Sacked cos of face book

We’ve all just received a letter from head office regarding social media,which in effect says that slagging off the company or individuals therein will result in a trip to the local jobcentre :exclamation:
Can’t really argue with that IMO,you don’t bite the hand that feeds/pays you :wink:

if someone posted derogatry comments about a company that i owned or run, then i’d want to know where i was going wrong. good morale makes more profit.
the trouble with large companies is that they employ managers with no business acumen.

There is a actually calarification on the online media laws due soon (see todays news). There will be a lot less chance of anything you put online being able to be taken into account in certain cases

cos the other way of looking at it was at least now everyone else nows what a ■■■■■■ his boss was and wont work for him :bulb:

The only bad thing I can post about where I’m working at the moment is that I’ve had no work all week and been at home.

bobbya:

happysack:

bobbya:

Saaamon:

bobbya:

Saaamon:
Fair play to them for sacking him!

You seem like a nice person,not,!!

You give someone a job, pay them every week, then you hear their calling you a [zb] openly on facebook to all his mates and you’d still keep him on?

So what was he calling him,or don,t you know,we,re all entitled to an opinion even though we might not be liked for it,so until you know what was said don,t make stupid statements.thank you.

So is saaamon not entitled to his opinion? For what it is worth I agree with him.

So you,re both in the wrong.

Kerbdog:
There is a actually calarification on the online media laws due soon (see todays news). There will be a lot less chance of anything you put online being able to be taken into account in certain cases

This ^

1984… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

helmik:
You represent your company/employer even when youre not on duty. If you choose to slate your boss or your company off and name them then it becomes gross misconduct as it puts the employer in a bad light. I am under the impression there have been many other examples of this and tribunals have agreed with the employers.

Just my ten pence worth,

mick

What he said ^^^^^^^^

There have been a few instances at my work where people have been sacked because of what’s been said on Facebook/YouTube. Even if you are off duty you need to be careful what you say about the company you work for. It does go down as gross misconduct, you won’t have a leg to stand on.

Anyone got a link the the news article about the media law change thingy?

Fallmonk:
What happened to “free speech?”
Personally I think it’s stupid to write comments about your boss on a open forum / FB unless your prepared to say it to there face .
But at the same point you should be able to say what you want .

Say what you want by all means but accept the consequences as well. As an example if I were to say something about my boss or company that was true but uncomfortable for them and had evidence to prove the point then yes. Say something about my boss or company that was a lie and damaged the company then I would expect to face the response it provokes.

Likewise your employer/client/customer may have information which it requires to be kept confidential. If it were made public then the person revealing that information may well find themselves facing a gross misconduct accusation and dismissal, as a punishment, if found guilty.

What i dont understand is how can the company prove he wrote the comments, he could have said he left the phone unattended and somebody else accessed it? Personally, id be seeking advice.

I have very mixed feeling on this. I’m a firm believer in free speech but sometimes people do or say very reckless things that can be extemely harmfull. The company I’m at in Canada had to sack a driver from the UK a year or so ago because he’d posted on facebook that he’d just got behind the wheel of his truck and was heading off down the road after x pints of beer but that he’d need to stop and relieve himself soon etc and he was steaming drunk. Neither of our bosses are on FB but they got a call from a friend who was. Apparently his status was totally public as my boss accessed the post through his daughters account, who was not a friend of said driver. This added together with him constantly being late due to drink/hang overs and his attitude towards customers (calling someone the C word because they wouldn’t tip him until the next day when he turned up several hours late) meant that he was too much of a liability and had to go. I’ve met the offending “driver” before and it amazes me that such pond life ever figured out how to book a flight out of the UK, let alone move continents!

I dont go online slagging off the company I work for, I’m usually in the office telling them face to face!

So does this mean if I wrote negative comments about my boss I would have to fire myself?

This could be interesting then!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Second time I’ve heard this kinda story this week. My cousin is a driver and he has a friend who was having a bad day, Rit a status venting his anger at his company that day, he got up to the north east to make his delivery, only for someone from work to show the boss the status he writ, the company made him walk there an then and to make his own way back home from the north east to Merseyside!

Anchorhandler:
From a technical point of view, i would be interested to hear on what grounds they sacked him…

I didnt think you could just sack someone because what they are doing in their own time displeases or offends you…was he FB’ing during working hours?

You hear about this more and more but i bet a lot of case’s wouldnt stand up in an industrial tribunal.

Simon

If he started before April and had been there for less than 12 months they could get rid of him without any reason. If he started from April onwards they could get rid of him without any reason in the first 2 years.

Kevwall:
Second time I’ve heard this kinda story this week. My cousin is a driver and he has a friend who was having a bad day, Rit a status venting his anger at his company that day, he got up to the north east to make his delivery, only for someone from work to show the boss the status he writ, the company made him walk there an then and to make his own way back home from the north east to Merseyside!

Needs to find a good employment lawyer. They have to give notice unless it is classed as gross misconduct in his contract but even then they can’t dismiss you on the spot without a meeting involving the manager and another representative. They also had a duty of care to the employee so had to arrange to get him back to his home depot.

Field day comes to mind.

Fallmonk:
What happened to “free speech?”

We have never had it in the UK. Its not in any statutes and never has been.

Baggie:
We’ve all just received a letter from head office regarding social media,which in effect says that slagging off the company or individuals therein will result in a trip to the local jobcentre :exclamation:
:

They can’t do that without altering your contract of employment which can only be done with your agreement.

Conor:

Baggie:
:

They can’t do that without altering your contract of employment which can only be done with your agreement.

Wrong, your contract of employment can be changed at any time but you must be given 90 days notification of any changes in writing by your employer whether YOU agree to the changes or not. If a union is in place then these changes can be negotiated over but the end result is usually the same :laughing:

2 facebook accounts.
A slightly hidden one with profile pic linked to a work email address.
My usual one of 8 years, on my personal email, completely hidden.