Save money if nearing D4 medical time

ROG:
If you have a D4 medical coming up in the near future - see expiry date on cat C on the photo licence - then get your photo renewed NOW even if it has years to go

It seems that renewing the photo gets a new EU style licence issued with LGV/PCV expiry dates listed as 5 years from the issue of the new style licence

It has happen to me and at least 3 others that I know of in the last few months

The new photo will be valid for 10 years even if it says 5 on the new licence

My next D4 was to be Dec 2014 but photo changed in Aug 2013 and new LGV expiry date Aug 2018 = all perfectly ok with DVLA = thanks a lot :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think i get it.

Renewed my photo licence last year. It expires in 04/22 and my cat C expires in 11/22(aged 45). If I renew my photo licence in 04/22 my medical doesn`t need doing till 2027■■

truckerjimbo:
Renewed my photo licence last year. It expires in 04/22 and my cat C expires in 11/22(aged 45). If I renew my photo licence in 04/22 my medical doesn`t need doing till 2027■■

I doubt the current situation will carry on til then

ROG:
nidirect.gov.uk/the-new-driv … -explained

The new LGV/PCV medical rules mean that those under age 45 have to SELF medically state they are fit to drive every 5 years - the same as those age 70+ do for the car licence

After (not always at exactly) age 45 a D4 medical will be needed every 5 years unless a short term one is needed due to a medical condition

Thank you. Does this mean that so long as I keep my current type of licence (I’m 29) I won’t have to do anything at all until I’m 45 and would only have to self declare if I were to obtain a new style licence?

Edit.

I’ve read that link further and then recalled the blatantly obvious, you have to renew the photo card every so often any way so once thats been done, then I’ll be subject to this Self medical malark.

UPDATE

It does seem that everyone who changes their photo gets a LGV and PCV expiry date in 2018 which is 5 years from when the DVLA issue the new style photcard but how long this will continue is anyones guess

Just renewed my photo card licence. Same as everyone else, I’ve now got a renewal date of 2018, so three more years before I need a medical. £90 in my back pocket for a while longer. :slight_smile:

Success!!! New-style photocard arrived in 2 days…incidentally with photo taken from digital passport. Vocational entitlements now valid until 11/2018. Result!!!

to be fair, this would work if you “lost” you licence and called them up to pay the £20 fine.

I got mine through 2 days later. Sadly I cant comment on ROG’s super loophole as I am nowhere near 45 yet :smiley:

trubster:
to be fair, this would work if you “lost” you licence and called them up to pay the £20 fine.

Do not know - needs someone to try it

Daz1970:
Success!!! New-style photocard arrived in 2 days…incidentally with photo taken from digital passport. Vocational entitlements now valid until 11/2018. Result!!!

Thanks because now we know it can be done online using that method :smiley:

ROG:

trubster:

Do not know - needs someone to try it

It will, so if you have 8 years to go then “move address” or “lose” your licence and you will get a shiny new one

Does anyone know if this is still happening. Not for me, I’m only 37, but I got a couple of mates due medicals in the next 5 yrs :wink:

waynedl:
Does anyone know if this is still happening. Not for me, I’m only 37, but I got a couple of mates due medicals in the next 5 yrs :wink:

Still happening now but for how long is anyones guess

Hi Guys, I have just tried it today, applied online, so will let you know what happens soon as.

Sapper

My dad thought he’d lost his licence (later found) and renewed his licence online. He’s 65 next March but his new licence now doesn’t run out until his 66th birthday whereas before it showed his 65th. Is there still a legal requirement for him to undergo a medical at 65 or not until his licence expires?

robinhood_1984:
My dad thought he’d lost his licence (later found) and renewed his licence online. He’s 65 next March but his new licence now doesn’t run out until his 66th birthday whereas before it showed his 65th. Is there still a legal requirement for him to undergo a medical at 65 or not until his licence expires?

Ignore ages in regards to D4 medical expiry dates and go by the date that is next to the entitlements = that is the legal bit

Well, got my new licence back this morning and it seems they have moved the goalposts, still need new medical on September 2014.
sapper :frowning:

sapper:
Well, got my new licence back this morning and it seems they have moved the goalposts, still need new medical on September 2014.
sapper :frowning:

Bugger, what did you try, new photo or change of address?

A silly question, is that when your birthday is, because it coincides with the dCPC

It was a change of address Waynedl, but at least they were quick with it, applied Monday and got it back today.

Sapper

sapper:
It was a change of address Waynedl, but at least they were quick with it, applied Monday and got it back today.

Sapper

As I thought then.

Héraultais:

ril4881:
i wonder if this works on the change of address as well.

Not according to this.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/motoring/driver-licensing/changes-to-driving-licence-rules-from-19-january-2013/bus-and-lorry-drivers-new-driving-licence-validity-periods.htm

The second paragraph under Existing drivers under age 45

If you have a current 10-year licence and apply to update it because it is lost or stolen, or because your personal details have changed, we will give you a licence which runs to the end of your original period.

Héraultais:

sapper:

Sapper

As I thought then.

Héraultais:

ril4881:
i wonder if this works on the change of address as well.

Not according to this.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/motoring/driver-licensing/changes-to-driving-licence-rules-from-19-january-2013/bus-and-lorry-drivers-new-driving-licence-validity-periods.htm

The second paragraph under Existing drivers under age 45

If you have a current 10-year licence and apply to update it because it is lost or stolen, or because your personal details have changed, we will give you a licence which runs to the end of your original period.

So still possibly worth a try with a photo renewal?