Sat nav, maps or both?

who uses what,i know alot of people who just rely on their sat nav alone and others who would never use them, i personally use a combination of both.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40376 if anyone can help

its both for me,and cross reference with my bridge height map book,which i could not do without.

I generally rely on my sat nav (Autoroute) it has all the bridges etc, and is a comprehensive map for Europe, but it would be madness to travel without a map to check out routes in better detail and as a back up when sat nav looses signal for hours at a time, it does happen, and for no special reason :open_mouth:

bit of both, though i prefer an a-z though if im doing london then obv i need the sat nav. but if i have time i use googlemaps or something to find out exactly where im going, most companies are happy enough to tell me where im going so i can look it up etc.

though i do alot of local work so its local knowledge for me, nothing beats local knowledge.

local knowledge then maps then sat nav as a last resort.

buck73:
its both for me,and cross reference with my bridge height map book,which i could not do without.

What he said.

what he said? what? :confused: :confused:your point is…

These days neither, apart from hand drawn maps or just info from other drivers. Previously I used nothing but SatNav for about 4 years all over Europe. Never needed a paper based map to go with it because a SatNav is only a map after all and you don’t really need two tools to do the same job.

buck73:

Im the same. Somwhere new I will check the map for low bridges then try the satnav and if it routes me clear I will follow satnav. If I know the route 100% I dont bother looking at either.

None used to have a SatNav but it got nicked, got loads of paper maps but i,m too lazy to carry them about with me.

Typically doing trunking or one delivery someplace, i know how to get to most places, the places i don’t get office staff to print off a copy from multimap or failing that stop at a service station near by and look it up on one of the maps in the shop.

Kenny1975:
failing that stop at a service station near by and look it up on one of the maps in the shop.

True Scotsman:D

sat nav most of the time but if i dont believe it i use my maps. a couple of times it has taken me to the wrong place and the map has saved a phonecall and some embarrasment.

i always have satnav on, even if i know where im going. just for the arrival times and traffic, helps a great deal if they are chasing you.

scottishcruiser:

Kenny1975:
failing that stop at a service station near by and look it up on one of the maps in the shop.

True Scotsman:D

They love me espec since i don’t even buy anything :stuck_out_tongue:

buck73:

Just echoing what you said. For the times i actually need a map i’ll cross reference the sat nav with my bridge map to make sure the way is clear.

Just Satnav for me. Go all over Europe and its the best thing since sliced bread. Do occasionally use Google maps on my iPhone, which can overlay the map on Google Earth so I can see if the customer is actually down the little lane I’m about to go down. Technology is amazing.

Kenny1975:
stop at a service station near by and look it up on one of the maps in the shop.

I used to do that. Even on the continent.

DaiDap:

buck73:

Just echoing what you said. For the times i actually need a map i’ll cross reference the sat nav with my bridge map to make sure the way is clear.

:blush: :blush: 10/4 big buddy :blush: :blush:

I use both.
I always cross check towns with postleitzahl, département numbers, etc in the map index just to make sure I’m going to the right Niedergurgelhausen and not the one 500kms away :wink:

I use both, never really trust the sat nav, so will check the route on my low bridge atlas just in case :slight_smile:

Yep, I’m with Buck on this one (when I was in the transporter)…still use the satnav now although sometimes it can’t cope with the speed I’m going at! (They should make one with a “blues and twos” mode). :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t really need satnav for work. If I get lost travelling between 4 junctions on a straight motorway with no intersections, something tells me I should look for another job :open_mouth: If I need to travel further afield, I download my route off AA route planner and cross reference it with my trusty GB atlas :wink: