Salaried work

Never been salaried, hence I’m asking probably the obvious [emoji16]

Jobs Advertised as £580pw “Salary”, for tramping.

Now by my calculations it’s going to be 470ish per week in the hand as I’m assuming being “salaried” it’ll need NI/G&T/taking off, and Personal allowance juggle too…
Then your plus NIGHT out allowance/truck bonus/damage retention (those amounts unspecified) may get you back nearer 580.

So the question is, is my assumption right and I wouldn’t see 580 as it needs the deductions?
Or too see that amount I’d be doing 6&5 every other @100hrs pw, then whatever allowances are paid will make me a millionaire again? [emoji38]

■■■■■■ as I’ve mates proving they taking 520 for 50hrs, day work, mon-fri" so I’m feeling like maybe this offer is an attempted mugging of my gentle nature [emoji28]

Appreciate the input [emoji41]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Do you want to tramp
Do you want day work, which one
As some say tramping is a way of life, my saying is it’s cheap labour and on top of that waking up in a place with no facilities, then going around all day looking like you just got out of the bed and if you have hair it’s sticking up all over the place
Iv tramped all over Europe in my time you made as much as you wanted, up to you totally how to do that in many ways, not a chance now there’s no difference weather it’s uk or Europe it’s just cheap labour at its best now and there will always be people ready to do it
It was a dream job in its day with plenty of respect wherever you went and the money was fantastic depending on how you operate

Depends on how many hours a week you’re contracted for, and whether they pay extra for hours worked above those. I was on £700 gross for a 48 hr week plus night out and attendance bonus. We never used POA so hours were averaged over 17 wks and if you looked like you’d be over the 48hr average they would keep your hrs down at the end of the period. If your contract doesn’t specify the hours, then you probably won’t get any more than the £580 no matter how many you work!!

Cheers chap, some food for thought indeed [emoji106]

Benjie83:

Now by my calculations it’s going to be 470ish per week in the hand as I’m assuming being “salaried” it’ll need NI/G&T/taking off, and Personal allowance juggle too…
Then your plus NIGHT out allowance/truck bonus/damage retention (those amounts unspecified) may get you back nearer 580.

So the question is, is my assumption right and I wouldn’t see 580 as it needs the deductions?
Or too see that amount I’d be doing 6&5 every other @100hrs pw, then whatever allowances are paid will make me a millionaire again? [emoji38]

■■■■■■ as I’ve mates proving they taking 520 for 50hrs, day work, mon-fri" so I’m feeling like maybe this offer is an attempted mugging of my gentle nature [emoji28]

Without the details such as how many days, and wether that includes the night out money, it’s hard to call. Regardless, any figure quoted will be before stoppages.

In short, if that’s for 5 days tramping, walk away now. If that’s for 4on-4off, tell me where this is… :grimacing:

Give it a go. Better to try if you dont like it you can quit.

about 5 years ago i was working for a small manufacturing place delving there own goods to building sites.
that was salaried. cant remember the exact pay but wasn’t bad and night out money if had any was paid cash in hand on a friday.
job was great own truck no on else used it even when was holiday. knew on a friday what my jobs were for all the next week,left along to get on with it.
was job and finish once done deliveries back to yard load up next load once done go home.
most days was done about 3ish . was good.
then after about a year got called into office had complaints you going early . basically the workshop was open 8 to 5 mon to fri
i used start at 4 or 5 every day . job and finish . and they wanted me to stay until the workshop shut.
so for a few weeks i agreed, but used get back 3ish then until 5 basically be trying look busy sweeping up washing truck etc went in said i want more money was offered £5 a week so i handed my notice in.

where i am now paid hourly and earning 100 week or more than last job for same hours . and if stuck in traffic still paid hourly or time half after 8 hours a day.

edd1974:
about 5 years ago i was working for a small manufacturing place delving there own goods to building sites.
that was salaried. cant remember the exact pay but wasn’t bad and night out money if had any was paid cash in hand on a friday.
job was great own truck no on else used it even when was holiday. knew on a friday what my jobs were for all the next week,left along to get on with it.
was job and finish once done deliveries back to yard load up next load once done go home.
then after about a year got called into office had complaints you going early . basically the workshop was open 8 to 5 mon to fri
i used start at 4 or 5 every day . job and finish . and they wanted me to stay until the workshop shut.
so for a few weeks i agreed, but used get back 3ish then until 5 basically be trying look busy sweeping up washing truck etc went in said i want more money was offered £5 a week so i handed my notice in.

where i am now paid hourly and earning 100 week or more than last job for same hours . and if stuck in traffic still paid hourly or time half after 8 hours a day.

Stuff like that is pony, the warehouse staff don’t have an issue that you’re up working for hours whilst they’re still in bed, but apparently you finishing before them is unacceptable. Yeh I’d have left too

Don’t accept salary unless it’s job & knock. Period.

Salaries are only any good for job & knock type jobs in my opinion.

In the world of hire & reward haulage you want to be getting paid for every minute you are on duty, otherwise you are going to get shafted in all likelihood. Don’t fall for any of the “swings & roundabouts” ■■■■■■■■.

edd1974:

3pm is not an early finish if you started at 4/5. Shame on the gaffer for being spineless and not setting his workshop bods straight.

rob22888:
Salaries are only any good for job & knock type jobs in my opinion.

In the world of hire & reward haulage you want to be getting paid for every minute you are on duty, otherwise you are going to get shafted in all likelihood. Don’t fall for any of the “swings & roundabouts” ■■■■■■■■.

That was kinda my thinking…

Cheers bud [emoji106]

Love the way you just casually accept ‘‘damage retention’’ as just being the norm, and entirely reasonable without even questioning it, instead of being a ■■■■ travesty that should NEVER have been accepted by any driver from day 1.
That would be the deal breaker from me to tell them to shove it right up there. :unamused:

robroy:
Love the way you just casually accept ‘‘damage retention’’ as just being the norm, and entirely reasonable without even questioning it, instead of being a [zb] travesty that should NEVER have been accepted by any driver from day 1.
That would be the deal breaker from me to tell them to shove it.

Oooooooh fear not monsieur, that’s one question that’ll be spread across the desk if I decide to have a sit down with em lol.

Sadly though its really becoming the norm on these adds as you know…

I mean who don’t love ‘free parking at their workplace’ or time off as holiday [emoji28] [emoji28]

The headline pay figure means the square root of bugger all as its stands.
If thats for a 35 hour actual working week it won’t be a bad little number, but we know that won’t be the case or anything like it because the job would not be available, there would genuinely be a pile of applications already vetted waiting for a start, mostly mates of drivers already there.

If its general tramping then i honestly wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole at that rate, we all know this will more than likely be a mixture of 15s and 13s and the inevitable ‘‘you’re the only one in the area’’ so that 15 on Friday still leaves you several hundred miles away with at least one delivery and collection to do Saturday, and will Saturday be paid extra? if so bloody wot?

No harm in going for the interview of course, but take no bloody notice of wot the bod selling the job tells you about the hours and typical workload.
Remember to ask the rate for bank holiday working, if that’s included and expected in the salary quoted i’d not waste another second listening to any more ■■■■■■■■.

Ain’t gonna happen anyway.

Juddian:
The headline pay figure means the square root of bugger all as its stands.
If thats for a 35 hour actual working week it won’t be a bad little number, but we know that won’t be the case or anything like it because the job would not be available, there would genuinely be a pile of applications already vetted waiting for a start, mostly mates of drivers already there.

If its general tramping then i honestly wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole at that rate, we all know this will more than likely be a mixture of 15s and 13s and the inevitable ‘‘you’re the only one in the area’’ so that 15 on Friday still leaves you several hundred miles away with at least one delivery and collection to do Saturday, and will Saturday be paid extra? if so bloody wot?

No harm in going for the interview of course, but take no bloody notice of wot the bod selling the job tells you about the hours and typical workload.
Remember to ask the rate for bank holiday working, if that’s included and expected in the salary quoted i’d not waste another second listening to any more ■■■■■■■■.

Cheers Juddian [emoji108][emoji1634]

the maoster:

Hater [emoji28]

But your probs not far off, money dependant of course [emoji28]

Benjie83:

the maoster:

Hater [emoji28]

But your probs not far off, money dependant of course [emoji28]

Where’s me popcorn, I’m sat in a hotel bar on me jack, wife gone to bed so let it kick off. :smiley:
Be gentle with Maoster though, dozy recks he’s suicidal. :laughing:

Benjie83:

Why are they quoting “per week”?
I’ve had a few salaried jobs, I’ve got one now and, without exception, salaried jobs pay monthly. I got extra for extra days and the advantage, as I see it, is you can budget easier as you get the same in your bank every month. You don’t get the fluctuations when you max out or are slack, you get the same on holiday.

A lot will depend on the integrity of the company with regard to hours and then you are getting closer to a “day rate” where you might get £150 a day but work a lot of hours. I’ve also had a day rate job & the early finish days were far fewer than late finish days wouldn’t take another.

Salary suits some, me included, but not every one. You need to decide what you find acceptable and leave those that are not to someone else.

Always been wary of salaried work in this game, why would they let you away with a 10 hour day, when they can get a 15 and a max out week off you for the same price.
I often have this discussion with a mate, as to why he maxs out when he could get the same pay for short days, …13 hour abso maxs/ no 15s is a no brainer to me.