Sat Nav's

Muddy K:
I’ve got a Garmin Dezl 1000. The fancy pants top of the range 10" model. Never used anything else so have nothing to compare it too.

Pros - it’s a decent bit of kit once you get used to it. The screen is massive, bright and the touch screen is user friendly. I can search for places on the Garmin app or Google maps, and send them to the sat nav. I can store favourites based on GPS coordinates. Has search options for truck parking and gives you live traffic if connected to your phone via hotspot/Bluetooth (will use your phone’s data). I like the magnetic pad which means just bring the tablet near the mount and it will connect up and line up itself. It asks me every time what the truck dimensions are at start up, and will remember my last used settings. Can also buy a separate reverse camera which connects wirelessly to the sat nav, and the screen will then become a reversing camera system
Because it is an android tablet underneath, am sure there will be a way to add third party apps like Netflix etc. (Haven’t tried it yet though so not a deffo). It has voice command which works ok. So I can say, ok Garmin navigate to Hilton Hotel Deansgate Manchester and it will get it right 80% of the time. If there’s a number of similar results it will list them in numbered order, and I will just say 1 or 2 or 3 to confirm which one it is. Exactly the same for making calls from your phonebook in your phone. Ok garmin, call transport office. It will list a number of options if you have a few saved in your phone and you just say 1 or 2 or 3 etc and it will make the call. The hands free phone calls I would rate 8/10. Am hard of hearing so this feature is pretty important to me, or that it should be working flawlessly. The call quality is not the best, but good enough. However the one flaw I found so far is I can’t seem to press the answer button via voice command. So have to physically touch the screen to accept an incoming call.

Cons- it’s expensive. £600. Once you get the sat nav, and then you want the additional high speed charger plug in so you can charge your phone too and a Garmin dash cam with a polorising filter, and the reverse camera your looking at nearly £900. But I like my gadgets and I wanted the best. The suction mount has failed on me three times already and I’ve bloody dropped the sat nav. (I have the sat nav high up on the window). Luckily there’s been no damage. You do have to make sure you get a good fit on the window. The magnetic mount will attach it self to anything metal in your bag so have to be careful there. Sometimes it doesn’t take you the optimal way, but the safest way. Even if that’s the long way round - but guess that’s it’s job.

To summarise it’s a nice bit of kit, but a bit too expensive.

Wait - you mount a 10" screen device high up in the window? Seriously? Plod is going to give you some serious grief if you get pulled.

WhiteTruckMan:

Muddy K:
I’ve got a Garmin Dezl 1000. The fancy pants top of the range 10" model. Never used anything else so have nothing to compare it too.

Pros - it’s a decent bit of kit once you get used to it. The screen is massive, bright and the touch screen is user friendly. I can search for places on the Garmin app or Google maps, and send them to the sat nav. I can store favourites based on GPS coordinates. Has search options for truck parking and gives you live traffic if connected to your phone via hotspot/Bluetooth (will use your phone’s data). I like the magnetic pad which means just bring the tablet near the mount and it will connect up and line up itself. It asks me every time what the truck dimensions are at start up, and will remember my last used settings. Can also buy a separate reverse camera which connects wirelessly to the sat nav, and the screen will then become a reversing camera system
Because it is an android tablet underneath, am sure there will be a way to add third party apps like Netflix etc. (Haven’t tried it yet though so not a deffo). It has voice command which works ok. So I can say, ok Garmin navigate to Hilton Hotel Deansgate Manchester and it will get it right 80% of the time. If there’s a number of similar results it will list them in numbered order, and I will just say 1 or 2 or 3 to confirm which one it is. Exactly the same for making calls from your phonebook in your phone. Ok garmin, call transport office. It will list a number of options if you have a few saved in your phone and you just say 1 or 2 or 3 etc and it will make the call. The hands free phone calls I would rate 8/10. Am hard of hearing so this feature is pretty important to me, or that it should be working flawlessly. The call quality is not the best, but good enough. However the one flaw I found so far is I can’t seem to press the answer button via voice command. So have to physically touch the screen to accept an incoming call.

Cons- it’s expensive. £600. Once you get the sat nav, and then you want the additional high speed charger plug in so you can charge your phone too and a Garmin dash cam with a polorising filter, and the reverse camera your looking at nearly £900. But I like my gadgets and I wanted the best. The suction mount has failed on me three times already and I’ve bloody dropped the sat nav. (I have the sat nav high up on the window). Luckily there’s been no damage. You do have to make sure you get a good fit on the window. The magnetic mount will attach it self to anything metal in your bag so have to be careful there. Sometimes it doesn’t take you the optimal way, but the safest way. Even if that’s the long way round - but guess that’s it’s job.

To summarise it’s a nice bit of kit, but a bit too expensive.

Wait - you mount a 10" screen device high up in the window? Seriously? Plod is going to give you some serious grief if you get pulled.

I find it the safest place to put it. If I put it near the dash, I can’t see the street level for them pesky cyclists in city centre.

PXL_20220418_092631286.jpg

Truckulent:

AdamST205:
I have just recently bought the Dezl 1000. Fantastic piece of kit. Was on offer for £500 last month so grabbed it then. Traffic updates when linked to phone and works just as it should.

Once I figure out how to load third party apps it will be perfect entertainment too whilst waiting to be tipped.

Agreed, Garmin is spot on.

But i can’t justify spending so much - I don’t use it enough.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You can get it on monthlies through Halfords if it helps. That’s what I’ve done. No way I can shell out £600 like that. I plan to clear it off over 2 wage slips. Oh, and you get 3% cashback via topcashback on Halfords online purchases so about £585

Truckulent:

AdamST205:
I have just recently bought the Dezl 1000. Fantastic piece of kit. Was on offer for £500 last month so grabbed it then. Traffic updates when linked to phone and works just as it should.

Once I figure out how to load third party apps it will be perfect entertainment too whilst waiting to be tipped.

Agreed, Garmin is spot on.

But i can’t justify spending so much - I don’t use it enough.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Depends how you think of it. Once I try to third party load Apps it is essentially a 10" multimedia tablet with a dedicated truck nav built in. Waiting to be tipped just sit back and watch tv.

I’ve used both TomTom and Garmin, they both do the job well, I had issues with my TomTom GO 520 as the live traffic had stopped working, I have now got the Garmin Dezl 700 7 inch screen quite impressed with it, before the TomTom I had a garmin car sat nav, the Garmin has alot more features than the TomTom, I like the live traffic and you can view Motorway cameras!! Got it on Amazon and you can pay over a few months!

Yet again tonight. RoadLords told me about a road closure in Crawley that my built in TomTom didn’t.

They both picked up and avoided the M1 southbound that evening (I saw the car on its roof ) as I went north.

been using the new tomtom go expert 7 for 4 months now, so far it has not let me down. I work on general haulage, covering the whole of the uk, even in the deepest darkest parts of the uk, it has been quite good for me, traffic warnings generally spot on. not once has it attempted to take me down unsuitable roads.like all satnav’s it only see’s what it has been asked to see. if you don’t tell it, your hight/weight/width and speed, its not going to help that much, and the chance of an unsuitable route is possible.
This is only my own opinion and experience, with this satnav. I know it’s quite a pricey one. but I suppose you get what you pay for.

My Road Lords recommendation has now got to be tempered. On Friday it sent me down a 6’6" except for access road
And then later on it lost all its mapping and hasn’t worked since. So you’d better not rely on it as your only resource
I’m going to try Sygic and also Cargo.

Do you guys do a different job to me or what? :open_mouth: :smiley:
You sound like ■■■■ starship astronauts with all the hi tech and jargon ■■■■■■■■, .where as I just drive a truck, use my old cheap car sat nav (aided with consulting a simple bridge map) and just get on with it with no fuss.
I’m all for moving with the times, but you lot make it sound as if you’re doing something difficult.
And 500 quid?? :open_mouth: AND on SPECIAL OFFER? :open_mouth: …ffs man. :laughing:

Forgive me,.it’s Sundsy, I’m waiting for the football, and I just feel like winding somebody up. :blush: :laughing:
(Still stand by it though :wink: :smiley: )
I can never resist a sat nav t :smiley: hread.

Can ask on subject sat navs. Ever since passed my test used a combination of car sat nav and ggogle maps never had any issues…

Anyway my point is went for a driving assment /interview at a large company…
After drive went for induction filled in a million pages of paperwork. Was then asked do I have a satnav as we don’t provide one. I replied yes.
He asked what it was said navman one. He found out it was a car one went mad…spouting what I presume is rubbish.
Can’t use a car sat nav in a truck it’s illegal. If vosa stop you your get a fine and.points.
Car one are only for use on cars.
I’m guessing he’s talking put his backside.
Way I see it if I want drive using a car sat nav Google maps or just using a road map /a-z it’s my choice as long as.i don’t get stuck hit a bridge can’t see the problem really

Go with TOM TOM, they are the best on the market and not over priced either.

Hahahahahaha

edd1974:
Can ask on subject sat navs. Ever since passed my test used a combination of car sat nav and ggogle maps never had any issues…

Anyway my point is went for a driving assment /interview at a large company…
After drive went for induction filled in a million pages of paperwork. Was then asked do I have a satnav as we don’t provide one. I replied yes.
He asked what it was said navman one. He found out it was a car one went mad…spouting what I presume is rubbish.
Can’t use a car sat nav in a truck it’s illegal. If vosa stop you your get a fine and.points.
Car one are only for use on cars.
I’m guessing he’s talking put his backside.
Way I see it if I want drive using a car sat nav Google maps or just using a road map /a-z it’s my choice as long as.i don’t get stuck hit a bridge can’t see the problem really

He’s obviously of the mind set that you need to be totally reliant on a sat nav.(as unfortunately a lot of ‘‘drivers’’ are :unamused: ,.and there lies the problem…
Tell him if he’s willing to dole out 500 notes for a one., which you ain’t, you’ll gladly use it.
As for his theory on the legality of it, he’s talking out of his arse as you say, and shoud not be in the job as he clearly knows the far end of f/all about it. :bulb:

Please do me a favour, screen shot my post and show him it… PLEASE. :imp: :laughing:

Trick r truck:

Tomtom are good until something goes wrong,customer support terrible I’ve had an issue with mine not recognising Dartford tunnel approach as a viable route for over 18 months now can’t speak to anyone about it all has to be done through email,given up trying to get it sorted now

Uncleskid:

Trick r truck:

Tomtom are good until something goes wrong,customer support terrible I’ve had an issue with mine not recognising Dartford tunnel approach as a viable route for over 18 months now can’t speak to anyone about it all has to be done through email,given up trying to get it sorted now

And I thought it was just me with a sat nav ( snooper ) that had a dislike for dartford tunnels !!

I did a live, head to head test of the most common SatNavs a while ago which I posted on here.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … &p=2808432

It’s a long post but I used all the SatNavs at the same time on my multidrop job.

The Garmin did come out kind of best overall, but none were perfect for various reasons.

But, if you regularly drive trucks larger than 7.5t and regularly do drops in to 7.5t except for access zones, then the Garmin might not be the best for you. It doesn’t handle it very well.

I did buy the Garmin Dezl700 after doing all my testing but now since changing jobs I use copilot a lot more due to the 7.5t zone issue on the Garmin.

But, in all reality, there is no best SatNav. They all have quirks, errors in their maps, and even some annoying habits and features. They will all get you where you want to go eventually, but not without using a lot of common sense as well.

robroy:
You sound like [zb] starship astronauts with all the hi tech and jargon ■■■■■■■■, .where as I just drive a truck, use my old cheap car sat nav (aided with consulting a simple bridge map) and just get on with it with no fuss.
I’m all for moving with the times, but you lot make it sound as if you’re doing something difficult.
And 500 quid?? :open_mouth: AND on SPECIAL OFFER? :open_mouth: …ffs man. :laughing:

Forgive me,.it’s Sundsy, I’m waiting for the football, and I just feel like winding somebody up. :blush: :laughing:

Lol. I do see your point. For me personally, I need a Sat Nav. Am a new driver, and every little aid I can get helps. I can connect a reverse camera onto mine, and it also warns me of upcoming sharp turns etc on my route ahead.

I justify it as a tool for my work which it is, it’s just a fancy pants one lol (I like my gadgets).

The money spent is irrelevant if it saves me just the once. At the end of the day £500 is a few days wages, or a few DVSA fines. Neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.

I use the truck satnav as way of avoiding road closures and restrictions for my vehicle, most of the time it works out fine, but, there are occasions when it doesnt, I also have the Phillips truck map, its ok but doesn’t have all the bridge or weight restrictions, I’ve found numerous roads with restrictions that are not on the map, I do use google maps when the sat nav can’t find my drop site, which is rare, google seems to update quicker than the sat nav and has gotten better over the years, but, there is still no hgv routing!!!

At the end of the day, its one of many tools to be used to help the driver and if it makes my life easier, I will use it!!

Muddy K:

robroy:
You sound like [zb] starship astronauts with all the hi tech and jargon ■■■■■■■■, .where as I just drive a truck, use my old cheap car sat nav (aided with consulting a simple bridge map) and just get on with it with no fuss.

Lol. I do see your point. For me personally, I need a Sat Nav. Am a new driver, and every little aid I can get helps. I can connect a reverse camera onto mine, and it also warns me of upcoming sharp turns etc on my route ahead.

I justify it as a tool for my work which it is, it’s just a fancy pants one lol (I like my gadgets).

The money spent is irrelevant if it saves me just the once. At the end of the day £500 is a few days wages, or a few DVSA fines. Neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.

Yeh good point,.I was on a wind up tbh to see who would bite. :smiley:
I get it if you are a new driver that if there is something there to make the job easier it makes sense to use it.
Only advice I would give you is do not be totally reliant on your sat nav, and if you don’t like using a map book, at least consult Google maps just to see exactly where the sat nav is going to suggest to you…(notice the word ‘suggest’ rather than ‘send’,.the sat nav is an advisory GUIDE, you as the driver make the decisions. :bulb: )
That way you actually LEARN routes rather than blindly follow instructions not knowing where the hell you are or where you are going.

the company i work for dhl, doesnt allow us to use sat navs however in my past jobs i did use tomtom 6250 and was pretty much spot on on the rare occasion it kept redirecting me to a closed road or a road not suitable but i have something else up my sleeve called a brain so touch wood clean.