Safe overnighting

The missus is doing next week for me again and is venturing into unknown territory ie the UK. Would rather be doing this one myself but shes adamant she’ll be fine , im trusting her. Tues morning shes tipping at Reef One Norwich and reloading with cast iron (pump castings and impellers) at Kilner and Hutchinson Huddersfield. At a rough guess shes going to be overnighting in the Huddersfield area, what i need to know is wheres the best stop i can point her to without going into an MSA ?

Think the Stockyard would be her best bet Andrew.

I used to park in brighouse on armytage road. Nice and quiet, close to Sainsbury’s and a nice little town for a beer and nice chips :slight_smile:
2-3 mins off m62, i think its the junction 25.

Doncaster cattle market :bulb:

The stockyard is an hour away, not sure that’s best option of she’s been at it all day time might not be on her side.

Was gonna post to say who would want to steal them but I know better. :unamused:

I would say stockyard, or get her to ask if she can stay, were she has loaded till the morning.

What about these 2 ive used armytage road before and had no hassel.I use the HGV parking app and the sites are normally fine.She could ask to stay on site were she will be loading.

Park around by Asda at Morley on the Ind est. always full of trucks and the Asda is 24 hour plus a chippy next to it. Or park down by Beresfords Transport off Chain Bar on the M62 where Ikea and the retail parks are.

You sound so concerned so just tell her to go to a layby
If it was my other half I would make sure she was in a place with plenty of other trucks and had services
And the reason been so she would go again

Also the industrial estate by our yard in Barnsley off Claycliffe Road is safe where all the car dealers are. Big pub on the roundabout and a chippy that does pizzas and kebabs across the road an Indian and Chinese 5 mins walk plus a pub that does great snap and homemade pies to die for around the corner from our yard. She could then go to Huddersfield via the A635/A629 Denby Dale/Shepley way if she wanted to avoid the car park that is the M62 most days

Suedehead:

That ain’t been there for donkeys years.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Suedehead:

I don’t think he meant to park, and i don’t think AndrewG will be impressed.

biggriffin:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Suedehead:

I don’t think he meant to park, and i don’t think AndrewG will be impressed.

He’s looking for a cheap place to park the truck his words not mine

I can’t advise on the area but since it’s your nearest & dearest a Travel Lodge, a Village or one of the other hotel chains would seem to be suitable. There might even be one attached to an MSA in the area. Just park the lorry where she can and get a taxi both ways if necessary. I am sure the wallet can stretch that far - and it will be a legitimate business expense after all.

If she comes off the brighouse junction and heads towards Dewsbury, rather than Brighouse, there’s a layby there both sides, but it fills early. A few hundred yards further on and there’s a Travelodge type place and a nice pub (The Mill).

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Ill google map some of these so shes got a few options. Im not bothered re cost its relative safety for her im a little concerned about. Also, im confident in her abilities but this is the first time driving in the UK/on the left so also a little concerned here as well. Shes a good driver and im probably worried over nothing but cant help this one niggling me a little…

You could always double team, and have some quality time with the wife, and crack on for an extra load.

As stated (if time is on her side) the stockyard, iirc there are dedicated showers and facilities for the ladies, plus decent food and entertainment onsite and relatively cheap for a truck stop, I live nearby too should any assistance or local knowledge be required.

A couple of thoughts if she is nervous about driving on the wrong side of the road. None of this is meant to be scary, just how I see things. The A2 and A20 both have reminder signs for a short distance from the Port which have been there since the 1960s ‘Links Fahren’ & ‘Tenez La Gauche’. Because I live in the area I use the A20 or M20 virtually daily, if it starts raining or is misty then I avoid the M20 since I can virtually predict that there will be an incident. The traffic on the M20 when a couple of ferries and trains have arrived recently IS absolutely manic. The lorries are literally trunk holding tail. The M2 being only two lanes is no better. Both roads feature almost daily on the Radio 2 traffic news, the area to watch is around Ashford on the M20 or Faversham on the M2, which seems to be possibly due to a false confidence being acquired after a few miles or concern about catching the boat/train on the return trip. There was a particularly sad incident only a couple of weeks ago when a minor collision with a mini resulted in the foreign lorry overturning and the driver’s female passenger(wife?) being killed. The cars in the area seem to have no idea about lorry blindspots, nor about how to join a M’way. There are almost daily lorry/car pull out type incidents. J10 M20 westbound is one to be particularly careful about since it is almost a blind approach for both parties. Best option in a lorry is to be in lane 2 until well beyond it. Neither road quietens down until about 20.30GMT.

The A20 laybys which used to be chock a block full of foreign reg lorries are now deserted, with the enforcement people out every night according to the local TV news. Parking is even more difficult than it used to be as a result. Maidstone services is a complete joke with just about enough room to park a wheelbarrow.

Disregarding the motive behind any comments I have made in the past about the channel crossing, I wonder whether it might be better for her to cross from Holland to Harwich, she would be nearer to Norwich and on quieter but much slower roads after the initial A14 to Ipswich. It is however some years since used the A140 so it is over to others to approve or not.