Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

jsutherland:
The following gearlever picture was in a magazine with the challenge of identifying the vehicle it was in. Any guesses? I’ll reveal the answer later.

Apparently the said (not so well known, but assembled in Europe) truck can still be ordered with it.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

rigsby:
Looks a bit like my friend’s F90 MAN round about late 90s/early 2000s .

Shortly drove a F2000 high roof cab with a ZF 16 speed 'box, of the “slap over” type, loved it! After that I was given a Scanny with a 8 speed 'box, although the engine was quite good on torque, the gap in the gearchanges were a bit too big in my opinion… sorry, going a wee bit off topic here… as you were… :wink:

jsutherland:
The following gearlever picture was in a magazine with the challenge of identifying the vehicle it was in. Any guesses? I’ll reveal the answer later.

Probably a ZF Eco-split 'box. They had that pattern with the slap-across range-change. I drove all sorts of lorries with that 'box in: Mercs, MANs, Renaults. The knob is vaguely ZF-shaped too. Robert

I say ZF too, the Eaton S series had the same shift pattern, but reverse was in the forward position IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Well done to the eagle eyed gentlemen - newmercman and Robert.

mystery_gearbox.jpg

It is indeed a ZF. A manual box in a new truck is quite a novelty these days - who would have thought that 25 years ago.

The truck it was in was a Sinotruk 8x4 tipper. They are Chinese but some are also assembled in Eire. I had only ever heard of the Hino before this.

Sinotruk-HOWO-6x4-Dump-Truck-FTipper-Truck.jpg

I was never a fan of the EcoSplit box, the only decent installation was in the earlier 95 Dafs, before the hydraulic linkage, lift the collar for high range and twist it to split, much nicer to use than the slap across versions, especially in the 28/33/3600 Dafs with the broom handle gearstick, the Merc installation was a little better, but still not great.

jsutherland:

It is indeed a ZF. A manual box in a new truck is quite a novelty these days - who would have thought that 25 years ago.

The truck it was in was a Sinotruk 8x4 tipper. They are Chinese but some are also assembled in Eire. I had only ever heard of the Hino before this.

A Volvo FL cab with a re-styled grill!

newmercman:
I was never a fan of the EcoSplit box, the only decent installation was in the earlier 95 Dafs, before the hydraulic linkage, lift the collar for high range and twist it to split, much nicer to use than the slap across versions, especially in the 28/33/3600 Dafs with the broom handle gearstick, the Merc installation was a little better, but still not great.

+1. IMHO DAF 95 was the only ZF installation that really felt right :sunglasses: . Robert

Hey,

Robert, Never liked even hated the slap across, pitty Daf used it for years on their Fullers, luckely was the 95 again the common gearstick.

Furthermore I only could live with the following three. Volvo’s 8/16 speed, ZF’s 6 speed with splitter and of course the RTO…13. :smiley: :smiley:

Eric,

Fergie47:
Two sad old pic’s…left to rot.

Second picture is a SM 340 VT; an export model with its protruding headlamps.

pete smith:

jsutherland:

These vehicles are popular in Africa. I imagine that’s because of national trade deals done with China, price and, most importantly for Africa, relative simpliicity.

My oversize Berliet ! :wink:

A nice display of heavy Berliets!

Here’s one of mine (scale 1/43).

pete smith:

jsutherland:

Foreign muck!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=l_LkfYvn5rs

youtube.com/watch?v=lvrQOR9PoJ4

pv83:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LkfYvn5rs

Yet another great contribution from you, pv83, and an interesting couple of clips. Just a detail: at the moment we are encouraging posters to place a quick line of explanation with unaccompanied links :wink: , thank you!

Robert

pv83:

A couple of nice finds there Patrick.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

ERF-NGC-European:

pv83:

Yet another great contribution from you, pv83, and an interesting couple of clips. Just a detail: at the moment we are encouraging posters to place a quick line of explanation with unaccompanied links :wink: , thank you!

Robert

Cheers for the heads up, must have missed that memo… :wink: I’ll get me coat…

pv83:

Just saw these. Very interesting and thanks to PV83 for posting.

The first has a couple of points I found interesting. The first is that the driver for this Berliet, the first of this model shipped to Algeria, was chosen by a competition organised by Radio Luxembourg! I wonder whether present day manufacturers could revise this for new models?!
The second was the payload mentioned-50 tonnes!

I wondered also whether, had the slings failed when it was hoisted over the water, whether it would have floated on those massive tyres…probably not.

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:

pv83:

Robert

Cheers for the heads up, must have missed that memo… :wink: I’ll get me coat…

:laughing: :laughing: