Save money if nearing D4 medical time

If you have a D4 medical coming up in the near future - see expiry date on cat C on the photo licence - then get your photo renewed NOW even if it has years to go

It seems that renewing the photo gets a new EU style licence issued with LGV/PCV expiry dates listed as 5 years from the issue of the new style licence

It has happen to me and at least 3 others that I know of in the last few months

The new photo will be valid for 10 years even if it says 5 on the new licence

My next D4 was to be Dec 2014 but photo changed in Aug 2013 and new LGV expiry date Aug 2018 = all perfectly ok with DVLA = thanks a lot :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ROG:
If you have a D4 medical coming up in the near future - see expiry date on cat C on the photo licence - then get your photo renewed NOW even if it has years to go

It seems that renewing the photo gets a new EU style licence issued with LGV/PCV expiry dates listed as 5 years from the issue of the new style licence

It has happen to me and at least 3 others that I know of in the last few months

The new photo will be valid for 10 years even if it says 5 on the new licence

My next D4 was to be Dec 2014 but photo changed in Aug 2013 and new LGV expiry date Aug 2018 = all perfectly ok with DVLA = thanks a lot :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So, my medical is due 28-10-2014, and licence expires 24-07-2021, are you saying if I change photo now, would mean I could skip the medical whats due in oct 2014?

weeto:
So, my medical is due 28-10-2014, and licence expires 24-07-2021, are you saying if I change photo now, would mean I could skip the medical whats due in oct 2014?

YES - that is what seems to be happening at the moment - whether it continues and for how long is another matter so if it was me I would take the chance and renew the photo

In your case if you renew the photo now the new style licence should come back with expiry dates for LGV in Nov 2018 and the same for the photo but the photo is valid for another 5 years beyond that as it is valid for 10 years but for some odd reason they expire it in the first place at the same time the next D4 is due = Nov 2018

ROG:

weeto:

YES - that is what seems to be happening at the moment - whether it continues and for how long is another matter so if it was me I would take the chance and renew the photo

In your case if you renew the photo now the new style licence should come back with expiry dates for LGV in Nov 2018 and the same for the photo but the photo is valid for another 5 years beyond that as it is valid for 10 years but for some odd reason they expire it in the first place at the same time the next D4 is due = Nov 2018

I wouldnt mind having a go at that, is it best to do the lost licence thing and get it validated at the post office with a new photo attached to the form? or would DVLA just renew it with a new photo on the form?

The lost licence worked for me as I had the DVLA photo renewal form from them but I do not know how to go with the lost licence thing without it

Suggest simply scanning the current parts both sides and then sending them off with a new photo
gov.uk/renew-photo-driving- … s-to-apply

ROG:
The lost licence worked for me as I had the DVLA photo renewal form from them but I do not know how to go with the lost licence thing without it

Suggest simply scanning the current parts both sides and then sending them off with a new photo

So, its down to them accepting an updated photo, even though the current one is valid for another 8 years, but I suppose I could shave my head so its quite different from the old one.
Oh and the one on there is at least 8 years old now, so will be 16 years old when it expires.

weeto:

ROG:

So, its down to them accepting an updated photo, even though the current one is valid for another 8 years, but I suppose I could shave my head so its quite different from the old one.
Oh and the one on there is at least 8 years old now, so will be 16 years old when it expires.

The new photo can be submitted at any time and will be valid for 10 years from when they receive it - it does not get added to the original photo date

ROG:

weeto:

ROG:

The new photo can be submitted at any time and will be valid for 10 years from when they receive it - it does not get added to the original photo date

I’m gonna give it ago, I will let ya know how I get on Rog.

i wonder if this works on the change of address as well.

as from what i have read its all to do with any changes and them having to send a new licence out.

ROG:

weeto:

ROG I’m surprised at you, a former instructor, promoting this. If the basis of this was to save renewing a photo, well and good, but however you dress it up skipping a medical (even though DVLA seem to be sanctioning it) is playing with fire.

Scenario; driver does as you suggest, say 4 years down the line he has an accident where someone gets killed. Check on records reveals that he has not had an HGV medical for nine years. Insurance refuses to pay out, etc, etc.

I’d sooner have the medical and stay honest, thank you. I know we get ripped off for the cost of them but IMO this is a price worth paying.

Safety wise its no different from car drivers aged over 70 or LGV drivers under age 45 doing medical self assessments

If it was deemed unsafe then why does DVLA allow it to happen?

I was wondering whether a change of address would end up with the same result - maybe someone over age 40 will post if they have done that recently

Sorry for my total ignorance on this, but what actually is a new style EU licence and how does it differ from the current photocard and paper counterpart that I currently have? If they only last for 5 years, is that for everybody, even if you pass your test at 21, do you still need to renew it with a new medical every 5 years or is that still only for those 45 years and older?

robinhood_1984:
Sorry for my total ignorance on this, but what actually is a new style EU licence and how does it differ from the current photocard and paper counterpart that I currently have? If they only last for 5 years, is that for everybody, even if you pass your test at 21, do you still need to renew it with a new medical every 5 years or is that still only for those 45 years and older?

nidirect.gov.uk/the-new-driv … -explained

The new LGV/PCV medical rules mean that those under age 45 have to SELF medically state they are fit to drive every 5 years - the same as those age 70+ do for the car licence

After (not always at exactly) age 45 a D4 medical will be needed every 5 years unless a short term one is needed due to a medical condition

I don’t think I’d take a risk with this, yes the DVLA do make blunders but who do you think will be held responsible for knowingly driving past their 5 yearly medical term, as is stated a D4 is required every 5 yrs after the age of 45 !

Trev_H:
I don’t think I’d take a risk with this, yes the DVLA do make blunders but who do you think will be held responsible for knowingly driving past their 5 yearly medical term, as is stated a D4 is required every 5 yrs after the age of 45 !

It is not a DVLA blunder - it is their interpretation on how the new EU directive works which is then legally binding on the driver

If the EU parliament decides that the UK Govt DVLA section has been doing things illegally then the fireworks will fly and the UK govt and not the drivers will be in hot water

Before this new directive I was on a 3 year short term LGV so did D4 in 2008 then eye only in 2011 as D4 not due til 2013 - at least that’s what I thought … but it came back with a 2014 expiry date
I was told that because of the 3 yearly eye check the expiry date got extended a year … 3 + 3 = 6
I was surprised so asked for a letter explaining this and I have that in my possession

Under the new directive my 3 yearly eye check has also gone out of the window

The DVLA seems to be a law unto themselves and whatever they say is right !

And God bless 'em for it Rog , I will abide by their instructions to the letter .
Jim

ROG - Would the driving licence still get renewed in the same way if the photo & signature were taken from a recent (less than 5 years ago) digital passport? Enabling me to renew on-line.
Thus removing the requirement to ‘send in’ a recent photo/application form/old licence & counterpart?

I’m thinking of doing this on-line mainly to get ‘new-style’ photocard licence, but will be interesting as to what my C, C +E, D and D + E expiry dates come back as, maybe I’ll get a few more years until my 1st medical since ‘L’ plates back in 1991. Medical should be due at 45 (early 2015) - so we’ll see what happens!!!

Daz1970:
ROG - Would the driving licence still get renewed in the same way if the photo & signature were taken from a recent (less than 5 years ago) digital passport? Enabling me to renew on-line.
Thus removing the requirement to ‘send in’ a recent photo/application form/old licence & counterpart?

I’m thinking of doing this on-line mainly to get ‘new-style’ photocard licence, but will be interesting as to what my C, C +E, D and D + E expiry dates come back as, maybe I’ll get a few more years until my 1st medical since ‘L’ plates back in 1991. Medical should be due at 45 (early 2015) - so we’ll see what happens!!!

I do not know for certain so why not be the first one to try that :bulb:

ril4881:
i wonder if this works on the change of address as well.

Not according to this.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/motoring/driver-licensing/changes-to-driving-licence-rules-from-19-january-2013/bus-and-lorry-drivers-new-driving-licence-validity-periods.htm

The second paragraph under Existing drivers under age 45

If you have a current 10-year licence and apply to update it because it is lost or stolen, or because your personal details have changed, we will give you a licence which runs to the end of your original period.

ROG:

Daz1970:

I do not know for certain so why not be the first one to try that :bulb:

Done!!! All on-line, strangely the system allowed me to use photo from passport…which is same as the one on my current photo-card driving licence. As I said, not bothered as I really just want the updated version of the photocard licence, but if medical validity comes back extended…bonus. Wait & see…cost £20.00 & 5 mins. on-line when I’d got me passport out of drawer at home!!!
I will post outcome (could be a couple of weeks).