Sat Nav signal

Any body else having issues with Sat Nav signal? I have been for about the last month. Even on Waze.

Check you’re not in an area frequently being used for GPS jamming exercises by the MOD…

stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/spectr … exercises/

Pretty much all from Southampton up to Leeds. Never had issues before. Brought car Sat Nav with me today, lost signal more times than Snooper between Grantham and Southampton. Well annoying!!!

Surely you don’t need a sat nav to go from grantham- Southampton ,it’s a straightforward run,or do you mean the last bit .

Oh, forgot to add all the places I lose signal I never have done before.

Are you driving a Merc? I ask because when I swapped from an MAN to a Merc I had the same issues. A poster here helpfully recommended an external aerial. That did the trick. Afaik it’s something to do with the windscreen being an “athermic reflecting” type, whatever the hell that means. :smiley:

Either the windscreen,or your company have fitted a tracking system that interferes with the sat navs GPS signal.

dozy:
Surely you don’t need a sat nav to go from grantham- Southampton ,it’s a straightforward run,or do you mean the last bit .

Straight down the A1, around the M25 till you get the M3 and then its a straight run down.

Just the last bit, guide me kind of thing. Down Heathrow tomorrow. Know how to get down there, just the last bits as not been down that way for while. And A1 was closed at Oakham so decided on A43, A34. Thought about externally an external ariel, but are they are they any good?

Follow the signs with the plane on, lol

he`ll probably end up at Gatwick :smiley: :smiley:

theantbox:
Just the last bit, guide me kind of thing. Down Heathrow tomorrow. Know how to get down there, just the last bits as not been down that way for while. And A1 was closed at Oakham so decided on A43, A34. Thought about externally an external ariel, but are they are they any good?

Been there already. Not Heathrow itself, but the area around. Suppose I do have maps. Just not easy to balance them on the steering wheel, work out where I’'m going and watch the road :open_mouth:

A new sattelite was launched a couple of weeks ago for GPS but they put it in the wrong orbit! Doesnt fill you with confidence.rte.ie/news/2014/0825/639306 … atellites/
How did you guys manage before satnavs forchristsake?

the maoster:
Are you driving a Merc? I ask because when I swapped from an MAN to a Merc I had the same issues. A poster here helpfully recommended an external aerial. That did the trick. Afaik it’s something to do with the windscreen being an “athermic reflecting” type, whatever the hell that means. :smiley:

Drive (well attempt) a MAN. But it was ok up until recently. I think Viking7000 may be thinking along the right lines…

Oh, and thanks for the directions Radar, in case previous post came across nasty

viking7000:
A new sattelite was launched a couple of weeks ago for GPS but they put it in the wrong orbit! Doesnt fill you with confidence.rte.ie/news/2014/0825/639306 … atellites/

He didn’t ask how to manage without a sat nav,he asked if peoples were working ok.
Everytime someone asks a sat nav related question it ALWAYS provokes the same response from the anti sat nav brigade.

viking7000:

Before the world became really impatient and trucks weren’t as reliable, journey times were a little more “uncertain”, so drivers would have the time to stop and ask for directions from locals. Or sit and natter to other drivers in cafés, etc. Nowadays, talking to someone you think might be local often ends up with them saying “Che?” or the equivalent in a different language.

No problems with my tomtom, have used it in volvos,scanias,daf and axor without any problem
try mounting yours in a different position on the windscreen as some screens have a small section without that heat reflecting coating on or when your parked, mount it on the mirror and see if you get a better signal.
I dont recomend keeping it there as you will get confused looking backwards to go fowards :smiley:

ckm1981:

viking7000:

He didn’t ask how to manage without a sat nav,he asked if peoples were working ok.
Everytime someone asks a sat nav related question it ALWAYS provokes the same response from the anti sat nav brigade.

I am not anti satnav, quite the opposite. Its like calculators in school. You should know how to do maths first. Same with navigation…then you wont get stuck in a field or drive over a cliff, hopefully. Even while driving with a map on the steering wheel.

It’s true. Before Sat Navs we used maps.

But equally, before trucks, we used horses and carts, pack horses and canal boats…

Maybe we should use those again too… :smiley: