"Safer lorry scheme" starts today

What are the requirements for this? Run under bars and mirrors?

A sticker on the back saying ‘do not undertake’. A sticker on a trailer wheelarch saying ‘you were warned’. A baseball bat on an air release and strong spring approx. 4ft (1.2m) from ground near landing legs!

tfl.gov.uk/info-for/freight/safer-lorry-scheme

It’s a bit of a joke in the container game. If the trailer is extended, ie traveling position for a 20ft or 40ft, then we’re exempt and don’t need side guards. However, if the trailer is in the closed position, we fall in scope of the regulations and need them, at £400 a trailer (we have 90, so lucky they were fitted from new). The joke is, it’s illegal to drive in the closed position without a lifting front axle :unamused:

Been reading this and just want the mirror thing cleared up.
is the Class V mirror the kerb mirror?
the class VI the front mirror?

they put a lady cyclist in truck this morning to show her what the driver could see, she was very surprised at the amount of blind spots when shown to her, more of this needs to be done making cyclists more aware, the cyclist can always see the truck the truck driver cannot always see the cyclist. I am glad I only get to drive in London rarely

muckles:
Been reading this and just want the mirror thing cleared up.
is the Class V mirror the kerb mirror?
the class VI the front mirror?

Yes

malcob:
they put a lady cyclist in truck this morning to show her what the driver could see, she was very surprised at the amount of blind spots when shown to her, more of this needs to be done making cyclists more aware, the cyclist can always see the truck the truck driver cannot always see the cyclist. I am glad I only get to drive in London rarely

I agree 100%. They call it exchanging places and so far reckon something like 20,000 cyclists have taken part. Unfortunately 20,000 is only a small scratch on the surface. It is a great idea and should be compulsory along with graphic TV adverts showing cyclist deaths

shep532:

malcob:

I agree 100%. They call it exchanging places and so far reckon something like 20,000 cyclists have taken part. Unfortunately 20,000 is only a small scratch on the surface. It is a great idea and should be compulsory along with graphic TV adverts showing cyclist deaths

+1
regards dave.

dafdave:

shep532:

malcob:

+1
regards dave.

+2 Anything that raises awareness in the general population is a good thing.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34112602

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34115046

Sorry, but I don’t know how to embed a video from the BBC site.

OVLOV JAY:
It’s a bit of a joke in the container game. If the trailer is extended, ie traveling position for a 20ft or 40ft, then we’re exempt and don’t need side guards. However, if the trailer is in the closed position, we fall in scope of the regulations and need them, at £400 a trailer (we have 90, so lucky they were fitted from new). The joke is, it’s illegal to drive in the closed position without a lifting front axle :unamused:

Our place have been sending out the texts saying if going to London we must have the newer trailers with the 2 foot side guard thingys, the ones that cover up the bloomin buttons when shortened on mine.

Needless to say most of the lads like me have ditched the newer trailers for an old spec one and cant do London this week, much to the surprise of a few planners. Its like ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ pass the parcel with all the agency lads copin for the new trailers no other bugger wants…

I expect a new company text soon asking all drivers to stop swapin trailers to avoid London runs.

, and can i ask ,
what have they done to "Make cyclists aware " as a campaign :question: :unamused:

Guess where I’m going tomorrow!

Radar19:

Skeggy?

The next thing Boris want soon is N/S side door lower windows fitting to all the trucks in London, he says it will cost around a £1000 per truck to do. Then in the interim he want glass side door fitting to all trucks.
Then the wants to ban all trucks from turning left in London. He stands down as mayor in May next year and wants it all approved before then!!
I was in London for a long weekend and watching the push Hogg riders they need looking at.

Thanks Welly

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Radar19:

Skeggy?

I wish! I’d take Skegvegus over London anyway.

Radar19:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Radar19:

Skeggy?

I wish! I’d take Skegvegus over London anyway.

Best of luck mate, just glad it’s you and not me! :smiley:

P.S. I’ve got a side mirror on the drivers side of my truck, as well as the passenger side! :confused:
Am I not meant to stick my head out the window and look myself? :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:
Am I not meant to stick my head out the window and look myself? :open_mouth:

Don’t be daft.

Anyone behind will think that they’re following a cattle truck! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Genuine question, does my vehicle conform with the standards? Shots from both sides, I’m unsure about the rear end of it

shep532:

malcob:

I wonder how many truck drivers have similarly tried cycling in busy traffic to experience things from the other perspective?