"Safer lorry scheme" starts today

the maoster:

Evil8Beezle:
Am I not meant to stick my head out the window and look myself? :open_mouth:

Donā€™t be daft.
Anyone behind will think that theyā€™re following a cattle truck! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

My van is now devoid of toys! :imp:

Roymondo:

shep532:

malcob:
they put a lady cyclist in truck this morning to show her what the driver could see, she was very surprised at the amount of blind spots when shown to her, more of this needs to be done making cyclists more aware, the cyclist can always see the truck the truck driver cannot always see the cyclist. I am glad I only get to drive in London rarely

I agree 100%. They call it exchanging places and so far reckon something like 20,000 cyclists have taken part. Unfortunately 20,000 is only a small scratch on the surface. It is a great idea and should be compulsory along with graphic TV adverts showing cyclist deaths

I wonder how many truck drivers have similarly tried cycling in busy traffic to experience things from the other perspective?

Iā€™ve forgotten the last figure I read but I seem to remember far more have done the FORS Safe Urban Driving course than cyclists have attended Exchanging Places. The FORS course has to be paid for - the cyclists get their little ā€˜courseā€™ for free!

I heard about this on the radio today.
First of all, what constitutes ā€œLondonā€?
Is it just the City of London?
Or does it include all the bits of Middlesex and Surrey inside say the M25?
And why does ā€œthe driverā€ risk a Ā£1000 fine?
Why not the operator or owner?
Ta.

axletramp:
Ta.

ā€œLondonā€ in this case means anywhere in the Low Emission Zone
and the operator gets the Ā£1000 fine.i think its a fixed penalty for the driver

axletramp:
Ta.

Anything inside the low emission zone. Both the operator and driver will be fined, much the same as getting caught on an lbts route or the lez itself. The operator sent you, but ultimately you drove it there knowing it didnā€™t comply with the regs. Down to you to argue it with the operator as to who pays your fine

Why not some slogans on the back, saying something like ā€˜Letā€™s see how ignorant a driver / rider you areā€¦ā– ā– ā€™

Then down the sides somewhere have ā€˜TOLD YOU SO!!!ā€™

Yeah OK, I work on a farm now, but you want to try and deal with cyclist with a tractor and trailer - much worse I think!ā– ā– ? :imp:

To quote my boss "ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  to London, and all that FORS ā– ā– ā– ā–  as well! " :smiley:

tommyboy1289:
Genuine question, does my vehicle conform with the standards? Shots from both sides, Iā€™m unsure about the rear end of it

I was at a waste paper firm today, they run a lot of 7.5 tonners, with a locker box set up like you. They had a guy measuring from the front of the lockers, fuel tank, exhaust and battery box, outwards towards the edge of the wheel arches. Donā€™t know if they were barking up the wrong tree, or if thereā€™s a requirement for the guards to be fitted flush to the arches

shep532:

Roymondo:

shep532:

malcob:
they put a lady cyclist in truck this morning to show her what the driver could see, she was very surprised at the amount of blind spots when shown to her, more of this needs to be done making cyclists more aware, the cyclist can always see the truck the truck driver cannot always see the cyclist. I am glad I only get to drive in London rarely

I agree 100%. They call it exchanging places and so far reckon something like 20,000 cyclists have taken part. Unfortunately 20,000 is only a small scratch on the surface. It is a great idea and should be compulsory along with graphic TV adverts showing cyclist deaths

I wonder how many truck drivers have similarly tried cycling in busy traffic to experience things from the other perspective?

Iā€™ve forgotten the last figure I read but I seem to remember far more have done the FORS Safe Urban Driving course than cyclists have attended Exchanging Places. The FORS course has to be paid for - the cyclists get their little ā€˜courseā€™ for free!

AIUI the FORS course is paid for by TfL

OVLOV JAY:
Itā€™s a bit of a joke in the container game. If the trailer is extended, ie traveling position for a 20ft or 40ft, then weā€™re exempt and donā€™t need side guards. However, if the trailer is in the closed position, we fall in scope of the regulations and need them, at Ā£400 a trailer (we have 90, so lucky they were fitted from new). The joke is, itā€™s illegal to drive in the closed position without a lifting front axle :unamused:

Whyā€™s it illegal to drive closed without lifting a front axle?

Might as well learn something new [emoji1]

As for rest of it, sooooo glad I donā€™t have to go near BorisDeVille dump

Anyone know where you stand on a Luton van?
In London 5 nights a week and none of our vans have any side ā€˜protectionā€™

One of our trucks which is being changed out at the end of the year doesnā€™t have a front mirror on.

Iā€™ve lots of opinions of the matter. The only driving I do in and out of London is at night. What good is a front mirror I can see nothing but darkness out of going to do?

I Really liked the BBC news video of the woman getting into a lorry cab to see just how little we can see.

The cyclist in a lorry idea needs to be happening on a much larger scale just to make people aware that they need to hang back and give us some room. Weā€™ll let you past when itā€™s safe, just give us the same patience that the majority/good lorry drivers give you!

shippy95:
Anyone know where you stand on a Luton van?
In London 5 nights a week and none of our vans have any side ā€˜protectionā€™

If your vehicle is under 3.5 ton your fine .Do you have a tacho in it if yes you have
to meet the new regs.

Roymondo:
AIUI the FORS course is paid for by TfL

Not any more. An official SUD course is now Ā£90 plus upload fee. Bulk bookings are available at a discounted rate - but not much. Thereā€™s still a little bit of TFL funding in London but not much.

The whole FORS thing is now run as a business. Operators pay for audits and training. Now it is being rolled out across the UK I find I am getting enquiries for the SUD course up here in Lancashire from operators that donā€™t even go into London. It seems some quarries and construction companies want to comply

tommyboy1289:
Genuine question, does my vehicle conform with the standards? Shots from both sides, Iā€™m unsure about the rear end of it

I havenā€™t checked the actual requirements but that doesnā€™t look cyclist friendly to me. Definitely worth checking it out rather than get Ā£50 penalty and warned for court

dcgpx:

OVLOV JAY:
Itā€™s a bit of a joke in the container game. If the trailer is extended, ie traveling position for a 20ft or 40ft, then weā€™re exempt and donā€™t need side guards. However, if the trailer is in the closed position, we fall in scope of the regulations and need them, at Ā£400 a trailer (we have 90, so lucky they were fitted from new). The joke is, itā€™s illegal to drive in the closed position without a lifting front axle :unamused:

Whyā€™s it illegal to drive closed without lifting a front axle?

Might as well learn something new [emoji1]

As for rest of it, sooooo glad I donā€™t have to go near BorisDeVille dump

All to do with the distance from the drive to the front axle on the trailer, something about the turning circle regs according to our fors auditor. Personally I wouldnā€™t pull one closed up I had limited access. The side of the trailer tells you not to

standard.co.uk/news/transpor ā€¦ 24376.html

This was on the front page of last nightā€™s London Evening Standard. It follows on from Welly Bobbyā€™s post on the last page.

Much more work needs to be done with the cyclists. I have lost count of the times I have seen cyclists jump red lights and ignore all sorts of traffic signs, commands, directions etc.

Just stand on any major junction in London with a video camera then send it to Boris who is a keen cyclist and ask him for his opinion. TFL is spending Thousands on the cycle super highway which is, in some places, being ignored by the cyclists but causing mayhem for everyone else.

You can throw all the legislation you like at HGV operators and drivers, but until someone actually stands up to the cyclists and starts dishing out some fairly hefty fines for traffic offences, no one will get anywhere.

Does a cyclist pay Vehicle Excise Duty :question:
Does the person riding that cycle carry insurance for that cycle :question:
Is the cycle registered with a registration plate :question:
Has the person in control of that cycle actually passed any sort of test that says he is proficient to ride that cycle on the highway :question:
Are cycles subjected to any sort of servicing or annual testing such as other motor vehicles that use the roads :question:

I do like Borisā€™s left handed way of thinking.
Probably just be easier to have a steering lock fitted to stop construction vehicles being able to turn the steering wheel to the left. :bulb:

One feels that his whole thought process is flawed due to being unaware that tipper drivers are trying to kill cyclists and making them easier to spot is a bonus, not to mention if all cyclists believe trucks cant turn left then they are more at risk when one does by giving them a false sense of security that because they arent supposed to turn left they wont.

As we all know the taboo subject of cyclists taking ownership for their own safety as well is the last resort as this leads to accountability which is kryptonite to your average lycra lemming.

Disclaimer: Im joking about tipper drivers wanting to murder cyclists on purpose, with the possible exception of those wearing the ā€˜kill me quickā€™ helmet cams.

malcob:

I had a lady cyclist in my truck onceā€¦

the nodding donkey:

malcob:

I had a lady cyclist in my truck onceā€¦

Donā€™t tease, tell us the full story, pics would be nice!