sacked

well finished this week with a meeting when i got back to the depo. Sorry sir but we cannot continue with your employment… reasons being the amount of accident i have had. 3 months i’ve had 3… 1 bad one when i ended up driving into a over head canopy. I was instructed to drive under it by the guy seeing me through the car park but still im at fault ‘‘im the driver’’ 1 i ripped the curtain a little on a fence and the last one i literally tapped a gate but the guy is saying that i have broken his hydraulic rams for the gate… bull ■■■■ they where broken anyway i tried explaining this to my now ex employer but they where more bothered about me not reporting it… TBH i did not think twice about it no damage done i tapped the gate reversed and re positioned and then went through it on a better angle spoke to the guy with general chit chat and then left an hour or so later i got a phone call from my manager… anyway i think that was the last straw :grimacing:

I’ve always been a very hard worker. yes i have struggled to find places in the middle of Birmingham but hey who wouldn’t. right? they got rid of another 2 lads yesterday as well… i’m sure they come up with plenty of excesses for them also i was told it was a permanent job when i started… now the work is tailing off they get rid of employees pppffft cowboys

anyway cya later multi drop. I’m just thankful that i had another job lined up. heartless getting rid of some one so near to xmas

peace out,

I feel for you mate. But I can also see where the company are coming from. Failure to report an incident is mis conduct and could be seen as gross mis conduct therefore giving grounds for dismissal. Good luck with the next job mate.

Wackattak:
I feel for you mate. But I can also see where the company are coming from. Failure to report an incident is mis conduct and could be seen as gross mis conduct therefore giving grounds for dismissal. Good luck with the next job mate.

thanks buddy, did not see any point in reporting in all fairness. i had not done any damage and the guy was happy ‘‘at the time’’

Ergot2005:

Wackattak:

thanks buddy, did not see any point in reporting in all fairness. i had not done any damage and the guy was happy ‘‘at the time’’

Until he realised he could get his gates fixed for free on the insurance! You are guilty of naivety in the extreme there!

As for the other two incidents, you are the driver, you are responsible unfortunately. Put yourself in your former employers shoes, 3 accidents in 3 months is a lot, that’s 3 lots of damage to repair, 3 lots of accident and insurance forms to fill out, and 3 lots of bad will you have engendered towards yourself from management.

It sounds like you weren’t suited to the job, and you have something else lined up, so chalk it up to experience and move on. That’s exactly what probation periods are for.

Businesses aren’t charitable organisations, so to call them heartless, seems odd to me.

I’m in the same boat as you pal, I’ve hit a few things and I’ve only been employed for a few months. I got told that hitting things is all part of the experience and not many drivers don’t ever hit anything in their time. Some of the places I have to deliver to are not designed for large vehicles and if I didn’t hit anything it would be a bloody miracle.

To be honest I don’t have any regrets or feel bad about it, as I’ve come out of it all a lot more confident and aware of everything on the roads.

Onwards and upwards pal!

Ergot2005:
well finished this week with a meeting when i got back to the depo. Sorry sir but we cannot continue with your employment… reasons being the amount of accident i have had. 3 months i’ve had 3… 1 bad one when i ended up driving into a over head canopy. I was instructed to drive under it by the guy seeing me through the car park but still im at fault ‘‘im the driver’’ 1 i ripped the curtain a little on a fence and the last one i literally tapped a gate but the guy is saying that i have broken his hydraulic rams for the gate… bull [zb] they where broken anyway i tried explaining this to my now ex employer but they where more bothered about me not reporting it… TBH i did not think twice about it no damage done i tapped the gate reversed and re positioned and then went through it on a better angle spoke to the guy with general chit chat and then left an hour or so later i got a phone call from my manager… anyway i think that was the last straw :grimacing:

I’ve always been a very hard worker. yes i have struggled to find places in the middle of Birmingham but hey who wouldn’t. right? they got rid of another 2 lads yesterday as well… i’m sure they come up with plenty of excesses for them also i was told it was a permanent job when i started… now the work is tailing off they get rid of employees pppffft cowboys

anyway cya later multi drop. I’m just thankful that i had another job lined up. heartless getting rid of some one so near to xmas

peace out,

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This is the new drivers’ forum, there will be loads of others in much the same position…myself included.

Hitting stuff is part of the ‘experience’ you’re expected to be gathering in your first couple of years. That’s why so many employers won’t touch ‘inexperienced’ drivers, because they know some bumps and scrapes are probably just around the corner.

The important thing is that every incident is a learning opportunity. You learn that the front edge of the trailer sticks out more than the cab when you graze your first gate. You learn that the rear of the cab is in a completely different place to the rear of the trailer when you first reverse into something because you were too busy watching the trailer. You learn about tail swing when you open up the side of your first car like a tin opener.

Never let any incident be repeated, though. You should only ever make each mistake once, and hope that it is slight enough not to do too much damage. Eventually you will have figured out the boundaries of your vehicle and the incidents will reduce or stop altogether (if you’re wise and a little bit lucky). You’ll also probably have learned to ask for help whenever it looks a little tight or potentially dangerous.

ORC:
Never let any incident be repeated, though. You should only ever make each mistake once, and hope that it is slight enough not to do too much damage. Eventually you will have figured out the boundaries of your vehicle and the incidents will reduce or stop altogether (if you’re wise and a little bit lucky). You’ll also probably have learned to ask for help whenever it looks a little tight or potentially dangerous.

Wow! :open_mouth:

Couldn’t have put it better!

I’ve never agreed with this philosophy that new drivers are expected to have accidents/hit stuff,I managed 9.5 years (4 years rigid,5.5 years artic) from passing til I had my first bump and that was just a light lense on the trailer circa £50 damage I was annoyed because I had set myself a personal target of making the 10 years without incident.
We deliver to some very tight places it’s about taking your time,getting out as many times as needed and taking your time,if people pass there test and have the mindset that it’s ok to have minor bumps because they are newbies then straight away they are setting themselves up to fail.
On the cost side of things I used to work for a company that self insured and EVERY accident regardless of how minor it was cost them £1500,so you can see how that would quickly become an issue 3 accidents @ £1500 a time is £4500 MINIMUM cost to business that could wipe out a trucks profit for 6 months plus the driver will still want paying this is why companies won’t allow multiple accidents regardless of how minor they may be.
Sorry but being a newbie isn’t an excuse you should expect to be able to rely on,accidents cost money and someone has to be held accountable.

xichrisxi:
I’ve never agreed with this philosophy that new drivers are expected to have accidents/hit stuff,I managed 9.5 years (4 years rigid,5.5 years artic) from passing til I had my first bump and that was just a light lense on the trailer circa £50 damage I was annoyed because I had set myself a personal target of making the 10 years without incident.
We deliver to some very tight places it’s about taking your time,getting out as many times as needed and taking your time,if people pass there test and have the mindset that it’s ok to have minor bumps because they are newbies then straight away they are setting themselves up to fail.
On the cost side of things I used to work for a company that self insured and EVERY accident regardless of how minor it was cost them £1500,so you can see how that would quickly become an issue 3 accidents @ £1500 a time is £4500 MINIMUM cost to business that could wipe out a trucks profit for 6 months plus the driver will still want paying this is why companies won’t allow multiple accidents regardless of how minor they may be.
Sorry but being a newbie isn’t an excuse you should expect to be able to rely on,accidents cost money and someone has to be held accountable.

I’ll tell you want i think accidents are very much acceptable miss judging a gap, and the such is an error of judgement to a human who is not perfect… BUT hear me out… bad, poor, dangerous driving through lack of care or concentration is very much NOT acceptable IE rear ending a car In my view comes under this heading this is not a miss judgment this is dangerous… of course the car can have a lot to contrbute to this but that’s a different story.

You sir have done well not to have ANY accidents in your near 10 years. I think in general a lot has to do with the type of driving you do area, stress, and the such. Not saying you had an easy job mate just a general comment

Ergot2005:

xichrisxi:

I’ll tell you want i think accidents are very much acceptable miss judging a gap, and the such is an error of judgement to a human who is not perfect… BUT hear me out… bad, poor, dangerous driving through lack of care or concentration is very much NOT acceptable IE rear ending a car In my view comes under this heading this is not a miss judgment this is dangerous… of course the car can have a lot to contrbute to this but that’s a different story.

You sir have done well not to have ANY accidents in your near 10 years. I think in general a lot has to do with the type of driving you do area, stress, and the such. Not saying you had an easy job mate just a general comment

If you consider an average of 10-15 drops per day in a artic delivering to small convinience stores on housing estates ect easy then yes I’ve had it easy.
I’ve spoke with drivers before and come to the conclusion that the tighter the drop in general the more care you take,we have drops that are very tight yet no one has had accidents there and we have shops that have acres of room yet that is where most accidents occur.

xichrisxi:

Ergot2005:

xichrisxi:

If you consider an average of 10-15 drops per day in a artic delivering to small convinience stores on housing estates ect easy then yes I’ve had it easy.
I’ve spoke with drivers before and come to the conclusion that the tighter the drop in general the more care you take,we have drops that are very tight yet no one has had accidents there and we have shops that have acres of room yet that is where most accidents occur.

sure i said that comment was not aimed at you though

Rule number 1 in driving (and life) COVER YOUR ARSE!!!
But don’t tell lies, as the second you do you’ve lost your credibility and integrity…
Say what happened, admit what you did wrong, show remorse and demonstrate to those in power that you learnt from it! :wink:

I’m going to congratulate xichrisxi for making almost 10 years, but I do think you’re the exception to the rule and I’m more in ORC’s camp. Sorry pal! :smiley: Driving a truck is like everything in life, a learning experience and sometimes we get it wrong. We trust people we shouldn’t, and hit a canopy! :laughing: Then we trust a happy seeming client who then sees an opportunity :imp: . And I won’t even go there with a firm that did the dirty on you and 2 others… :unamused: I’m guessing you were doing pallets which is generally mainly business deliveries, and these I found tend to wind down towards Xmas and take a while to pick up afterwards. So the accountant at the firm see’s you and the others as an unnecessary expense for a month or two! :open_mouth: And guess what, they’ll then get a few more Newbies on in the NewYear and tell them the same lie… :laughing:

But don’t feel bad about it pal, you’ve used them just as much as they’ve used you! :grimacing:
You’ve 3 months experience now, and you’re no longer a zero experience. You’ve a foot in the door, and the door is more ajar than when you were a fresh pass.You should hopefully have learnt a lot about the dimensions of your truck now, as well as general driving on the road and setting yourself up for a reverse. Damage should reduce with experience, and you know now not to trust a banksman as they are often not drivers, and even then some are screwdrivers and don’t stay in the mirrors… :unamused: So you’ve learnt to check yourself and minimise your trust or reliance on a banksman as much as possible… :wink:

Great that you’ve something else lined up and be positive mate, it wasn’t you or what you did if 2 others went yesterday…
Now you get to start brand now somewhere else, and try to avoid the nickname “Bandicoot” :grimacing:
(You probably won’t get that Juddian! :smiley:)

You’re up early too Evil (i’ve got man flue and drowning lying down), and no i haven’t a bloody clue what the hell bandicoot cold possibly mean :blush:

Juddian:
You’re up early too Evil (i’ve got man flue and drowning lying down), and no i haven’t a bloody clue what the hell bandicoot cold possibly mean :blush:

I’m going to bed soon mate, I’m on lates, or rather nights… :unamused:
Well for you (as you’re ill mate.:cry:) it’s one of the best games that launched the PlayStation 1 and it’s full title is “CRASH Bandicoot”.
So I’m sure you get it now, and I’ve seen a couple of nameplates of Bandicoot and do wonder if the driver gave it to themselves, or innocent to why their workmates brought them it? :open_mouth:

hope you’re better soon and you stop abusing the company sickness policy… :laughing:
(You’re going to hate me for that! :wink:)

Evil8Beezle:

Juddian:
hope you’re better soon and you stop abusing the company sickness policy… :laughing:
(You’re going to hate me for that! :wink:)

Arrgh, thats the trouble with t’internet, you can’t get physically get hold of some bugger to throttle 'em… :wink: :laughing:

As for sickies, no i’m not a hypocrit, i’ve never taken a days sick, period…and yes i’m off to the tattoist cos MUG, spelled with only the U being the only common letter :bulb: , is starting to fade and only the senior planner can see it at present :unamused:

anyway what playstation when its at home?

Evil8Beezle:
Rule number 1 in driving (and life) COVER YOUR ARSE!!!
But don’t tell lies, as the second you do you’ve lost your credibility and integrity…
Say what happened, admit what you did wrong, show remorse and demonstrate to those in power that you learnt from it! :wink:

I’m going to congratulate xichrisxi for making almost 10 years, but I do think you’re the exception to the rule and I’m more in ORC’s camp. Sorry pal! :smiley: Driving a truck is like everything in life, a learning experience and sometimes we get it wrong. We trust people we shouldn’t, and hit a canopy! :laughing: Then we trust a happy seeming client who then sees an opportunity :imp: . And I won’t even go there with a firm that did the dirty on you and 2 others… :unamused: I’m guessing you were doing pallets which is generally mainly business deliveries, and these I found tend to wind down towards Xmas and take a while to pick up afterwards. So the accountant at the firm see’s you and the others as an unnecessary expense for a month or two! :open_mouth: And guess what, they’ll then get a few more Newbies on in the NewYear and tell them the same lie… :laughing:

But don’t feel bad about it pal, you’ve used them just as much as they’ve used you! :grimacing:
You’ve 3 months experience now, and you’re no longer a zero experience. You’ve a foot in the door, and the door is more ajar than when you were a fresh pass.You should hopefully have learnt a lot about the dimensions of your truck now, as well as general driving on the road and setting yourself up for a reverse. Damage should reduce with experience, and you know now not to trust a banksman as they are often not drivers, and even then some are screwdrivers and don’t stay in the mirrors… :unamused: So you’ve learnt to check yourself and minimise your trust or reliance on a banksman as much as possible… :wink:

Great that you’ve something else lined up and be positive mate, it wasn’t you or what you did if 2 others went yesterday…
Now you get to start brand now somewhere else, and try to avoid the nickname “Bandicoot” :grimacing:
(You probably won’t get that Juddian! :smiley:)

thanks buddy your reply means a whole lot to me.

P/S yes it was pallets, :slight_smile: company ends in ways haha a little heads up incase anyone is thinking of joining them… money is good though at 10 pound

makes me laugh the office manager who actually employed me was not there on the day i get sacked/let g,o wonder if he was worried he may get some stick from the people he promised long term jobs to■■?

your definitely right with the using comment it was 100% a 2 way thing… I’m just VERY thankful i was able to get a job lined up only the day before… maybe i could see it coming more then i realized… or maybe it was just a ■■■■ job i dunno lol

Juddian:
Arrgh, thats the trouble with t’internet, you can’t get physically get hold of some bugger to throttle 'em… :wink: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Juddian:
As for sickies, no i’m not a hypocrit, i’ve never taken a days sick, period…and yes i’m off to the tattoist cos MUG, spelled with only the U being the only common letter :bulb: , is starting to fade and only the senior planner can see it at present :unamused:

I’m also not one for later having to blag what was wrong with me, I’ll go in pass out in front of them…
Probably face planting into the desk or floor! :open_mouth:

Juddian:

Here’s 2 and a half minutes of your life you won’t get back! :smiley:
youtube.com/watch?v=_9duLa-mixQ

Ergot2005:
thanks buddy your reply means a whole lot to me.

P/S yes it was pallets, :slight_smile: company ends in ways haha a little heads up incase anyone is thinking of joining them… money is good though at 10 pound

makes me laugh the office manager who actually employed me was not there on the day i get sacked/let g,o wonder if he was worried he may get some stick from the people he promised long term jobs to■■?

your definitely right with the using comment it was 100% a 2 way thing… I’m just VERY thankful i was able to get a job lined up only the day before… maybe i could see it coming more then i realized… or maybe it was just a [zb] job i dunno lol

You’re welcome Crash :wink:, and I hope things turn out better in your new gig, which they should as you know more now…

Evil8Beezle:

Juddian:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Juddian:

I’m also not one for later having to blag what was wrong with me, I’ll go in pass out in front of them…
Probably face planting into the desk or floor! :open_mouth:

Juddian:

Here’s 2 and a half minutes of your life you won’t get back! :smiley:
youtube.com/watch?v=_9duLa-mixQ

Er yes, thankyou, i think.

However interestingly those cubes our hero kicks three bells out of are identical to Zelda’s cubes (robot soldiers, the alternative to Zeroids) in Terrahawks, a Gerry Anderson puppet creation that followed on but many years later from Thunderbirds.
No you must have seen Terrahawks, i am a great fan and yes i have them all on DVD :blush: , the humour in them is subtle, non PC, and aimed at older kids, like us, definately wasn’t aimed at young kids the humour of which would have passed them by and wouldn’t get past the censors now in case it made kids laugh in all the wrong places :sunglasses:

If you haven’t seen Terrahawks, have a poke nose on that their Youtube, the second or possibly third series when Boygle, the schizophrenic unisex android is born to Sista, who is Zelda’s daughter, yes they are all androids :laughing: , is superb.
Boygle splits between a a classic little English girl all sweetness and light, and a stage German android version of Herr Flick of the gestapo, who came up with stuff like this i do not know, but employing the late Windsor Davies to voice over Sgt Major Zero (the leader of the Zeroids) was utter genius.
Youngstar, the half wit uncle to Boygle is a star in his own right

Try it, beware it can be addictive it could never be shown again on our normal telly, the snowflakes would be swooning in the streets :grimacing:

‘‘exactry’’, as Hero would say, you’ll have to watch it to find out how unPC that was. :wink:

I just googled Terrahawks and bugger me I remember that, but at 12, it clearly went over my head at the time. I also don’t recall Windsor Davies from it, and I’m a big fan of his work. I even watched Never the Twain at the time just because he was in it! :laughing:

Yes I’ll definitely have a look at that, as at the time of its airing, I was clearly playing with an Acorn Electron! :open_mouth:
Nope, no clues on what that was… :smiley: