SAF or Merc axles?

So I’m pretty much decided on buying a brand new trailer for bulk tipper work. Looking like its going to be a Fruehauf (not direct I may add!), just wondered what’s your opinions/preference was between SAF or Merc axles on discs?

The salesman I’ve spoken to has told me that although Merc were always the preferred axle, they have had some problems with cracking around the hub recently and at £650 extra he would recommend the SAF axle. He claims Fruehauf trailers are now 90% SAF axles and they’re a hell of a lot stronger than they previously have been.

Your opinions please………

Cheers
Matt.

Shoot me if I am wrong but I think when the saf hub cap falls off the hub follows very soon after!

If I was buying a new trailer I wouldn’t spec either axle to be honest,I’d go for BPW drums especially on a tipper,are you in and out of quarries and wheel washes much? The calipers on Disc brakes don’t like dirt/dust and can be troublesome.I find the BPW drums hard to beat,easy to maintain and rarely need anything other than routine maintenance,I can get 4-5 years out of a set of shoes on flat trailers running re bar to building sites which is heavy and often dirty work.

i would agree with mr punchard, weve got a 2008 bulker on merc discs and its been spot on, pad wear is good even on local work and had no other probs at all, i wouldent go near saf axle to be honest, lot of people ive spoke to have had problems, ive heard of having to cut the hub off with gas axe and allsorts,thats just my experience im sure somebody will say different.

Don’t do much quarry work to be honest it’s 95% grain and feed. I have always been recommended Merc axles but as I say this salesman was adamant I should get SAF as Fruehauf prefer them nowadays.

My experience with SAF axles is you get a lot of end float
Only rectifiable with new wheel bearings when too excessive.

I would go for BPW. Worth the extra money over SAF.

Can never trust the reason they push stuff probably more margin for them on SAF.

SAF’s not one that springs into mind to recommend but there’s always a risk that they have a short period of issues and get a rep that becomes forever truck folklore. I think discs suffer from this as I just don’t have much trouble with them.

don’t go with anything with springs, whilst bpw are good I don’t know if they yet do an axle without springs, u bolts,etc
mercs discs are not bad to work on whilst the saf axle tend to fit a slightly thicker disc
have you got any type of engine brake on your unit? merc discs don’t last long at all round Derbyshire on bulk work behind a unit without an engine brake/retarder
a while ago saf axles were under warranty for 5 years but I think merc would stand by their axles for longer than that!

I’ve had merc axles on various push outs on landfill work never had any problems at all

So, you’re non the wiser then lol! Who you buying it off, Newton is it? I presume you gave up trying to buy direct?

Yeah I gave up trying to buy direct. It’s actually Gerry Clayton Commercials from near Brigg I’m dealing with. I bought the trailer I have now from him and he’s offered a lot more for trade in than Newton did. But no I’m none the wiser on which axle to spec. I was going to pay the extra for Merc but when he said Fruehauf are 90% SAF it threw me a bit!

Can’t help you much apart from the fact one day I was talking to a bulker O/D about axles who also described the above scenario of having to gas axe a loaded SAF hub off in a layby :open_mouth:

xfmatt:
I’m none the wiser on which axle to spec. I was going to pay the extra for Merc but when he said Fruehauf are 90% SAF it threw me a bit!

How long are you planning on keeping it? At a guess most of Fruehauf sales are probably fleet/lease sales which will get chopped in after a year or two, in which case the £cost per trailer unit will be king over axle quality and any long lasting benefits of spending the extra.

Big Joe:
Can’t help you much apart from the fact one day I was talking to a bulker O/D about axles who also described the above scenario of having to gas axe a loaded SAF hub off in a layby :open_mouth:

xfmatt:
I’m none the wiser on which axle to spec. I was going to pay the extra for Merc but when he said Fruehauf are 90% SAF it threw me a bit!

How long are you planning on keeping it? At a guess most of Fruehauf sales are probably fleet/lease sales which will get chopped in after a year or two, in which case the £cost per trailer unit will be king over axle quality and any long lasting benefits of spending the extra.

Ilk be keeping it 5yrs plus to be honest with you but as an owner driver it will be looked after. Planning in paying it over 5 years to keep cost down as my unit will be up for replacement next year.

Dont you mean Daimler axles.Might have the 3 point star on the hub caps but they are made by Daimler Chrysler.

Bking:
Dont you mean Daimler axles.Might have the 3 point star on the hub caps but they are made by Daimler Chrysler.

Errr FAIL :laughing:

Chrysler are owned by FIAT now, so the Mercedes branded axles are made by a subsidiary of Daimler AG.

The three pointed star is a trademark of Mercedes Benz.

If it wears a three pointed star, it is a Mercedes Benz part.

HTH :wink:

newmercman:

Bking:

Chrysler are owned by FIAT now, so the Mercedes branded axles are made by a subsidiary of Daimler AG.

What like the crap ZF gearbox that they fit with a 3 pointed star.
Didnt know ZF was part of the Mercedes empire!

from my experience of being a fitter for over 10yrs I think your mad if you buy a tipper with disc brakes, endless cracked discs, seized calliper sliders etc, they really don’t like gritty water. bpw eco plus axles with drum brakes are by far the best imo. :wink:

Bking:

newmercman:

Bking:

What like the crap ZF gearbox that they fit with a 3 pointed star.
Didnt know ZF was part of the Mercedes empire!

Which gearbox is that?

have spent many a happy day repairing ZF Gearboxes …Will agree with Bking (which is a first )they are pretty chocolate…But I get the impression rightly or wrongly that he hasn’t ever overhauled a gearbox,but likes to jump on the bandwagon of what is and isn’t good…A majority of issues on the ZF 16 and 8 speed boxes ie 3rd gar synchros are according to ZF down to driver abuse …Since in warranty I have to follow their guidelines ,then I agree…The new 6 speed box has carried over the bearing issue from the old 6 speed box sadly…

I have heard somewhere Merc where using a ZF box which suprised me to say the least .wether it is true or not I do not know.I thught Merc did their own…But Volvo also use ZF boxes a well so you never know