Russian Roulette

DEANB:

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
Another very interesting article Dean. You certainly have a great collection. It was so that people can share these sort of items that I started the thread. To spread information about what the work was like and how truckers got on out there. Thanks for putting these articles up.

Yes Dan. A magnum out East. Actually there was a Magnum being run by Desotra, that used to get out to Moscow.
Desotra, were a German subsidiary of Sovtransavto. Just as Nesotra were the Dutch one.
Nesotra used Holtima as their haulier and there are pictures of Nesotra/Holtima trucks earlier in the thread, put on by Patrick.

But there were four trucks on for Desotra. The strange thing being that the four guys who drove them came from different parts of the old West Germany. My best mate among them was Hansi, who came from Hannover. The other lads came from Stuttgart, Munich and from the Ruhr.
One of them drove a magnum.
One morning at the Minsk motel, it was around -20C and the Magnum would not start. I pulled alongside him and gave him a jump start.I had not realised that the batteries slid out, on a sort of tray, on the Magnum. But, as they say, you learn something new every day. LOL. :unamused:

Mick, you should find a thread i did a while back called Russia/middle east/other unusual destinations. That
had some rare and intresting stuff on it.Click on pages twice to read.

Part 2.

Thanks for the scanned article DeanB. Great reading. I found your other thread “Russia/middle east/other unusual destinations”. Here is the link for it: Russia/middle east/other unusual destinations - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK.

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
Oh yes. Another piece of that great article Dean. Thanks for adding it.

I did not know Asia Tom, as far as I know. The article appeared around 1998/9 by the look of it. So, it could be that he was not doing Russia before I finished there in 1995. A shame really as he would have been an interesting guy to meet. I wonder whether Jeff knew him.

I will look up your old thread Dean, because I am sure that it will prove very interesting, if the articles that you have put up are anything to go by.

Mick

Hello Mick, I wonder what Asia Tom is up to now ,he certainly liked to get about ! :wink:

jsutherland:

DEANB:

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
Another very interesting article Dean. You certainly have a great collection. It was so that people can share these sort of items that I started the thread. To spread information about what the work was like and how truckers got on out there. Thanks for putting these articles up.

Yes Dan. A magnum out East. Actually there was a Magnum being run by Desotra, that used to get out to Moscow.
Desotra, were a German subsidiary of Sovtransavto. Just as Nesotra were the Dutch one.
Nesotra used Holtima as their haulier and there are pictures of Nesotra/Holtima trucks earlier in the thread, put on by Patrick.

But there were four trucks on for Desotra. The strange thing being that the four guys who drove them came from different parts of the old West Germany. My best mate among them was Hansi, who came from Hannover. The other lads came from Stuttgart, Munich and from the Ruhr.
One of them drove a magnum.
One morning at the Minsk motel, it was around -20C and the Magnum would not start. I pulled alongside him and gave him a jump start.I had not realised that the batteries slid out, on a sort of tray, on the Magnum. But, as they say, you learn something new every day. LOL. :unamused:

Mick, you should find a thread i did a while back called Russia/middle east/other unusual destinations. That
had some rare and intresting stuff on it.Click on pages twice to read.

Part 2.

Thanks for the scanned article DeanB. Great reading. I found your other thread “Russia/middle east/other unusual destinations”. Here is the link for it: Russia/middle east/other unusual destinations - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK.

Thanks Johnny ! :sunglasses:

The Atkinson that Fransens used on the Russia run must have been a reliable bit of kit !

Hi Patrick.
I was thinking about something that you were saying earlier in the thread about a driver on Van Amerongen.
Was the guy that you were thinking about called Geis?
If so, I knew him and ran many times with him in Russia.

And yes Dean That Ackie must have been good.

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
Hi Patrick.
I was thinking about something that you were saying earlier in the thread about a driver on Van Amerongen.
Was the guy that you were thinking about called Geis?
If so, I knew him and ran many times with him in Russia.

And yes Dean That Ackie must have been good.

Ey up mate!

Aye, Gijs, that’s him, older lad (was already old back then as well :wink: ) drove a DAF 2800 if I’m not mistaken, usually coupled to a trailer with NeSoTra written on the tilt. Far as I know, Gijs passed away some years ago, lost the battle with the big C…
Will see if I can dig up some pic’s.

Cheers, Patrick

Found it!

pv83:
Found it!

Nice looking set up, old school! :wink:

Can’t wait to get hold of the book. I did back to back Ukraine in 97/98. Started with Poltava and a couple to the Kiev airport this was quite a tidy little run compared to the Bulgaria and Baku that I had been doing the previous year. Things got a bit exciting just before Xmas 97 when we took some ploughs to a village southeast of Donetsk. Not knowing what to expect between Donetsk and our destination we decided to park up in Donetsk as it was dark. As we drove in to the tir parking I couldn’t help notice that all the other trucks were local and it seemed that the drivers just parked them and went home . The guard seemed friendly and locked the gate so it all felt secure. Once parked up my mate Adam coked us a meal and we started to put a dent in our stash of primus beer bought at the total in zeebrge. Also with us on This trip was a girl that was working as a nanny for the boss. Knock knock and no it wasn’t your normal cab knocker it was the guard. He wanted to no what we were loaded with when we told him or tried to tell him he said they might be for him. He then told him we need to bring the paper work to the office. No way we’re we going to give him any thing so we turned up to the office empty handed.things started to get heated and next thing he’s got a pistol on the desk go get the documents. Back at the trucks we made the decision to grab our pastports and money and clear out. We scaled the fence and took off down a railway and spent one of the coldest nights ever.

Well come on Hamish you can’t leave it there as we are all on the edge of our seats. So please get typing and tell us what happened next. :open_mouth:

Jelliot:
Well that’s my Sunday morning rant over and I’ve just watched Spaghetti no Junction on Ferdy Top Run’s site… I used to run with AR GS… sometimes … &(^R^%#@$^& for want of a better word… "I like to stop and do a bit of fishing " said Pat … Not when I was with him he didn’t… Heathrow straight to Borg… 3 hours off then right down to Napoli… Ahhhh the good old days…

Jeff…

Watched the same video a week or so back & was going to post a comment along the same lines as I also drove with Pat on another outfit for a few years, and as you say it was crack on to Macon at least !

Very interesting thread / read and I can remember talking to a driver in Aosta around 1976 who was saying that you need to specialize as things were changing & in his opinion Russia was the route to take.

Kicked it all into touch a few years later & went to work for a UK blue chip company/refinery but did spend 3 months working at the Olympic park in Sochi that was quite interesting

Hamishc1:
Can’t wait to get hold of the book. I did back to back Ukraine in 97/98. Started with Poltava and a couple to the Kiev airport this was quite a tidy little run compared to the Bulgaria and Baku that I had been doing the previous year. Things got a bit exciting just before Xmas 97 when we took some ploughs to a village southeast of Donetsk. Not knowing what to expect between Donetsk and our destination we decided to park up in Donetsk as it was dark. As we drove in to the tir parking I couldn’t help notice that all the other trucks were local and it seemed that the drivers just parked them and went home . The guard seemed friendly and locked the gate so it all felt secure. Once parked up my mate Adam coked us a meal and we started to put a dent in our stash of primus beer bought at the total in zeebrge. Also with us on This trip was a girl that was working as a nanny for the boss. Knock knock and no it wasn’t your normal cab knocker it was the guard. He wanted to no what we were loaded with when we told him or tried to tell him he said they might be for him. He then told him we need to bring the paper work to the office. No way we’re we going to give him any thing so we turned up to the office empty handed.things started to get heated and next thing he’s got a pistol on the desk go get the documents. Back at the trucks we made the decision to grab our pastports and money and clear out. We scaled the fence and took off down a railway and spent one of the coldest nights ever.

Hamishc1, can’t wait for part 2. I am sitting in suspense here.

Sent from my Hol-U19 using Tapatalk

When it got light we made our way back to were we could see the parking the locals were all coming and going so we decided one of us should slip in and get our truck while the other to wated out side In case it turned to crap again. Bad luck for Adam as his old f reg Daf was blocking mine in so he drew the short straw. Worst luck it took him a few minutes and a lot of smoke to build up air . At the same time his brakes released the guard noticed what was going on and made a mad dash to shut the gates. To late like a movie scene the old daf charged threw. We all jumped in and went down the road and made a brew and warmed up. Now it was my turn I slipped back up the railway and over the fence . My m reg space cab daf held its air so it was just a matter of starting up and driving it like I had stolen it. A couple of hours later we had cleared customs and unloaded.this was a record for ukrain as I had waited up to 10 days to clear before. A woman at the place we unloaded spoke very good English and was shocked to hear of our in counter. This is when we meet melnik .the boss. He wanted to no what and where it all happened. Any problems you tell them you here for me Melnik any body bandits or policemen. After that any wear with in 100 miles of donesk we would mention his name when getting hassled by the police and the would just pat us on the back and wave us our merry way. On the next trip the parking had been closed down I suspect Melnik had something to do with this.

Hamishc1:
When it got light we made our way back to were we could see the parking the locals were all coming and going so we decided one of us should slip in and get our truck while the other to wated out side In case it turned to crap again. Bad luck for Adam as his old f reg Daf was blocking mine in so he drew the short straw. Worst luck it took him a few minutes and a lot of smoke to build up air . At the same time his brakes released the guard noticed what was going on and made a mad dash to shut the gates. To late like a movie scene the old daf charged threw. We all jumped in and went down the road and made a brew and warmed up. Now it was my turn I slipped back up the railway and over the fence . My m reg space cab daf held its air so it was just a matter of starting up and driving it like I had stolen it. A couple of hours later we had cleared customs and unloaded.this was a record for ukrain as I had waited up to 10 days to clear before. A woman at the place we unloaded spoke very good English and was shocked to hear of our in counter. This is when we meet melnik .the boss. He wanted to no what and where it all happened. Any problems you tell them you here for me Melnik any body bandits or policemen. After that any wear with in 100 miles of donesk we would mention his name when getting hassled by the police and the would just pat us on the back and wave us our merry way. On the next trip the parking had been closed down I suspect Melnik had something to do with this.

Thanks for putting us out of our suspense.
I am sure this was no isolated case and that you have had a few more “adventures” over the years.
Regards
Johnny

jsutherland:

Hamishc1:

Thanks for putting us out of our suspense.
I am sure this was no isolated case and that you have had a few more “adventures” over the years.
Regards
Johnny

Close shave that was eh :wink:

Some more pic’s then…

Anyone fancy a go…? :unamused: :laughing:

pv83:
Anyone fancy a go…? :unamused: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: More fun in the winter!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Hamishc1:

:smiley: Great story and don’t take it with a pinch of salt lads - I believe every word of it: 20 years ago I ran with this (then) very young New Zealander to Baku in Azerbaizhan. He was a natural born long-haul trucker through and through: good driver, resourceful, fearless, brave, technically savvi and with a superb sense of humour. You just don’t see 'em like this any more! If you’ve got any more tales and pics, Hamish, bring 'em on old mate! Robert

:exclamation: v

Hamishc1:

Great story Hamishc! I bet you have alot more to tell :smiley:
Was this your DAF by any chance?

Danne

A terrific story Hamish and some more interesting photo’s Patrick.

Seems like they have tarmacced the fuel stops since I was there. They just used to be a large area of dirt and mud.
Then, in the winter, a huge sheet of ice and compressed snow. :unamused:

Yes that is my very dirty truck. I have a few photos but don’t seem to be able to share them on this site.