Russian Roulette

Vodka Cola Cowboy:

DEANB:
This article may be of intrest ?

(Click on pages twice to magnify to read.)

Hi DEANB.
Thanks for putting the article on here. It is really interesting.
The Kamaz was a workhorse that you saw all over the USSR. The tractor units were 4 x 2, or 6 x 4. They also produced 6 x 4 rigids.
The tractor units used on long distance internal haulage had one bunk but were usually double manned. The drivers took it in turn to sleep on the bunk.

Russian stuff always looks pretty basic from what i have seen ,re trucks,cars etc. However it appears to be
pretty reliable and tough.

Patrick you have posted some intresting stuff on here ! :smiley: The last lot of pics you put up reminded me of a
small article about winter survival.

Click on pages twice to read.

tiptop495:
Hey, still always very interesting, now I 'm getting dreams of moving off for Wladiwostok :smiley: :smiley: hopefully after tipping a call for a return load somewhere in Japan. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Eric,

Easy with the Jupiler there mate :laughing:
And keep on dreaming… :wink:

Interesting article once again Dean!
Much easier to read about those conditions whilst sitting on me balcony in the sun with some cold refreshments at hand… :wink:

New livery of sovato.Saw this two on the E20 westbound around Södertälje.

Danne

Some more brilliant pictures there Patrick. The guy beside the road with the green Lada is selling oil and honey. The picture with the filling station is interesting. I went down there, to Krasnodar, which is signed to the right alongside Sochi and Novorossisk on the M4. But that filling station was not there. If there was one it would have been an old brick hut in a sea of mud, with ancient pumps.
But yes. The road surfaces haven’t changed much at all.

That snow would be called “DEEP”, I reckon Patrick.
Keep on giving us these fantastic photos.

Mick

Yes. Another interesting article Dean.
Thanks for that mate.

Mick

Dirty Dan:
New livery of sovato.Saw this two on the E20 westbound around Södertälje.

Danne

They do like to keep changing their livery Danne. But they always keep the “S” with the arrows.

Anybody who looks back through this thread will see the different colour schemes and markings that Sovtrans have used going back to the 60’s.

Mick

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
Thanks for that mate.

Mick

Heres another one Mick .(Click on pages twice to read.)

Ah Ricken! I have worked with him some years ago a real character is! And still drive to Estonia every week but not as an O/D any more but still he loves his trips to the east. Back then he was one of few who had permit to drive to Sovjet.

Danne

DEANB:

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
Thanks for that mate.

Mick

Heres another one Mick .(Click on pages twice to read.)

Hi Dean. Yes. Once again a terrific article. The town of Kalinin, where Ricken was running down to with the batteries, has been renamed Tver. This followed the collapse of the Soviet Union, when places named after Bolshevik leaders were renamed. In Moscow, the street named Kalinin was changed to Novi Arbat. Ulitsa Gorky, named after another Soviet leader was changed to Tverskaya.

This is a good article.

Diorama of 1:87 scale trucks spotted at Gaydon this weekend. Notice the Kepstowe trailer hauled by a DAF. Robert

It sure looks lik Jamies Daf dosent? Any way great looking diorama!

Danne

ERF-NGC-European:
Diorama of 1:87 scale trucks spotted at Gaydon this weekend. Notice the Kepstowe trailer hauled by a DAF. Robert

Yes it certainly is my old Daf 3300 coupled up to one of Kepstowe’s trailers. I did not know that someone had made a model of it. Well done. Regards Jamie.

DEANB:
This is a good article.

Another interesting article Dean. Thanks for putting this one up. It highlights the weather conditions that you experience out there and there affect upo operations.

Mick

Mick, I seem to remember Asia Tom being mentioned on here. Heres part 1 of an intresting trip.
Will post part 2 tomorrow.

Click on pages twice to magnify for reading.

Ah asia tom that one great LLD!
But a Magnum so far east? :open_mouth: well never had one but heard they were good on big europanroads and not gravelroads out east,but what do iknow.

Another very interesting article Dean. You certainly have a great collection. It was so that people can share these sort of items that I started the thread. To spread information about what the work was like and how truckers got on out there. Thanks for putting these articles up.

Yes Dan. A magnum out East. Actually there was a Magnum being run by Desotra, that used to get out to Moscow.
Desotra, were a German subsidiary of Sovtransavto. Just as Nesotra were the Dutch one.
Nesotra used Holtima as their haulier and there are pictures of Nesotra/Holtima trucks earlier in the thread, put on by Patrick.

But there were four trucks on for Desotra. The strange thing being that the four guys who drove them came from different parts of the old West Germany. My best mate among them was Hansi, who came from Hannover. The other lads came from Stuttgart, Munich and from the Ruhr.
One of them drove a magnum.
One morning at the Minsk motel, it was around -20C and the Magnum would not start. I pulled alongside him and gave him a jump start.I had not realised that the batteries slid out, on a sort of tray, on the Magnum. But, as they say, you learn something new every day. LOL. :unamused:

Vodka Cola Cowboy:
Another very interesting article Dean. You certainly have a great collection. It was so that people can share these sort of items that I started the thread. To spread information about what the work was like and how truckers got on out there. Thanks for putting these articles up.

Yes Dan. A magnum out East. Actually there was a Magnum being run by Desotra, that used to get out to Moscow.
Desotra, were a German subsidiary of Sovtransavto. Just as Nesotra were the Dutch one.
Nesotra used Holtima as their haulier and there are pictures of Nesotra/Holtima trucks earlier in the thread, put on by Patrick.

But there were four trucks on for Desotra. The strange thing being that the four guys who drove them came from different parts of the old West Germany. My best mate among them was Hansi, who came from Hannover. The other lads came from Stuttgart, Munich and from the Ruhr.
One of them drove a magnum.
One morning at the Minsk motel, it was around -20C and the Magnum would not start. I pulled alongside him and gave him a jump start.I had not realised that the batteries slid out, on a sort of tray, on the Magnum. But, as they say, you learn something new every day. LOL. :unamused:

Mick, you should find a thread i did a while back called Russia/middle east/other unusual destinations. That
had some rare and intresting stuff on it.Click on pages twice to read.

Part 2.

Oh yes. Another piece of that great article Dean. Thanks for adding it.

I did not know Asia Tom, as far as I know. The article appeared around 1998/9 by the look of it. So, it could be that he was not doing Russia before I finished there in 1995. A shame really as he would have been an interesting guy to meet. I wonder whether Jeff knew him.

I will look up your old thread Dean, because I am sure that it will prove very interesting, if the articles that you have put up are anything to go by.

Mick