Safety Trainers

Due to better weather at last,purchased a spanking pair of pretty lightweight 30 quid Screwfix safety trainers to sport on my delicate and slightly sweaty feet… anyone had problems with site H and S or are they perfectly acceptable. Talking about general haulage, not building trade stuff??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally no issues. Same as you, general haulage so anywhere from RDC to building sites and anywhere in between.

Mind you mine are trainers but they don’t scream out that they’re trainers if you get me?

If you go to Sports direct they do a walking shoe for about £30 ish. These are fairly lightweight but very breathable. The best bit is they look very much like work shoes. In over 4 years of wearing these I have only been stopped once for wearing them.

Last place I worked at they provide safety trainers.
And.did genral haulage stuff no RDCs etc.
Never had an issue really.
Few places used ask but I used just kick the nearest thing ideally a metal post let them hear the ding sound just to prove they was steel.toecapped

msgyorkie:
If you go to Sports direct they do a walking shoe for about £30 ish. These are fairly lightweight but very breathable. The best bit is they look very much like work shoes. In over 4 years of wearing these I have only been stopped once for wearing them.

Why would any right minded person purposely wear non safety footwear for work that look like they’re safety footwear and offer zero protection for your feet?
Probably the most ludicrous advice ever been offered on the internet.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

msgyorkie:

Why would any right minded person purposely wear non safety footwear for work that look like they’re safety footwear and offer zero protection for your feet?

Because lets face it…driving for 4 hours, getting out to open the curtain, sitting in waiting room for 2 hours the driving back for 4 hours is hardly risky on your toes is it!

msgyorkie:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

msgyorkie:

Because lets face it…driving for 4 hours, getting out to open the curtain, sitting in waiting room for 2 hours the driving back for 4 hours is hardly risky on your toes is it!

Absolutely agree, with two small provisos… firstly that if the driver gets pulled up for it, they eat humble pie and wear what they are meant to and possibly more importantly for the financially savvy driver… if or more likely when we have a mishap and get injured then we willingly accept a significant reduction on any payout that may otherwise be coming to us, and if its a big injury that means you have to change jobs, they accept being released from the company rather than being found a cushty alternative. Other than that, can’t see any reason not to wear the right kit like wot the professionals do

Bought new pair last week from shoe Express, £25.00. and reimbursed by firm…

msgyorkie:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

msgyorkie:

A passing forktruck or an errant pallet or drum says otherwise.

When motorcycling you’re advised to never wear steel toes as they can crush your toes in a crash.

Funny how H&S is so contradictory…

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

msgyorkie:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

msgyorkie:

There we have it, a bullshiner!
Please inform us where in Britain you open the curtains of a trailer and then “sit in a waiting room for 2 hours”, you’re just another bullshiner and when your toes are crushed because you’re wearing shoes that look like they’re safety shoes but aren’t really then do us all a favour and ride around on your mobility scooter and keep your gob shut and don’t moan or attempt a claim through some employers insurance!

Safety boots often have laces. For those who cant manage the technical aspects of tying them, some also have zips up the side. So it really is easy to remove the boots and put on trainers or whatever when they arent required.
Velcro fasteners are available on trainers for those who can`t manage laces without the assistance of an adult.

*a grown up

Truckulent:
When motorcycling you’re advised to never wear steel toes as they can crush your toes in a crash.

The risks to your toes etc when riding a motorbike are different to those when dealing with heavy pallets etc or simply being around when heavy stuff is being moved. Having said that, none of my safety footwear over the past decade or more has featured steel toecaps (mainly because steel toecaps to me means cold feet, especially when combined with steel sole inserts).

Avoid the Karrimor brand if you don’t want them to fall apart within 6 months of little use. I think Karrimor is SportsDirect’s own brand but could be mistaken. They are cheap for a reason.

Quarry sector/tarmac gangs etc , elf n safety banned safety trainers as all safety footwear must have ankle protection . I wouldn’t be surprised if other sectors of the industry catch on to that soon , can’t have the serfs comfortable can we ?

Roymondo:

Truckulent:

The risks to your toes etc when riding a motorbike are different to those when dealing with heavy pallets etc or simply being around when heavy stuff is being moved. Having said that, none of my safety footwear over the past decade or more has featured steel toecaps (mainly because steel toecaps to me means cold feet, especially when combined with steel sole inserts).

Not really. The risks are - if your toes are subject to enough force your toes will be crushed. The laws of physics do not know whether you’re on a motorcycle or whether you’ve just had a pallet dropped on your foot.

Truckulent:

Roymondo:

Truckulent:

Not really. The risks are - if your toes are subject to enough force your toes will be crushed. The laws of physics do not know whether you’re on a motorcycle or whether you’ve just had a pallet dropped on your foot.

The type of likely incident are different though. Student parachutists used to wear boots but steel toe caps were banned. There is a chance of twisting your foot, and of the toe cap removing your toes. Guess that applies to bikes too. Bikers aren’t likely to encounter crush hazards as much as foot twisting?

Bikers require ankle protection much more so than toe protection. Trust me, as someone with enough titanium around their ankles to have an actual physical scrap value, I know.

Truckulent:

quite a few years ago on my way to work at Carryfast,riding my motorbike combo down a country lane,the sidecar came adrift,and i ended upside down in a ditch with the tangled mess of my bike on top of me,foot trapped in the wreckage and only saved by my steel toecaps :slight_smile:

Franglais:

Truckulent:

Roymondo:

Truckulent:

The type of likely incident are different though. Student parachutists used to wear boots but steel toe caps were banned. There is a chance of twisting your foot, and of the toe cap removing your toes. Guess that applies to bikes too. Bikers aren’t likely to encounter crush hazards as much as foot twisting?

Wearing steel toes in a lot of environments is like wearing a hard hat on the ports. Great if a bit of something falls off a container, but ■■■■ all use if a container falls.

They have some limited use and are an attempt to replace common sense. If a pallet falls on your toe, great. If it falls an inch closer to your leg you have a broken foot. So why not steel shoes?

I wouldn’t wear steel toes on a motorcycle. I do when driving, but have never even come close to needing them.