Sat Nav signal

viking7000:
A new sattelite was launched a couple of weeks ago for GPS but they put it in the wrong orbit! Doesnt fill you with confidence.rte.ie/news/2014/0825/639306 … atellites/
How did you guys manage before satnavs forchristsake?

Nothing at all to do with GPS (an American system which works very well, thanks). That story relates to the European Galileo satellite navigation system which is not yet up and running.

Roymondo:

viking7000:
A new sattelite was launched a couple of weeks ago for GPS but they put it in the wrong orbit! Doesnt fill you with confidence.rte.ie/news/2014/0825/639306 … atellites/

Nothing at all to do with GPS (an American system which works very well, thanks). That story relates to the European Galileo satellite navigation system which is not yet up and running.

Not likely to be either at this rate. Maybe they could have used GPS help to get it in the right place?

NOVE:
Follow the signs with the plane on, lol

Tried that. Ended up at East Mids. Lol

Nah. It dropped out at Black cat, then got signal back on M25, and sp far, so good. Bloody thing!!!

I do have maps behind drives drivers seat, but as said before, I’d probably crash trying to multi task.

Mirror idea is good, but don’t like using them as all i see is the caos I’ve left behind me. :open_mouth:

May just be my vehicle. Will get an external ariel and give that a whirl.

Thanks for the replies though folk.

Losing GPS (even when plugged in) was one of the signs that my TomTom battery was on the way out. That it wouldn’t hold a charge was also a big clue.

Some dash cam’s do interfere with trackers/gps signal

I think it is typically the cheaper ones but it could be any?

Always best to have your mobile as back up.

paberriman:
Losing GPS (even when plugged in) was one of the signs that my TomTom battery was on the way out. That it wouldn’t hold a charge was also a big clue.

just have it plugged in all the time then

Hi i have found that reseting factory settings and do bot update sat nav ,u will find it works a lot better,also when doing above make sure u r outside in the open air

I’ve not moved the mount for ages. Like I say, only just started happening. Even phone loses signal. Wonder if my vehicle has grown a force field?
No Dash Cam, so can’t be that. Tracker system didn’t used to interfere, so ruled that out. Like I say, will try external ariel. Tried turning battery off on Fri and turning back on Mon, no joy. Luckily today got my jobs done before it went down. Will try an update next weekend.
Oh, and it’s always plugged in, unless I’m at home.

I’d still suspect the tracker. GPS radio signals are very weak, and it doesn’t take much to block or jam them. When trackers were fitted to our fleet of rigids, whoever fitted them left the power cables looped up into a loose coil, rather than cutting them to length. This resulted in satnavs etc not working properly in some of them. By trial and error, I found that all that was needed was to trace the tracker cabling and relocate the coiled up cabling away from the main loom. I assume that the GSM transmitter section of the tracker was injecting RF into the looped cables, which was then generating interference in the vehicle wiring, which was jamming the GPS signals. It may be that some other work has been done on your truck and the tracker cabling has been displaced. Have a poke about behind the dash.

Roymondo:

viking7000:
A new sattelite was launched a couple of weeks ago for GPS but they put it in the wrong orbit! Doesnt fill you with confidence…

Hi there
I’ve started another thread on the Galileo project, have a look at
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117550
Cheers
Paul

Roymondo:
I’d still suspect the tracker. GPS radio signals are very weak, and it doesn’t take much to block or jam them. When trackers were fitted to our fleet of rigids, whoever fitted them left the power cables looped up into a loose coil, rather than cutting them to length. This resulted in satnavs etc not working properly in some of them. By trial and error, I found that all that was needed was to trace the tracker cabling and relocate the coiled up cabling away from the main loom. I assume that the GSM transmitter section of the tracker was injecting RF into the looped cables, which was then generating interference in the vehicle wiring, which was jamming the GPS signals. It may be that some other work has been done on your truck and the tracker cabling has been displaced. Have a poke about behind the dash.

Its had a tracker in it since I took over the lorry. Not been out of it recently, and nobody has messed with it. Just seems really odd the Sat nav used work in it and now does intermitently. If that makes sense? So nothing in my lorry has changed.

viking7000:

And how did you guys manage before paper maps? At least you sound that ■■■■■■■ old. :wink:

I’ve been experiencing major problems with my TomTom - but only recently.

So i bought the Snooper S8000 and had the exact same problems… i.e. Intermittent total loss of signal in areas normally fine such as M6, A74(M), M27 - in fact pretty much anywhere.

I contacted Snooper who said it sounded like the issue could be a heat reflective windscreen on the DAF :open_mouth: …which ties in with when my problems started (when i got shafted with the DAF! :angry: )

Not had chance to retry the Satnav in another wagon yet to confirm… :cry:

Did a job for DHL and my truckers tom tom kept losing the GPS signal. It turned out that it was only that truck, others I drove for DHL were fine. That truck had a camera fitted by the permanent day driver and it was this camera or the way it was fitted that was blocking out the GPS. Really bad on a multi drop that an AGENCY driver like me has never done before or been shown. Had to work out each drop by the map and ended up finishing 14:30 the next day instead of 10:45 (average) :smiling_imp: :imp:

Got an update for anybody thats interested.
Lorry went for a service yesterday so was put in a different 1. Anyway, jump in mine this morniing. Wake up Sat Nav, got signal. Have had all day so far…
Also Had a package from Snooper, they’d sent me a tv ariel instead of GPS ariel like I ordered. Useless twunts!

My 5150 struggles to catch/keep hold of the Live Traffic status…but only since I paid £49 to renew it!

Actrosman:
My 5150 struggles to catch/keep hold of the Live Traffic status…but only since I paid £49 to renew it!

It might just need a reboot to sort that out. Keep the Power button pressed for about 15-20 seconds while it starts up, switches back off and reboots (You’ll hear the drum roll). Then release the power button.