Sam longson photos

Don t know if youve seen the Advertiser this week Dow, theres an obituary on Mick who passed away this week.

coast to coast:
you are on roll now :smiley: :smiley:
heres my old ECX were it spent most of its time
IN THE GARAGE at ashbourne…

evening coast to coast,just wondered if you recall a lad from northwich called paul savage,he worked for longsons out of northwich brunner mond,he always took his unit home to moulton,northwich ,this was about 8 to 10 years ago,cheers pal all the best. :slight_smile:

Sepo:
Don t know if youve seen the Advertiser this week Dow, theres an obituary on Mick who passed away this week.

Yeah thanks, saw it in the advertiser. It was Mick who trained me up on tankers just as he was retiring as it was his job I was taking over. God that man was a star, taught me more fiddles in a couple of weeks than anybody else had in years.

Hiya…help…do any of you ex sammy’s lads know of a chap called rob cooper who i think worked in the garage…
A pal of mine sold a s21 8 legger to this rob and we think he said he worked for sammy at one time,
we just wanted to know how the restoration was going on but have lost his phone number nothing serious,
this is the foden as we got it the 150 was swapped for a 2 stroke and smartened her up a bit and put the bumper back on

John

transportphotos.com/road/photos
One of Sammys ERF ECX parking at Toddington services

RC00034-12.jpg

As taken by Roger Kenney.

coast to coast:
i remember they had one ERF A-series its reg ended 662N it had a 220■■■■■■■ in it, my father was only a small chap
and he allways moaned about the seat being very bouncey and wonder how the larger gentlemen got on with
with it,and if they had sore heads from hitting the cab roof!!!

Did they call him White Rabbit? that ERF used to do about 70 mph plus if my memory is correct, I once had a Sunday run through the Brecon beacons sat in the passenger seat as a young lad.

GAZ70:

coast to coast:

evening coast to coast,just wondered if you recall a lad from northwich called paul savage,he worked for longsons out of northwich brunner mond,he always took his unit home to moulton,northwich ,this was about 8 to 10 years ago,cheers pal all the best. :slight_smile:

I remember Longsons used to do a fair bit of soda work out of Brunner Mond, they also ran the calcium tank. I do remember a guy who used to have his dog (large one) with him, used to do Leeds or stocking runs before Longsons lost the contract. The dog used to eat the seats so he was fitting a new one at Wallerscote whilst queuing.

that s21 with the coil well was ron tricket’s motor . he had a bad accident at english steel when he caught a steel beam with the front wheel while backing in . the steering wheel spun back and the spokes shattered his elbow . he was off work for months , and when he came back they gave him a new ergo cabbed reiver with power steering . long time ago now ,

Mackem:

GAZ70:

coast to coast:

I remember Longsons used to do a fair bit of soda work out of Brunner Mond, they also ran the calcium tank. I do remember a guy who used to have his dog (large one) with him, used to do Leeds or stocking runs before Longsons lost the contract. The dog used to eat the seats so he was fitting a new one at Wallerscote whilst queuing.

yep that’s the kid,always had his dog with him if he could get away with it,he drives for roberts bakery now in northwich,cheers gaz.

Thank you very much for all the photos.They brought back a lot of happy memories.
My old fella used to drive for Longsons in the 60s before moving to Blackpool in 1968.
He used to drive all the different wagons but his own vehicle was a Dodge 6 wheeler.I can’t remember the reg but the number 346 seems to ring a bell.
I used to work in the office on weekends/holidays while I was at school.There were 3 guys who used to do all the scheduling for the fleet.Brian,Charlie and Jerry.I used to have a great time with them and the “crack” with all the drivers.

blackpoolboroboy, was it one of the Dodge 500 series that your dad drove ?
Can you remember how many of that type they had, and were they all 6 wheelers ?
I remember passing a small garage on the Hayfield Road in the mid 60’s and seeing their 1st Dodge 500 being painted in there, I can’t see any trace of this garage on Google now but it was close to the one way system section so must have came alongside their main yard, would this have been Longson’s own paintshop at the time ?
Are there any photo’s of these Dodge’s about I’ve only seen photo’s of the LAD models they had.

Three here we havent had on this thread .

ERF D904BRY.jpg
ERF E120JAY.jpg
ERF E768DNR.jpg

Stanfield:
Three here we havent had on this thread .

Cracking pics as usual John.
Cheers Dave.

This was the first Foden I ever drove after getting my HGV2 at Leeds following an intensive 2 week course at Hansons driving school at New Millar Dam. I had 3 days Foden tuition before being let loose on my own. Lawrence Kerney was my tutor and the first trip was to York sugar factory can’t believe that was 43 years ago.

Some of the lads from our place (Tilcon) went to Hansons James, other’s (including myself) went to Slaters Transport at Kirkby Misperton instead.

Pete.

hi,please bare with me as this is only my 2nd time posting, well my 1st time is flouting around space somewere.i am looking for photos of the sammys trucks that used to roam the highways and byways over the years, eventhough i worked for them three times, the last being for mr kent of ashbourne i have only got a few photos i can find. 2 uncles worked for hansons/longsons as did my father for 23years (17 on reg nights) i only go back to the atkis most had 180gardners but some had220■■■■■■■ in them. if you got 931M at night you knew you was in for a rollercoaster ride to westbury as it would catch pidgens.later came the sed-atkis with the 250■■■■■■■ and ERFS with the rollers in them, my uncle used to have the only magi dutz in the cream/brown livery at nights/weekends as when other drivers took it for a thrashing it usually came back hooked up to the pig (wrecker) enough of my waffling on its taken about 4 hours to dothis much. many thanks…

Here you are c to c,a good old Chapel Sammy from 1946 :smiley:

Sam Longsons used to run down to South Wales in the late sixties and early seventies,they had a lot of Micky Mouse Foden eight wheelers with two stroke engines,they hauled sand down and coal or whatever back. They were mad,don’t know if your Dad or Uncles were on that run coast to coast,but they certainly did moter. Were they on bonus ?.
Cheers Dave.

There are more on here that qualify better than me about Sam Longson info Dave,but they ran a lot of Derbyshire limestone into Llanwern/SCOW and loaded anthracite back from Ammonford I think.I was talking to one of their drivers when stopped at the NCB crossing at Hirwaun on the A465 :angry: .I was struggling for hours and stayed in the same digs as him in Merthyr.There was a loaded 8-legger under one of the bedroom windows so that the “after 1100 pm” drivers could climb onto and into the room,otherwise being locked out.This driver I was with subbed the loaded one for an empty(sheeted) while the other Sams drivers were in the pub.Being late arrivals we had the evening snap and a few pints with the other well oiled Sammies :laughing: in the local pub and retired for an early start leaving 'em to it - well it was a saturday next day.
I laughed under the sheets as the drivers,one by one,climbed up the tipper ladder and straight into an empty limestone/sand/coal body.
All good fun,but I was long gone before they all got it sorted,not wanting to incur the wrath of Chapel-en-le-Frith. :laughing:
Aye,they were a mad lot Dave but a good hearted set of lads.There were a lot worse on the same job,daying and nighting,but Longsons drivers never (knowingly)went over the top,at least I don’t think so. :laughing: