Sainsbury's driving asssessment

On Monday I have a driving assessment with Sainsbury’s and as I’ve not done one before was wondering what to expect from it.
Any help would be welcome.

You didn’t state which RDC or whether it is direct or with an agency. Either way it is good work if you like being a trolley dolly! Most of the RDCs follow similar pattern but some have slightly diffent quirks, for instance what is OK at Waltham Point is not acceptable at Dartford but just follow site rules and SWOPs. Starts with site induction/H&S usual stuff and a short test based on what you have already been told. Usually go out on delivery and all that involves including selecting unit and trailer, coupling etc. and a safe drive/delivery, probably not more that one hour or so from the RDC. On return park trailer on bay, lock on dock and uncouple. .
I have heard at one RDC they allow up to SIX attempts to get on a bay, but I would guess this would be if you had done a good drive! No blind side reversing, even where the RDC has a one way system, under some circumstances you are allowed to spin round so that you reverse in on your side so that helps of course. They like a thorough coupling/uncoupling and don’t forget to take the keys out (and some like locking the cab as well!!) each time you leave the cab, using three points of contact - holding the steering wheel is a definite no-no. Most of their trailers are fridges and you should make sure which type of coupling they allow (eg Straight or split) but the trainer will tell you and you will be given a copy of the SWOPs. Definitely don’t drag the trailer legs, raise or lower the suspension as appropriate.
So really nothing untoward or shouldn’t be doing anyway. All of the trainers are ex-drivers but may not be employed by Sainsburys where a third party (eg DHL) run the site.
Good luck fella and hope it goes well for you. :smiley:

Check the height of the tractor unit before you reverse under the trailer then adjust the control buttons by the seat.
Check the windscreen wash bottle has enough wash in it, and test the horn too, and the oil, coolant levels to be checked.
Dont forget to apply the hand brake when coupling, i forget to do that.
Check the trailer brake before you drive off, a red button at the side of the trailer or at the front of the trailer by the air and electric connections.
Make the the chap you with stand behind the trailer to test the rear lights or they may have a mirror to do this in the yard.
Road tax and O licence,a quick glance to check expiry dates, and the all the tyres for cuts and wire showing.

And before you back under get out and check park brake is on.

It is very common for a trailer to run away, and many have been killed by trying to stop it, jumping back in the cab and getting run over by the tractor unit or trailer, some have stood in front of the cab with arms out to stop the cab moving, it is instinctive to do this.I have hooked up and the brake was off, it happens to all of us.

As with all supermarkets, especially at this time of year, you need a laid back attitude and plenty of patience. The work is pretty easy but some of the stores were built for horses and carts - and staff park cars all around the loading bay too.

All of their back doors have video so just get used to the idea that Big Bro is watching.

And hundreds of empty cages left in the area where you have to turn an artic around, and stuff that is left there, reject pallets and building materials in the way.

Cheers for the answers guys. It will be working for a contractor near to Preston, but the assessment is to be carried out near to Haydock.

i once went for an interview at haydock one saturday morning i spent about an hour sat in a corridor filling forms in nothing too taxing just normal driving hours,coupling and uncoupling procedures and some bits of health and safety.That was fine it was the next bit that did me they asked me to hang around for an hour or so while a trailer was loaded for me,it was a sheffield with a back load from over there somewhere when i found out i would’nt be paid for the afternoon and i would be expected to unload and reload the trailer at the other end while their driver trainer watched i sort of spat my dummy out told them where to stick the job and made a very undignified exit

toby1234abc:
Check the height of the tractor unit before you reverse under the trailer then adjust the control buttons by the seat.
Check the windscreen wash bottle has enough wash in it, and test the horn too, and the oil, coolant levels to be checked.
Dont forget to apply the hand brake when coupling, i forget to do that.
Check the trailer brake before you drive off, a red button at the side of the trailer or at the front of the trailer by the air and electric connections.
Make the the chap you with stand behind the trailer to test the rear lights or they may have a mirror to do this in the yard.
Road tax and O licence,a quick glance to check expiry dates, and the all the tyres for cuts and wire showing.

I do hope it is an Articulated Vehicle, you know the bendy one, that he is doing his assessment on, cause their trailers have red buttons, could be the taillift though.
I do hope that he is more conversant with HGV driving than “some” of the posts on here or he is fukked, wtf is that " Check the Trailer Brake "
Are you a driver?

i think that advice is more to do with being seen to be doing it. a bit like being told to move your head while looking in the mirror on your driving test ,so the examiner can “see” you are using them.

It is on one of those bendy artic’s so lets hope it has a trailer brake button. I’m just trying to get a better idea as to what to expect as I’ve never had one of these assessments in the past. It’s a bit of a leap of faith from my time on tippers, at least it should be cleaner work in the main.

The red button or parking brake on trailers, are you a driver?

worked out east kilbride sainsburys just the usuall 30 question sheet signs etc then out for a assessment park/drop trailor peice of p…s,was in there for 5 mth before i got full time ,sshops were easy enough too …

Got there yesterday for the assessment/ induction and they had no information that me and 4 others were supposed to be turning up. Great finish to the day. Well we’re supposed to be back tonight with tractor unit to start working out of their so I guess we will get the induction sooner or later.

■■■■ up and brewery spring to mind.

mcc46:
I guess we will get the induction sooner or later.

■■■■ up and brewery spring to mind.

Thats just normal proceedure at RDC`s, just crack on and eventually they might get around to doing the assesment

Last night did not happen. No one could decide when and where I was supposed to be running too. As this was supposed to be the first night for a new Sainsbury’s contract it does not bode well I feel. Can things get better or not. I was supposed to get all the info by lunch but by 18.00 I still had received nothing, is this a sign of the future to come or not.

BAR HUMBUG

Well if it’s like that when your in the depot you have to ask wot it’s gona be like when your down the rd wanting to get home

Couldn’t of said it better

maestro:
Well if it’s like that when your in the depot you have to ask wot it’s gona be like when your down the rd wanting to get home

Well I’ve knocked it on the head as they have not got anything sorted out.

So as of Monday I’m going to be working for Booths instead, happy days. :grimacing: :grimacing: