Sam longson photos

Coast to Coast, here is the front view of the old 8 legger, and a few more I’ve collected. I’ve been on the lookout for all photos of the tippers around the Peak District, and seem to have found more of Sammy’s than any other, but haven’t as yet come accross any of the Albions and Leyland’s they had or the old Bedford QL Lime Spreaders in the early 60’s, did they also have some TK’s for local work in the early 60’s aswell ?

This was taken in 1966 in Didsbury of one of Sammy’s L.A.D. Dodge 6 leggers heading back, they bought a few of the 500 series after this, but I’ve not found any photos of them either yet.

Never got to know them Chris,they used to fly past me,when I was a young kid with a Bedfrord TK with ten ton of slag :frowning: on the back running at 14 ton gross out of Margam,and an eight wheeler tipper will corner as well as any lorry on the road,even in those days,see TIPITS 9079R pic. I used to get by them when I had a Commer Maxiload with a two stroke a year later, also with a Bedford KM :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

All the ERF photos were taken at the yard at Chaple en le Frith in February 1991

flatman001 thanks for putting on the old lime spreader, it’s amazing just what pics crop up.
Here is a couple more I’ve just found from the collection.

That’s a great photo of the 8-legger passing the other tipit.I’ve seen it before but I always like seeing it again,also the 8-legger cornering is a good one. :sunglasses:

Brilliant pics, flatman001 and TIPIT. Great to see some more of that famous old fleet.

Yes it looks as if the competition to be in front was strong between Sammy’s own drivers as well, there must have been some sparks flying when they came up against Allinson’s and Hanson’s coal wagons. :laughing:

thanks guys
brilliant pictures
talking to old uncle, he said that he wasnt on the south wales runs as he was on tanks. a lot of tippers ran the south wales runs, but he still has many stories to tell about the crazy gang who brought terror to the old road to wales. It was common practise that all new drivers were instructed by the old hands never to give way under any circumstances to the steel boys coming the opposite way (not sure whether he was joking or not :confused: )
another quick story which was kicking about was about 4 soldiers all thumbing a lift back to catrick barracks, they were picked up by 4 of longsons night men heading north for ICI billingham and british titan. each soldier got into a wagon, heading the longsons was Barnsey known for his not so steady driving manner. All 4 lads went on a ride which they wouldnt forget for quite a while. When they stopped to let the soldiers out, one of them had a pen and paper and wrote down the company name, he said “When we get back to the barracks they would post the company name on the notice board stating never to accept a lift off any of these trucks ever!” as he had never been as frightened in his life. :laughing:

Hearing they once had a Maggie Deutz has got me wondering what other makes they’ve had, the only others I can remember were Dodge’s, Albion’s, Leyland’s and (maybe 4 wheeler Bedford TK’s or KM’s.) Did they also have some Ergo’ cab AEC’s at one point ?
It’s a wonder no photos have cropped up of the Albion’s as they seemed to have had alot of LAD cabbed Reiver’s, mainly tankers from what I recall as a kid. I can’t remember seeing any ERF’s untill the B - series cabs came out though, but did they have any earlier ERF’s ?

i remember they had one ERF A-series its reg ended 662N it had a 220■■■■■■■ in it, my father was only a small chap
and he allways moaned about the seat being very bouncey and wonder how the larger gentlemen got on with
with it,and if they had sore heads from hitting the cab roof!!!

coast to coast:
i remember they had one ERF A-series its reg ended 662N it had a 220■■■■■■■ in it, my father was only a small chap
and he allways moaned about the seat being very bouncey and wonder how the larger gentlemen got on with
with it,and if they had sore heads from hitting the cab roof!!!

You mean this one mate ? :wink:

And here’s the Maggy Tipit was on about.

Couple of pics of the Breaker that C2C mentioned. Unsure if it’s the same waggin though. :confused:

cheers bonkey dollocks, really chuffed, these will have old uncle reminiscing for weeks. :smiley: :smiley:

We can always rely on “Bonkey” to come up with the rare ones, cheers mate.
Don’t surpose you’ve any of the Albions have you ?

i havn`t got any pics of the old old albions, but i will ask around the old drivers to see if
we can find any!

TIPIT:
We can always rely on “Bonkey” to come up with the rare ones, cheers mate.
Don’t surpose you’ve any of the Albions have you ?

I know of a lad that lives local that has quite a few old uns, but he’s always busy either at work or restoring his mates AEC whenevr I ring him up.

I’ll try harder to get hold of him as he has a few nice ones of the yard at Chapel when it was full of Albions and you can even make out that they’d been carrying tarmac ! :open_mouth:
(Always thought Sammy vehicles were just on lime)

Also the lad has pics of the infamous accident in Buxton where a S21 crashed into a local shop after being in a race with another Sammy S21.

Hi DB
That 8 legger with the trade plates on (845NU) I think a chap from Congleton got hold of her (He owned a chip shop there) and now lives in Spain. Could,nt live with out the old girl, So taken her with him, she drove all the way no need to use the heater !!! know what i mean. She,s still the same colour too.
see you later.
John

TIPIT:
Hearing they once had a Maggie Deutz has got me wondering what other makes they’ve had

They ironically had one MAN in the then mostly all ERF fleet, driven by Barry Hancock. The Foden 9079R seen leaving ICI somewhwere or other was driven by Bert Drinkwater, amusingly known to the other Sammies men as “Swig”

just found out how to post pictures (but still leaning) heres a couple of me old girl at longsons/ak longsons, my tank was a dedicated LIMBUX lime tank used mainly for the water works in devon & cornwall :smiley: :smiley: look at those sparkling wheels. first load back out of tunstead quarry and they looked as if i had never bothered :angry:
and this was the day when i lost the old erf
:frowning: but was given a 480 daf automatic) :smiley: :smiley:

Couple more rare 'uns. The S39 is the second to last Foden that Hansons operated (the very last one was an N reg S 80 tipper that was short lived due to a bad accident) and you can see the one off ERF to the right of the pic.
Also included an S21 too.