Sat nav

Can anyone recommend a really strong reliable sat nav for trucks to witch I can put all dimensions in , I’ve currently got a xgody but don’t get on with it cheers for the help

I’ve been using a snooping for 3 years, I’ve found that using it with common sense you can’t go far wrong. The interface is simple enough for even me to use. They are pricey but reliable

Cheers for that bud I’m not really fussed on price just want something that won’t send wrong ways and trying to take under low bridges , what’s one likely to set me back roughly ?

Horley:
Cheers for that bud I’m not really fussed on price just want something that won’t send wrong ways and trying to take under low bridges , what’s one likely to set me back roughly ?

£300+ I think mate

As posted on here before A satnav does not take you any where.it is up to you as a pro driver to make a choice to go or not to go the satnav is simply an aid ,a bit like asking some one for directions .i always use the sun and stars .the sun rises in the east ,at around midday it is in the south,(im shaw some one on here know the lon/lat at midday) it then sets in the west. i hope this has helped happy trucking good buddy

Even an all singing all dancing prat nav is prone to errors.So as has been said…They don’t send you anywhere…They are an aid…So just because your spending £300 on one…Don’t follow it as always being correct.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

shreck:
As posted on here before A satnav does not take you any where.it is up to you as a pro driver to make a choice to go or not to go the satnav is simply an aid ,a bit like asking some one for directions .i always use the sun and stars .the sun rises in the east ,at around midday it is in the south,(im shaw some one on here know the lon/lat at midday) it then sets in the west. i hope this has helped happy trucking good buddy

Latitude and longitude only applies the the earths surface not 93 million miles out in space.

daftvader:
.They don’t send you anywhere…They are an aid…So just because your spending £300 on one…Don’t follow it as always being correct.

Don’t let that whats his face ‘Newboy’ individual be hearing you say that or he’ll be on like a shot calling you a knob and a ■■■■ :smiley: , he hates you dissing the Sat Nav, they ‘send’ him everywhere apparently. :laughing:

Not commenting on o/p as I’m starting to sound like desypete on this subject,… even to myself…the shame :blush: :laughing:

raymundo:

shreck:

Latitude and longitude only applies the the earths surface not 93 million miles out in space.

well i never thanks for the info.i did not know that,and are you saw its 93million

You can’t beat a road map, travelled all over Europe and didn’t get lost.

A sat nav is only as good as the data stored on the maps. If no one has manually programmed it to not send you down a single track lane even with your dimensions in there, then it will tell you to turn down it thinking it’s the best route when it’s not.

I’ve a got a Tom Tom. Low bridges = spot on, 7.5t limits 95% spot on and it’s probably newer than the map on the odd occasion it has told me to go into a weight limit. London has the weight limits at night which the sat nav doesn’t know, it thinks it’s a permanent weight limit which makes it a pain to use in London. Often it will try and cut a corner off between 2 A roads by sending me down a country lane. And when it tried to divert me round traffic I can’t trust it if I can’t pull up to check the map because the road it is taking me on might be unsuitable. But like I say, it’s only an electronic map and it’s only as good as the data that a human as programmed into it.

It’s a great tool as long as you use it with common sense, a proper road atlas to check routes on, and if still unsure get on google and zoom in on street view. Doing those 3 things I rarely if not never go wrong.

I was thinking earlier on how much I love sat navs! Driving up the M11 heading to Peterborough for the night and I hear that the A1 north is blocked, no problem, I just come off at Alconbury and go up the old A1. As I looked to my left at the miles of stationary traffic and then ahead at the empty road in front of me I reflected that years ago all lorry drivers knew diversion routes but nowadays if the machine doesn’t say it then it doesn’t happen.

the maoster:
I was thinking earlier on how much I love sat navs! Driving up the M11 heading to Peterborough for the night and I hear that the A1 north is blocked, no problem, I just come off at Alconbury and go up the old A1. As I looked to my left at the miles of stationary traffic and then ahead at the empty road in front of me I reflected that years ago all lorry drivers knew diversion routes but nowadays if the machine doesn’t say it then it doesn’t happen.

Maybe they didn’t hear the A1 was blocked…

The matrix signs northbound were pre warning of the closure and still people sailed past the Sawtry split.

image.jpegthe sat nav made me do this ,it was a longitude and latitude address .

If that is the delivery address then thats where you have to go.I once said to the boss,what about a rule we dont go off the roads .He said you will go where you are told to go.

shreck:

raymundo:

shreck:

well i never thanks for the info.i did not know that,and are you saw its 93million

Yes and the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second and it takes 8 minutes for the light to arrive here … christ! I sound like Carryfast :slight_smile: (except I did not Google that info) :open_mouth:

Google earth on your phone is free.

I pity people who buy a satnav.

the nodding donkey:
Google earth on your phone is free.

I pity people who buy a satnav.

But the data it uses aint, is it?

A Sat-Nav doesn’t get interrupted with calls either, or open up the potential of being accused of using your phone whilst driving…