Satnav new year deals

Anyone seen any deals on satnavs this year? TOMTOM seem to be avoiding deals on truck units and all the rest seem extortionately over priced crap :unamused:

Google Maps, Philips Truckers Atlas to check for bridges on unfamiliar routes and MK1 eyeball connected to MK1 brain. Quick look at Google Streetview the night before to look at the delivery location to see if you need to approach from a certain direction and whether you can just drive in or it’s better to reverse in to make life easier.

What Conor says…

Google maps are pretty good nowadays, I’ve often used it and the map, sometimes satnavs take you the worst route!!!

Tomtom for me.
Been faultless over the 4 years I’ve been using my truck version.
I’d defo buy another.

If you’re looking for an offer? Why wouldn’t you choose road lords app available for android?
I’ve never been able to get a map/atlas to show me traffic/road closures.

Narc:
Anyone seen any deals on satnavs this year? TOMTOM seem to be avoiding deals on truck units and all the rest seem extortionately over priced crap :unamused:

As we say up north “Shy bairns get nowt”, you need to ask.

A few years back I was receiving emails from TomTom telling me my car sat nav (which I no longer had) was no longer supported and offering me 33% off new (car) models. I contacted them (think it was through their FB page) saying “Thanks, but I need a truck sat nav, not a car model, can you give me the same discount?”
They responded with “Not 33% but we’ll give you 25% off a truck model”

I chose the 6250 with inclusive lifetime traffic, never led me wrong. Even though I don’t really drive trucks anymore, the traffic facility means the sat nav is still invaluable.

Tomtom truck app for android?

Narc:

Why crap , my latest ( 2 nd ) snooper has been spot on

My £70 trucktables sat nav has never let me down in over 4 years, ok it doesn’t have live traffic, just listen to the traffic reports on the radio or use it in conjunction with the traffic on google maps, I would definitely buy again.

stu675:
If you’re looking for an offer? Why wouldn’t you choose road lords app available for android?

I tried this app - it can’t plan a route out of Northern Ireland into Scotland . If it can’t do a simple task like that why would you trust it to do anything else ?

beefy4605:

stu675:

I tried this app - it can’t plan a route out of Northern Ireland into Scotland . If it can’t do a simple task like that why would you trust it to do anything else ?

I can’t guarantee it won’t wobble sometimes. But it’s been spot on enough for me, especially considering what it costs.

I wouldnt mind one of these devices but I cant justify spending 3 or 4 hundred pound.I just use google maps with low bridge finder as an add on.

hgvalliance.com/Helpful-Gui … -finder/uk

If you press the square in the top right corner of the map,it opens up in conjuction with google maps and now you have all the bridges.Its really good,I think and free

Conor:
Google Maps, Philips Truckers Atlas to check for bridges on unfamiliar routes and MK1 eyeball connected to MK1 brain. Quick look at Google Streetview the night before to look at the delivery location to see if you need to approach from a certain direction and whether you can just drive in or it’s better to reverse in to make life easier.

Not everyone’s given their run the night before chief or the same trunk run over the 66 every night, a newish driver would be better off with the Satnav until they find their feet.

I never like the idea of just following the satnav without any preperation.Its a nice idea and it would work in a perfect world.But even if you only are just given your run,I would consider it essential to have 5 minutes looking at the route and even try to remember the best you can the route you intend to take

Thank you for all the replies! I need a satnav as my memory and reading is well in decline… I actually use google or wayz plus the satnav for local stoppages or cameras etc

No deals then!
Thank you lads and all the best!

Narc:
No deals then!

Yup, sorry, I can’t do better than free.

stu675:

Narc:
No deals then!

Stu, I am going to have a look at this now pal

Thank you

Narc:

stu675:

Narc:
No deals then!

Stu, I am going to have a look at this now pal

Thank you

Great. Let me know if I can help. I recommend registering, then you can setup 3 profiles (for height etc). If it recommends upgrading to offline maps, ignore it and try searching for something simpler like just a postcode, instead of a whole address.

Conor:

I have to agree with Conor :open_mouth: :laughing: with Google earth wtf needs a sat nav .

Punchy Dan:
I have to agree with Conor :open_mouth: :laughing: with Google earth wtf needs a sat nav .

Tell that to the plethora of McBurneys drivers who come into our place with battered wind deflectors after using google maps to navigate to our Coldstore and if coming south down the A1 they are directed to turn off just after the ■■■ shop through Burton Coggles which is a five tonne weight limit and has a canopy of stout oak trees lining it!

At least three a week so far :smiley: :smiley: