Salaried work

robroy:

Benjie83:

the maoster:
Ain’t gonna happen anyway.

Hater [emoji28]

But your probs not far off, money dependant of course [emoji28]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Where’s me popcorn, I’m sat in a hotel bar on me jack, wife gone to bed so let it kick off. :smiley:
Be gentle with Maoster though, dozy recks he’s suicidal. [emoji38]

Hotel bar?

Hoping wagon Keys int a bowl somewhere [emoji38]

As for the moaster, he’s definitely my biggest fan [emoji1][emoji1]

rob22888:
Don’t accept salary unless it’s job & knock. Period.

Don’t accept anything until you’ve got a definition of ‘job’. :bulb: :wink:

robroy:
Always been wary of salaried work in this game, why would they let you away with a 10 hour day, when they can get a 15 and a max out week off you for the same price.
I often have this discussion with a mate, as to why he maxs out when he could get the same pay for short days, …13 hour abso maxs/ no 15s is a no brainer to me.

Hoping now I’ve not crossed me own wire here [emoji1]

Benjie83:

the maoster:

Hater [emoji28]

Not a hater by any means Benjie. You come across as a very personable chap/chapess who is totally enamoured with the idea of driving lorries for a living, but, and it’s a capital BUT it seems that reality and theory are two wildly different kettles of fish when confronted with an actual job offer.

At the end of the day it’s none of my business and I do genuinely wish you luck in whatever you settle on, but I fear that it won’t be lorry driving.

Benjie83:

robroy:

Benjie83:

the maoster:

Hater [emoji28]

Where’s me popcorn, I’m sat in a hotel bar on me jack, wife gone to bed so let it kick off. :smiley:
Be gentle with Maoster though, dozy recks he’s suicidal. [emoji38]

Hotel bar?

Hoping wagon Keys int a bowl somewhere [emoji38]

As for the moaster, I did pm him asking if he was my “secret hater” a few weeks back, he denied all knowledge but I’m still suspicious [emoji1][emoji1]

Week off mate, couldn’t give a toss where truck keys are.
You might want to remove that pm reference to avoid a yellow card btw…just sayin.

the maoster:

Benjie83:

the maoster:

Hater [emoji28]

Not a hater by any means Benjie. You come across as a very personable chap/chapess who is totally enamoured with the idea of driving lorries for a living, but, and it’s a capital BUT it seems that reality and theory are two wildly different kettles of fish when confronted with an actual job offer.

At the end of the day it’s none of my business and I do genuinely wish you luck in whatever you settle on, but I fear that it won’t be lorry driving.

[emoji1634][emoji1634]

I’ll accept ‘chapette’ [emoji8]

Oooooooh I’ll drive again…

It’s merely just a case of who fancies having one of the uk’s best trained drivers(courtesy of the great ESL as we all know [emoji1787]) and what they are prepared to offer for said skillset.

Seriously though, if I could drive for free, for the love I have of it then I’d be out tomorrow, living the boy hood dream as you say lol…
but them there bills gotta be paid so untill fair pence can be found, I’m happy to kick a few more rocks over, besides the economic meltdowns due any day now, plus covid Mk2, robots, and the implosion of humanity by 2021 so really there’s no point me rushing [emoji16]

robroy:
Always been wary of salaried work in this game

It’s a very fine line between ‘salary’ v compulsory unpaid waiting/overtime.

Just like hourly pay means nothing when it’s all about how much work they expect to be done in an hour.

Wiretwister:

Benjie83:
Never been salaried, hence I’m asking probably the obvious [emoji16]

Jobs Advertised as £580pw “Salary”, for tramping.

Now by my calculations it’s going to be 470ish per week in the hand as I’m assuming being “salaried” it’ll need NI/G&T/taking off, and Personal allowance juggle too…
Then your plus NIGHT out allowance/truck bonus/damage retention (those amounts unspecified) may get you back nearer 580.

So the question is, is my assumption right and I wouldn’t see 580 as it needs the deductions?
Or too see that amount I’d be doing 6&5 every other @100hrs pw, then whatever allowances are paid will make me a millionaire again? [emoji38]

■■■■■■ as I’ve mates proving they taking 520 for 50hrs, day work, mon-fri" so I’m feeling like maybe this offer is an attempted mugging of my gentle nature [emoji28]

Appreciate the input [emoji41]

Why are they quoting “per week”?
I’ve had a few salaried jobs, I’ve got one now and, without exception, salaried jobs pay monthly. I got extra for extra days and the advantage, as I see it, is you can budget easier as you get the same in your bank every month. You don’t get the fluctuations when you max out or are slack, you get the same on holiday.

A lot will depend on the integrity of the company with regard to hours and then you are getting closer to a “day rate” where you might get £150 a day but work a lot of hours. I’ve also had a day rate job & the early finish days were far fewer than late finish days wouldn’t take another.

Salary suits some, me included, but not every one. You need to decide what you find acceptable and leave those that are not to someone else.

I’m with you here.
No need to hang the job out, or chase overtime to get cash. I know my bills are covered even if I don’t turn a wheel.
I did know a lot about my present employer and knew how much (or how little) hours their drivers worked before joining.
In our work we often have one run per week so if we do a few long days we get an earlier finish Friday. Our choice.
Factory closes early or load not ready? Afternoon off.
Occasionally I’ll need to do a turn in Saturday morning, but mostly I’ll be home before 9, so not the end of the world.
So long as the swings and roundabouts are balanced it can work.

Benjie83:

robroy:
Always been wary of salaried work in this game, why would they let you away with a 10 hour day, when they can get a 15 and a max out week off you for the same price.
I often have this discussion with a mate, as to why he maxs out when he could get the same pay for short days, …13 hour abso maxs/ no 15s is a no brainer to me.

That appears to say there is a “damage bonus” paid.
They should mean that the £580 is safe.
You will receive a bonus if no damage is done. Sounds good, but look closely at the contract.

Franglais:

Benjie83:

robroy:

That appears to say there is a “damage bonus” paid.
They should mean that the £580 is safe.
You will receive a bonus if no damage is done. Sounds good, but look closely at the contract.

Bless ya Frangs will do, although I reckon I’ll need to take Martin Lewis with me [emoji1]

Now this just popped up, which is why as I said above to moaster its gotta be right, and why I’ve posed the question on here…

I’m assuming this wage will include all NO monies as that’s
Hell of a wage difference for the same work, makes no sense to me how?

rob22888:

edd1974:
about 5 years ago i was working for a small manufacturing place delving there own goods to building sites.
that was salaried. cant remember the exact pay but wasn’t bad and night out money if had any was paid cash in hand on a friday.
job was great own truck no on else used it even when was holiday. knew on a friday what my jobs were for all the next week,left along to get on with it.
was job and finish once done deliveries back to yard load up next load once done go home.
most days was done about 3ish . was good.
then after about a year got called into office had complaints you going early . basically the workshop was open 8 to 5 mon to fri
i used start at 4 or 5 every day . job and finish . and they wanted me to stay until the workshop shut.
so for a few weeks i agreed, but used get back 3ish then until 5 basically be trying look busy sweeping up washing truck etc went in said i want more money was offered £5 a week so i handed my notice in.

where i am now paid hourly and earning 100 week or more than last job for same hours . and if stuck in traffic still paid hourly or time half after 8 hours a day.

3pm is not an early finish if you started at 4/5. Shame on the gaffer for being spineless and not setting his workshop bods straight.

Was floor supervisor that wasn’t happy. And made me stay

But salaried.jobs are ok if work to set set hours or don’t go very far…
As once you start travelling and get stuck in traffic jams on.the m6 tc it eats into ypur wage

And your not being paid for sorting there basically

robroy:

perfect example is this ad on arsebook, if you did 15 hours a day at this job you would be making the grand total of £8 an hour so less than minimum wage :open_mouth:

Image1.jpg

scottie0011:

robroy:

perfect example is this ad on arsebook, if you did 15 hours a day at this job you would be making the grand total of £8 an hour so less than minimum wage :open_mouth:

Yes, but you need to put things in context. That is Spalding, not exactly known as a logistics hotspot…

Case in point, over a distance of some 70 miles, in South Wales, the wages go gradually from an average of over £13ph (and weekend and overtime supplements) down to £9ph (straight through), from Chepstow/Magor, to Swansea/Llanelli. All the logistics are centred in Chepstow/Magor, and Newport. Chepstow/Magor have to compete with Avonmouth, and since the bridge tolls were abolished, it’s a reasonable commute. Once you go past Bridgend, logistics are few and far between, and apart from Nolans and Owen’s, it’s small hauliers, scrabbling for crumbs, expecting the driver to work for £9ph straight through (and that’s just Owen’s… ).

scottie0011:

robroy:

Yes, but you need to put things in context. That is Spalding, not exactly known as a logistics hotspot…

Case in point, over a distance of some 70 miles, in South Wales, the wages go gradually from an average of over £13ph (and weekend and overtime supplements) down to £9ph (straight through), from Chepstow/Magor, to Swansea/Llanelli. All the logistics are centred in Chepstow/Magor, and Newport. Chepstow/Magor have to compete with Avonmouth, and since the bridge tolls were abolished, it’s a reasonable commute. Once you go past Bridgend, logistics are few and far between, and apart from Nolans and Owen’s, it’s small hauliers, scrabbling for crumbs, expecting the driver to work for £9ph straight through (and that’s just Owen’s… ).

scottie0011:

robroy:

And if you did one hour, you’d be on £120 an hour…
15 hrs day, knock off two 45 min meal breaks and two 15 min coffee breaks, then you’re actually working 13hrs. That’s £9.23 per hour. And that is as bad as it should get.
13 hr spreads less 1hr breaks equals £10 per hr.
You won’t get rich, but likely you’ll find lots worse out there.

Franglais:

scottie0011:

robroy:

And if you did one hour, you’d be on £120 an hour…
15 hrs day, knock off two 45 min meal breaks and two 15 min coffee breaks, then you’re actually working 13hrs. That’s £9.23 per hour. And that is as bad as it should get.
13 hr spreads less 1hr breaks equals £10 per hr.
You won’t get rich, but likely you’ll find lots worse out there.

I’m on £10 an hour but I will always get paid for 48hours
Any thing over that is £15 weekdays and sat
On Sunday and bank holidays I get double bubble

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don’t write off salaried jobs or day rates until you speak to the company.

We advertise based on salary, calculated at 10 hours guaranteed pay a day (breaks are paid). Most work 8 hours (including break) or a little less. If a driver works over 8 or does a bit extra for us we always bung in a few extra hours pay. So if they work 10 hours they normally end up with 12 hours pay or a bit more If they have dug us out of a hole.

We may be the rare ones in this case, but it’s always worth going for a chat first before you decide to give it a skip.

trucktruck86:
Don’t write off salaried jobs or day rates until you speak to the company.

We advertise based on salary, calculated at 10 hours guaranteed pay a day (breaks are paid). Most work 8 hours (including break) or a little less. If a driver works over 8 or does a bit extra for us we always bung in a few extra hours pay. So if they work 10 hours they normally end up with 12 hours pay or a bit more If they have dug us out of a hole.

We may be the rare ones in this case, but it’s always worth going for a chat first before you decide to give it a skip.

You sound a fair bloke to work for mate, but unfortunately today you are in the minority.

just a thought your on a salary obvious you take short weeks with long ones and it evens itself out.
but say your for ever having long weeks. and if you sat and worked it out you was earning less than minmum wage would you have a case?
or is the a way around paying even lower wages

There are good jobs out there , I did Grantham - Haywood dist ( tri change ) - Grantham , Grantham - downtowns glous ( tri change ) - Grantham , Grantham - Basildon ( tri change ) - Grantham , fri could just be Grantham - willenhall ( tri change ) - grAntham , or if you wanted fri off you could do heywood / Basildon / willenhall early sat morn , paid 10 hrs , 50 pw
One night when I was on glous boss asked if I could do heywood as well , he couldn’t get agency since said can you go down to glous , back to Grantham , then up to heywood , stop out , then comf back down to Grantham next day , then glous & back to Grantham , then Brian who will come down from Scotland & should be off we’d night will do heywood wed , obviously first question was what am I being paid as your saving a drivers wage , I’ll give you his 10 hrs , so we were on 20 hrs per night , then fri I had to come down from Haywood to Grantham , pick up for glous , but boss said I’ve only got 10 tyres for wiilenhall , could you do it as it will save me a lorry & fuel , I’ll give you £50 bonus , so did heywood to Grantham - willenhall - glous- Grantham , 20 hrs + £50 bonus
Best number I’ve ever had , still not long night but the company we subbed for got a new manager who said if I’m paying the wages of 2 drivers I want 2 , so that was it , I chucked my dummy out pram as it was such a good number , ended up on a disaplinary & left before meeting
I went back a year or so ago on agency , Grantham - swanley ( tri change ) - Grantham , Grantham - Haywood - Grantham , days I did Grantham to buffaload p/ bro & mick George on other side of a14 ( opposite ) - Grantham
One of there lads said if the boss can he will condense load onto x amount of lorries and stand driver down on a rota on full pay
The problem was not the 20 hrs + bonus wage , it was as op says , you were only
Doing 6 hrs , start 5.30 & done by midnight ,but wage was not high , just hourly rate
I got stopped at Bingham by visa and after querying my breaks , I had a 15 dropping tri , 30 picking it up ,I just said I don’t need a proper break I’m only doing 6 hr shifts , he just said I hope you being paid more than the 6 hrs on your card , only time he didn’t do us