’s coming from a quite cynical person :wink:

Great pic’s Johnny, is there more?

Dipster:

jsutherland:

[zb]
anorak:

jsutherland:

I and my family have spent quite a bit of my life working in developing countries (they used to be called 3rd world, but that is not PC nowadays) like Uganda. My kids grew up witnessing life there but I always remind my Grandchildren that the lives we live, i.e. with accommodation, running water, power, education etc., is shared by just a minority of humans on this planet. I tell them to always be mindful of just how lucky we are that our ancestors settled where they did and not in less-favoured areas. And to do what they can to help others less fortunate.

Sorry. Well off-topic…

In which period of time did that took place Dipster? 70’s and 80’s?

Some “usual” suspects fitted with unusual cabs or bodywork…

84388177_2639807259460377_777150370588655616_n.jpg

Pubquiz question… what is it?

78671739_1407603909420383_2597679826454183936_n.jpg

[/quote]
[/quote]

Sorry. Well off-topic…
[/quote]
[/quote]
Just seen this- mid 70´s to 6 years ago, when I retired.

Dipster:

[/quote]

Sorry. Well off-topic…
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
No worries mate… but that’s quite a long time, did you stay throughout that whole period? Bet you’ve got some stories to tell then…?

Sorry. Well off-topic…
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
No worries mate… but that’s quite a long time, did you stay throughout that whole period? Bet you’ve got some stories to tell then…?
[/quote]
Yes, my wife and I were overseas all that time. We (and the kids when they came along) loved every minute. Many happy memories too.

jsutherland:
I had the priviledge of visiting Uganda for 3 and a half weeks over the Christmas/New year to visit a family member doing volunteer work there.
]

Cracking photos Johnny, a real eye opener…there are several utube videos of the…worse / dangerous / mud / highest etc roads throughout the world…makes Europe look pretty tame compared, they’re fascinating pictures in to other drivers lives…
Keep them coming

One for froggy…was this in the day when the poste use to also be a “bus service” to the local villages ?

Fergie47:
One for froggy…was this in the day when the poste use to also be a “bus service” to the local villages ?

I like the letter-box (I think it is) on the end of the bumper!

Dipster:

Fergie47:

What about the passenger probing deep space? :laughing: :laughing: or is he showing the camera
his displeasure? Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Dipster:

Fergie47:

What about the passenger probing deep space? :laughing: :laughing: or is he showing the camera

I wonder if he is a relative of Syd Snot :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Bernard Tractor preserved.

kevmac47:

Dipster:

Fergie47:

He’s just doing what most of us do all day long! The van is a Renault R 2060 Voltigeur or Goélette, produced from c. 1946 to c. 1965.

During my travels in Uganda I came across a few broken down vehicles - not many all the same. Warning of a broken down vehicle is often via branches laid out on the road - before and after the vehicle - see picture below. This Mercedes was already broken down at this place near the top of a very long steep climb when we passed 2 days before. On our return journey I took these photos. When I passed them, it looked like they had the drive axle in pieces at the side of the road.

In this picture you can see the lads working on the problem. A tad unsafe, as this was a busy main road.

jsutherland:
During my travels in Uganda I came across a few broken down vehicles - not many all the same. Warning of a broken down vehicle is often via branches laid out on the road - before and after the vehicle - see picture below. This Mercedes was already broken down at this place near the top of a very long steep climb when we passed 2 days before. On our return journey I took these photos. When I passed them, it looked like they had the drive axle in pieces at the side of the road.

In this picture you can see the lads working on the problem. A tad unsafe, as this was a busy main road.

In my experience it is not unusual for broken down vehicle to be on the roadside for a couple of weeks in Africa while spares are sought and repairs made.

On roadside disasters I recall often-and I do mean often-seeing totally burnt out artics that all seemed to have been transporting what looked like cotton bales. I do not know why so many seemed to burn. I also recall driving from Lagos, Nigeria to Benin one afternoon and came upon the smouldering remains of a fuel tanker that had overturned. It just so happened (Murphys law) that it did so right at the place where a small village of huts was roadside. The whole lot had gone up. I can only imagine the number of horrific injuries and deaths this caused.

But it was just another day…