Sat Nav's

I’m possibly going back tramping I’ve been on tippers for the past couple of years so I’ve never needed one , but driving Hgv1 is different weight Limits bridge heights rear Areas fuel bunkering all need to be taken into Account truck parking, so what’s a good brand I’ve noticed a few independent retailers but some reviews aren’t great I’m gonna be on Containers .

I’ve got one from this chap

cmnav.co.uk/

No issues - for the money can’t fault it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Truckulent:

cmnav.co.uk/

Cheers I’ll have a look just want something reliable thats gonna work after 12 months

Look on Amazon Warehouse, they have a few of the TomTom Truck satnavs for sale there

In my experience they are the best…and i’ve tried all the others

More expensive than most but won’t let you down

I’ve got a Garmin Dezl 1000. The fancy pants top of the range 10" model. Never used anything else so have nothing to compare it too.

Pros - it’s a decent bit of kit once you get used to it. The screen is massive, bright and the touch screen is user friendly. I can search for places on the Garmin app or Google maps, and send them to the sat nav. I can store favourites based on GPS coordinates. Has search options for truck parking and gives you live traffic if connected to your phone via hotspot/Bluetooth (will use your phone’s data). I like the magnetic pad which means just bring the tablet near the mount and it will connect up and line up itself. It asks me every time what the truck dimensions are at start up, and will remember my last used settings. Can also buy a separate reverse camera which connects wirelessly to the sat nav, and the screen will then become a reversing camera system
Because it is an android tablet underneath, am sure there will be a way to add third party apps like Netflix etc. (Haven’t tried it yet though so not a deffo). It has voice command which works ok. So I can say, ok Garmin navigate to Hilton Hotel Deansgate Manchester and it will get it right 80% of the time. If there’s a number of similar results it will list them in numbered order, and I will just say 1 or 2 or 3 to confirm which one it is. Exactly the same for making calls from your phonebook in your phone. Ok garmin, call transport office. It will list a number of options if you have a few saved in your phone and you just say 1 or 2 or 3 etc and it will make the call. The hands free phone calls I would rate 8/10. Am hard of hearing so this feature is pretty important to me, or that it should be working flawlessly. The call quality is not the best, but good enough. However the one flaw I found so far is I can’t seem to press the answer button via voice command. So have to physically touch the screen to accept an incoming call.

Cons- it’s expensive. £600. Once you get the sat nav, and then you want the additional high speed charger plug in so you can charge your phone too and a Garmin dash cam with a polorising filter, and the reverse camera your looking at nearly £900. But I like my gadgets and I wanted the best. The suction mount has failed on me three times already and I’ve bloody dropped the sat nav. (I have the sat nav high up on the window). Luckily there’s been no damage. You do have to make sure you get a good fit on the window. The magnetic mount will attach it self to anything metal in your bag so have to be careful there. Sometimes it doesn’t take you the optimal way, but the safest way. Even if that’s the long way round - but guess that’s it’s job.

To summarise it’s a nice bit of kit, but a bit too expensive.

TTBOMK all the Garmin devices have a Linux based custom OS, not Android.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

If you go down the Tomtom route, it looks like they have moved away from inbuilt sim models to tethering only options now, I’ve read a few times that the ones with sim inbuilt were on a 2g connection, which apparently will get switched off in the not too distant future. I expect those models can still tether by bluetooth for services, or if not a wifi hotspot on your phone will probably work.

I generally prefer to pay once and not have to subscribe down the line for all services, though speed camera alerts are less useful in a situation where most of us don’t speed at all.

They have had a spell of annoying bogus 7.5 ton limits in random spots on the maps recently, hopefully gradually getting sorted, I checked the web routing for a few I know of today and didn’t have a problem there so I am hopeful the next map update will have cleared them off.

Stacks74:

Truckulent:

cmnav.co.uk/

Cheers I’ll have a look just want something reliable thats gonna work after 12 months

If it helps, I have an old one based on the same unit and software I bought in 2011 from eBay. I sold a top of the range Snooper which was ■■■■■■ and the Chinese replacement has done me fine until last year when I bough tht CM replacement. Chris will do you updates too as and when you need them - for free.

The old one still works fine btw. I just can’t update the mapping any more. It cost me 60 quid - the Snooper was over £300…

Our company uses garmins which are good but I generally just use Google maps. Trucknav app on phone is supposed to be good but I use Google maps as the traffic is spot on and being paid salary it usually results in being first back in yard and feet up at home while the others get stuck in traffic haha

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
TTBOMK all the Garmin devices have a Linux based custom OS, not Android.

I’m not sure how much difference there would be between the two:
Android is just a particular version of Linux which has been made proprietary (via Google’s sponsoring of the Open Handset Alliance) so is no longer FOSS.

No doubt all other Sat Navs use a customised Linux OS, but I wouldn’t expect them still to be FOSS, even without them have a particular OS brand name.

Tom Tom is certainly Linux based, but perversely they don’t allow you to connect your TT to a Linux device :unamused: instead stipulating you need a Windoze (or Mac) device to install their My Drive software , no doubt due to their “deep partnership” with Microsoft.

I’m relieved my TT 2650 has the update-by-wifi option so I don’t have to sully myself by connecting to a Windoze device :laughing:

Zac_A:
Tom Tom is certainly Linux based, but perversely they don’t allow you to connect your TT to a Linux device :unamused: instead stipulating you need a Windoze (or Mac) device to install their My Drive software , no doubt due to their “deep partnership” with Microsoft.

Or more likely because Windows has a 75% desktop market share, Linux is below 3% and is so fragmented it’s a nightmare to support with multiple desktop environments (Gnome 2, 3, KDE, MATE, Cinnamon, Xfce etc), package managers (RPM, DEB, Flatpak etc), several different variations of where they store config files, different naming conventions for devices, for example some refer to a network connection as /dev/eth(x) and some refer to them as /dev/net(x). And inevitably when it comes to support companies have found out that Linux users put in considerably more support requests than Windows users, costing a company a disproportionate amount of money in support for the size of the userbase of an OS.

I can’t help you with the cheap crap as I’m not poor , but the £400 decent ones I can , Tom Tom crap , sent back , 2xsnooper are spot on other than dart Ford tunnel & a bus route in Wolverhampton ,

^^^^ you took the words right out of my mouth :wink:

Conor:
And inevitably when it comes to support companies have found out that Linux users put in considerably more support requests than Windows users, costing a company a disproportionate amount of money in support for the size of the userbase of an OS.

My main point was the incongruity of using Linux as the Sat Nav’s OS yet denying the option of connecting it to a Linux device.

I don’t know where you’re getting your ideas about things being hopelessly “fragmented”, my various Linux devices work perfectly as computing environments, and potentially more importantly, work seamlessly with the router, printer, network storage devices etc.

Plus IME most Linux users resolve any problems they encounter by the readily available community support rather than looking to proprietary solutions

What I like best is that Linux, unlike Windoze, is easily configured to suit a wide variety of personal needs, such as creating customised, inexpensive and secure ADR online-exam facilities with a suite of that great British invention, the Raspberry Pi, at a fraction of the cost of a bunch of Windoze devices and with infinitely more control over the set up.

i got a cheep Chinese imitation sat nav that someone on here recommended, this was around six years ago never let me down, however the screen is fading, anyone know where i can get another one from thanks

Stacks74:
I’m possibly going back tramping I’ve been on tippers for the past couple of years so I’ve never needed one , but driving Hgv1 is different weight Limits bridge heights rear Areas fuel bunkering all need to be taken into Account truck parking, so what’s a good brand I’ve noticed a few independent retailers but some reviews aren’t great I’m gonna be on Containers .

Pm’d you back mate. Not sure it’s sent though… )
Let me know…

Yes thanks I got your reply and I’ve been in touch with the Company that provides the Sat navs and will be making a purchase next week

Stacks74:
Yes thanks I got your reply and I’ve been in touch with the Company that provides the Sat navs and will be making a purchase next week

Nice one pal. [emoji106][emoji106]

I have just recently bought the Dezl 1000. Fantastic piece of kit. Was on offer for £500 last month so grabbed it then. Traffic updates when linked to phone and works just as it should.

Once I figure out how to load third party apps it will be perfect entertainment too whilst waiting to be tipped.

AdamST205:
I have just recently bought the Dezl 1000. Fantastic piece of kit. Was on offer for £500 last month so grabbed it then. Traffic updates when linked to phone and works just as it should.

Once I figure out how to load third party apps it will be perfect entertainment too whilst waiting to be tipped.

Agreed, Garmin is spot on.

But i can’t justify spending so much - I don’t use it enough.