Running out of fuel

What is it with the current trend for running out of fuel on the motorway? Almost everyday there are breakdowns in roadworks and so many of these seem to be fuel related, certainly if you believe the stats shown on the side of the M60. Seeing people at the side of the road walking with a Jerry can now quite a common sight.

Why are people so stupid?

In my opinion, the ‘free recovery’ in roadworks should become chargeable & expensive in such cases.

The AA even have dedicated vans for it now. The vans say fuel assist on them.

I’ve started seeing matrix signs on the M25 saying “check your fuel level” and wondered why this had started appearing miles from any roadworks or tunnels. Perhaps it’s because fuel prices are rising again and people are taking chances and driving longer to get to where it’s cheap (e.g., a supermarket) rather than filling up at the first opportunity. But the warnings are often a long way before any service station (even if there are filling stations just off the motorway, but these aren’t signposted).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merc0447:

I think they are for people who put the wrong fuel in.

kr79:

merc0447:

Thats exactly what they are for

rob22888:
What is it with the current trend for running out of fuel on the motorway? Almost everyday there are breakdowns in roadworks and so many of these seem to be fuel related, certainly if you believe the stats shown on the side of the M60. Seeing people at the side of the road walking with a Jerry can now quite a common sight.

Why are people so stupid?

In my opinion, the ‘free recovery’ in roadworks should become chargeable & expensive in such cases.
[/quote]

You know that free recovery thing only means they drag u away from their roadworks and dump you in the next suitable place

nedflanders:

kr79:

merc0447:

Perhaps they should be rebranded as “■■■■■■ assist”?
I don’t pick up hitchikers but I’m even more anti giving lifts to morons carrying fuel cans. I’m sure a lot drive around with the fuel light on, searching for the cheapest petrol.
I know someone who only half fills their petrol tank, to save on weight this saving fuel. They can’t comprehend my reasoning that surely filling it up saves less trips to the garage?

In Freddie’s Britain, people who run out of fuel would be shot.

F-reds:
In Freddie’s Britain, people who run out of fuel would be shot.

In Dippers world they would be raped first, and maybe again afterwards! :open_mouth:

You can’t beat a game of fuel light bingo.

Muckaway:

nedflanders:

kr79:

merc0447:

Perhaps they should be rebranded as “■■■■■■ assist”?
I don’t pick up hitchikers but I’m even more anti giving lifts to morons carrying fuel cans. I’m sure a lot drive around with the fuel light on, searching for the cheapest petrol.
I know someone who only half fills their petrol tank, to save on weight this saving fuel. They can’t comprehend my reasoning that surely filling it up saves less trips to the garage?

Depends on the location of the garage, surely? I drive past (i.e. within a dozen yards of their entrance) a few garages on my regular run to & from work. I drive past (i.e. across the entrance of) one filling station almost every time I use my car. I don’t understand the concept of “a trip to the garage” as I’m already there every time I use the bloody car!

eagerbeaver:

Imagine how good you’d feel if you avoided death too? Vote Freddie at your next election I tell ya! :wink:

I have stared death in the face many times mate. Did I not tell you about the time back in the day when I was in the SAS? I needed to get back to the UK sharpish, avoided capture across Europe (been on pink ops), and just missed a ferry at Zeebrugge.
Luckily for me I was also in the SBS as well, and served with a fella called Albion who had taught me advanced channel swimming so I jumped in the water and off I went.

I remember doing front crawl around 25 knots or so, and seeing DieselDog go past me like a rocket with Immigrant sat on his back reading a book. ( Think it was something to do with fraud).

And there was the time where I got involved in a thread about leaving Europe. Word got round to me that a fella called Carryfast had not bored anyone to death for around 24 hours, and was looking to target lorry drivers who earned around £37k last year.

I managed to convince him that my name was Woodpecker, and that I had known Thatcher personally. RIP Woody.

Genius. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

eagerbeaver:

Have you ever lost the game in a wagon …and had to make the call of shame to the planners/TM ?

No. It’s not an issue. I will tell you why.

When I used to run to China, I met a guy in Bulgaria. Think his name was Dolph. Anyway, he showed me how to make a diesel substitute out of vodka and bull crap.

3 wheeler:

eagerbeaver:

Have you ever lost the game in a wagon …and had to make the call of shame to the planners/TM ?

Yes, but in my defence I lasted 3 months without a working fuel guage until it ran out. Used to have to stick a torch in the filler, kick the tank for the noise and see the fluid move in the tank and guess if it would make the trip. Or maybe stick a cane in it to assess the depth :laughing: :laughing:

what ever :unamused:

mrginge:

3 wheeler:

eagerbeaver:

Yes, but in my defence I lasted 3 months without a working fuel guage until it ran out. Used to have to stick a torch in the filler, kick the tank for the noise and see the fluid move in the tank and guess if it would make the trip. Or maybe stick a cane in it to assess the depth :laughing: :laughing:

I think Smiths of Gloucester should do DCPC courses. :laughing:

I seem to remember reading years ago that it was an offence to run out of fuel on a motorway?? Could be RDC I’m not sure but I recall something along the lines of!