Sat nav garbage

As some of you who know me will know how much I hate those dam things, whenever I see a post on here asking about the best sat nav to buy I always reply what a waste of money they are and if you are really stuck get close to your destination and look at the map on your phone to guide you in. I have travelled across the UK, Ireland, Europe and the whole of the lower 48 USA, I have never needed any sat nav to get me anywhere, how do you think we delivered anything in all the decades of transport ? Anyway the time has come where I have no choice, my company has installed a navigation system in the elogs of all the trucks, which I think is extremely generous of them, seeing as how much you people pay for such devices, it seems I have received a very expensive tool, as the screen on my elog is 8 inches across I have a great piece of equipment that you geezers pay huge amounts for. I can’t avoid it because each load I get the navigation automatically starts giving me directions to the customer and as we can only get fuel at company assigned truck stops if I select the ’ Fuel’ sign, it also takes me to the nearest fuel stop permitted by the company.
AND I HAVE NOT PAID A PENNY FOR IT :wink:

Good for you

Cool story Bro.

Didn’t pay a penny for mine either (in fact I actually turned a small profit on the transaction owing to the cashback promotion TomTom were running at the time). Plus I can use it in other lorries or in my own cars (or indeed anyone else’s car that I happen to be driving). Best of all, as it’s mine I could sell it tomorrow for £100 or more if I chose to :wink:

Well done you [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Well done to you Pat…its always nice when a company pays for something we normally have to pay for ( like our DCPC ) and your system sounds like a high tech gadget, enjoy it mate.

There will come a day when all trucks are fitted with a sat nav, (as if things aint bad enough now with some of the clowns who totally rely on it without the use of their brain. :unamused: ) )
Until then I’ll just keep cracking on with my cheap jack, bog standard car one ( used as a guide only) alongside my map.

Just arrived in Century 21 btw :laughing: …,.I’ve just started looking for remote farm access on Google Earth/maps, birds eye view . :sunglasses:
Hope for me yet eh? :smiley:

Oh my hero…#swoon

(in my experience those ones that come as part of other systems are ■■■■■■■■■

switchlogic:
(in my experience those ones that come as part of other systems are [zb])

Exactly - had a Garmin in first ever truck / puddle jumper / “18T tiny little thing” and it was utter garbage. Even std car Tomtom outshone it.

Biggest problem is, they don’t get maps updated so you end up completely out of date.

Would agree in Robroy’s case they’d be useless but those are the tiniest British roads ever invented.

But then why on earth anyone would need one to go 1000s miles across American states on massive roads, doesn’t say a lot for the confidence the company has in its drivers. Just remember to follow it blindly.

Slow day Pat?

Perhaps it’s due to all that time you’ve saved not getting lost now you have a half decent navigation aid :bulb:

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X704F using Tapatalk

When I started on trucks about 12 years ago I was “advised” by an “experienced driver” not to get a sat-nav and instead get a bunch of maps, A-Z street atlases etc. :unamused: As the quote goes, “the worst vice is ad-vice”

As “noble” as the idea of not using a sat-nav might be, in the modern world of trucking it’s simply pointless - the TM giving you the work, (which you don’t get to see far in advance) doesn’t care how you get there, they just want it done asap, and if you’re constantly checking how to get from here to there, you’re going to be so far behind schedule you’re not going to get the work in the future.

When I started on trucks, I got myself a Snooper TruckNav.

Definitely well worth having and reduced to me having to carry much all of the time. Which I had previously done when I was on 7 1/2’s.

Navigation had its moments, but I never ended up hitting a bridge or through the wrong weight limits.

I have since upgraded it to a Garmin Dezl TruckNav. It is certainly easier to program and change roots, but it has some odd ways of navigating me.

They may be relatively intelligent, but they are still relatively dumb devices. If you don’t have a good mind of geography of the area, it also helps carrying a map with you for when the satnav insist the only way you can go is that way. Because sometimes it is wrong, Usually only in a safe way. But you still need to be aware.

I brought a sat nav ,got a daf chucked in for free

Pat Hasler:
I have a great piece of equipment that you geezers pay huge amounts for.

AND I HAVE NOT PAID A PENNY FOR IT :wink:

Nobody cares. Anyone who has a smartphone made in the last decade has satnav for free they’ve not had to pay for. Funny now you have one you all of a sudden think its a great piece of gear. Just think of all that time and fuel you’ve wasted over the years insisting on being stuck in the stone age.

Had a puzzler with my sat nav the other night :open_mouth: .
I was heading from Ughborough to Lee Mill, to get back on the expressway would mean me heading back towards Exeter to next junction and doing a U turn to Plymouth, so I headed for Ivybridge on the B road instead, which runs paralell.
In Ivybridge at the expressway junction, I couldn’t decide then whether to turn right for Plymouth or left for Exeter, (Lee Mill only a couple of miles away btw) .
So put it in sat nav it came out as ‘‘No route possible’’…too lazy to look for my map :blush: so I re.set it for Lee Mill ind est and it told me to turn towards Exeter …the complete ■■■■ opposite direction, which took me back to the junction I started from to do a U turn ffs!. :unamused:
Went over on my 13 because of the ■■■■ thing. :imp:

It’s a Tom Tom as well, not some foreign crap, and it usually does ok…weird. :open_mouth:

I know plenty more boring tales like that if anybody’s interested. :laughing:

Moderator:
Image removed, profanity not permitted in image text either

Used the company fitted jobbie last week as a satnav for the first time in years.

Was going into a place i haven’t been for a long time and had forgotten which turn off, as i approached a roundabout one of the minor roads off it looked familiar, but pratnav said carry on and take next left, foolishly i trusted the machine instead of meself, bloody dead end :unamused: , won’t make that mistake again.

I use Google maps and road map to work out what route I need . Scribble down few directions if needed. Then I only turn google.maps on when I’m almost where I need.
I used to leave it running but found I was for ever looking at miles/ time to go thinking God 150 miles never get there it’s not going down.
So now itg stays off until last few miles

I only ever had a car sat nav, it cost £80 and I never hit any bridges, drove through any fields or rivers and generally got the right delivery or collection in one attempt.

Maybe the bridges were higher then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef:
Slow day Pat?

Perhaps it’s due to all that time you’ve saved not getting lost now you have a half decent navigation aid :bulb:

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X704F using Tapatalk

“Slow day”?
I haven’t done a full week since last June, my wife has been seriously sick for the entire time and eventually contracted SEPSIS and was almost dead, about 5 weeks ago she had been discharged from hospital and 36 hours later she was back in an ambulance heading back to Rutland VT, I was in the ICU holding her hand as a team faught to save her life, she remained in the Intesive care unit for 2 weeks then sent to a rehab centre and for all those months my company supported us in every way by intervening to get treatments agreed to and sticking up for me when the insurance company denied such things, my truck has been parked on my drive except when I did the odd day. My job entails me being away for at least 2 days at a time but they have created runs that get me home in the afternoon. I can’t fault them.