Running in sat .

Mate who’s mon- fri ended up 45 mins short of yard fri night,so had night out and ran in sat morning ,he was then asked to go out and do a run which he refused too do,his reasoning being he’s a mon- fri driver not a Saturday driver,being as he ran in Saturday they have too pay him £150 ( sat pay) so why should he go out and do 13/14/15 hrs for his £150 when he can do 45 mins( + 30 mins getting his gear out of truck).
His boss is not happy ,paying him £150 for 45 mins work ,so wanted him too go back out .
My mate said if he did it once they’d have him doing it every week( going out on a Saturday ,so it will teach them a lesson too get him back Friday night .
I’ve had this a few times over the years and said I’d go out and do a local,which is what I got,5/6/8 hrs then home.
I suggested this as a compromise too my mate ,and he said no, they need teaching a lesson ,I’m mon- fri so should plan me too do mon- fri not run out of hours on a Friday .
What would you do in these circumstances :question:

Exactly the same as when I was well and truly stitched up on a run to Liverpool, ran out of time due to ■■■■ poor organisation and a previous breakdown.

I tried to get accommodation, nothing available so got about 3 or 4 hours sleep in the summers heat with no gear in a ■■■■ filthy unit with no A/C.

After much argument with agency, a suitable “Re-numeration Offer” was made to stop me from finding my own way back home.

I got back to the yard and asked if I could do a “Quick Run”… I did, it was across the yard to the car park!

Hi Mick :laughing:

I dont think its unreasonable for the boss to expect a days work for a days pay, From bosses point of view drivers could drag their heels during week to get a saturday pay,
I am sure there is many new/unemployed drivers that would jump at the chance of a job with the occasional saturday, Its not as though they expected your mate to work for nothing.

Just my opinion and tin hat is at the ready

SteveWalsh:
I dont think its unreasonable for the boss to expect a days work for a days pay, From bosses point of view drivers could drag their heels during week to get a saturday pay,
I am sure there is many new/unemployed drivers that would jump at the chance of a job with the occasional saturday, Its not as though they expected your mate to work for nothing.

No tin hat needed from me. Well said …
I do 4 on 4 off an regularly run in on my 5th shift for about £50.
I just get on with what I have to do.no point complaining. I’m sure there are plenty ready.to step into my shoes if I wasn’t happy

dozy:
Mate who’s mon- fri ended up 45 mins short of yard fri night,so had night out and ran in sat morning ,he was then asked to go out and do a run which he refused too do,his reasoning being he’s a mon- fri driver not a Saturday driver,being as he ran in Saturday they have too pay him £150 ( sat pay) so why should he go out and do 13/14/15 hrs for his £150 when he can do 45 mins( + 30 mins getting his gear out of truck).
His boss is not happy ,paying him £150 for 45 mins work ,so wanted him too go back out .
My mate said if he did it once they’d have him doing it every week( going out on a Saturday ,so it will teach them a lesson too get him back Friday night .
I’ve had this a few times over the years and said I’d go out and do a local,which is what I got,5/6/8 hrs then home.
I suggested this as a compromise too my mate ,and he said no, they need teaching a lesson ,I’m mon- fri so should plan me too do mon- fri not run out of hours on a Friday .
What would you do in these circumstances :question:

■■■■ sure most Companies would expect a Driver to work a full shift if thats what he`s getting paid for.

With your mates attitude is there a vacancy and a driver out of a job.
Your mate needs to get real,as delays happen its one of the downfalls of being a Driver

Why didnt company just pay the time it took to get back in up until he clocks off? Why pay a whole day…?

TJ82:
Why didnt company just pay the time it took to get back in up until he clocks off? Why pay a whole day…?

Lots of companies have a minimum hour agreement in place mate, that’s why.

We have a guarantee of 10 hours, if we run in and there’s no work we get sent home and paid the full 10. However, if we run in and refuse a job we only get paid time worked. I think that’s pretty fair tbh as you’ll always get guys “engineering” a Fri night out 40 minutes away then expecting a full days wage.

Ah fair enough if that’s the case for the guy…

SteveWalsh:

There’s a different way of looking at this. By the week the day rate will probably be a lot less. A lot of firms get you for a cheap hourly equivalent because you’re doing 15s on a poor day rate. Sometimes it works out the other way. They have to take the rough with the smooth. It’s there choice to pay for an entire day. They pay daily to suit themselves.

If they paid properly by the hour then this wouldn’t be an issue. A full sat day rate suggests it’s geared towards someone coming in sat and doing a whole day’s work. Perhaps they need to change to hourly rate for running in up to a set amount of hours. It’s not unreasonable for someone living in a tin all week who runs in Sat, giving them 5 nights out and 65 plus hours work, to not wish to do a whole days extra 13 hours work leaving him with just one day at home because their pay structure is all or nothing. It’s like saying “you run out of hours by so much as 10 mins on a Friday then you’ll have to do a full days work the next (off) day or don’t get paid”.

Freight Dog:

SteveWalsh:

There’s a different way of looking at this. By the week the day rate will probably be a lot less. A lot of firms get you for a cheap hourly equivalent because you’re doing 15s on a poor day rate. Sometimes it works out the other way. They have to take the rough with the smooth. It’s there choice to pay for an entire day. They pay daily to suit themselves.

If they paid properly by the hour then this wouldn’t be an issue. A full sat day rate suggests it’s geared towards someone coming in sat and doing a whole day’s work. Perhaps they need to change to hourly rate for running in up to a set amount of hours. It’s not unreasonable for someone living in a tin all week who runs in Sat, giving them 5 nights out and 65 plus hours work, to not wish to do a whole days extra 13 hours work leaving him with just one day at home because their pay structure is all or nothing. It’s like saying “you run out of hours by so much as 10 mins on a Friday then you’ll have to do a full days work the next (off) day or don’t get paid”.

This ^^^^

The answer here is simple.

Pay the driver a decent hourly rate, with an overtime allowance on a weekend, rather than trying to get them to do 15s/13s all week for a ■■■■ poor daily rate that works out at about five and a half quid an hour.

If they can’t plan work to have the driver back on the Friday, (yes, delays happen. So allow something for them instead of maxing out all the time), then they must honour the structure of wages that they decided.

Many drivers won’t park up early :laughing: if it’s not looking likely/ impossible to get home on a friday :sunglasses: Monday 04:00 hours, make sure pull digi before 04:00 hours Saturday! :smiley: not rocket science! :wink: park up at two in afternoon ( as wacky races commences then see! ) :grimacing: nine off and start driving home sharpish! :open_mouth: get card out before 04:00 hours and bingo ( 120 hours and you’ve not worked a sixth shift/ 24 hour period or a Saturday! :unamused: grow some lads :bulb: it’s not hard :question: you’re having the urine EXTRACTED FROM YOU FOR LESS THAN MINIMUM WAGE/ slavery :exclamation:

TJ82:

I think you may find that is what will happen here eventually if people keep taking the pee.

If £150 is the agreement, then strictly speaking the lad was entitled to go home as he might have other things planned, Saturday working is presumably not compulsory.

However i fully expect the agreement will be looked at closely, and will be altered when the wages are agreed next time round.

Personally, i wouldn’t expect to get £150 for an hours work, thats taking the ■■■■, but neither as a non Sat worker would i expect to be given a 13 hour day either, in practice i would have helped them out with a local or some shunting/loading for about 4/6 hours.

We’re lorry drivers, crap happens, if you want to clock on and off at the exact minute every day get a job in a factory.

At least you know who’s partly to blame when either your guaranteed £150 disappears next pay round, or you have to work a minimum 6 hours to get it or, as Moaster above, get paid the hours you actually worked if you don’t want to co-operate.

The guy could have told the boss. I wasn’t expecting to work saturday and have made other plans. So don’t bother paying me the Saturday money because I’ve no intention of working, and it wouldn’t be right for me to expect being paid the whole shift rate for just 45 mins, so just pay me the night out money for Friday night.
He could no doubt re-coup the equivalent £/hr for the 45 mins he worked by stringing t out the following week

as a test of this dilemma, try going into any office and tell a person there that regrettably they will not be allowed to go home this Friday evening and will have to do an hours work on Saturday morning. But not to worry, they will be paid for the extra days work. I guess that nine times out of ten, this proposition will be met with a lack of enthusiasm.

This has happened to me. I do quiet a bit of agency work. Agency/Company booked me for a day run Saturday, run out of time after 15 hours. 10 mins from depot. As they only booked me for Saturday I got a night out paid and 8 hours run in at Sunday rate. And yes I did sleep in my own bed. And yes I did refuse to go out again.

So he wants £150 for an hour on satday morning? Do I need to go on?..

I’d have just told them to keep the Saturday money and gone home.

Then proceeded to look for alternative employment.

Not a cat in hells chance i’d be working a full shift on a Saturday after tramping Mon-Fri. It’s unreasonable, they should have means to pay the driver just for the hours run in, in such circumstances.

You see me personally would have phoned up before I was heading home (ensuring I’ve enough time to get home) and negotiated with them “I can either continue onto my next delivery(s) and run in Saturday and you pay me for the full day and I go home, or I can bring it all back now, I’ll give you 10 minutes to decide otherwise I’m coming home.”

I kind of a agree with him about not going out on another run, but I’d have gave them the option earlier on.

Posts like this make me realise how easy going I am. :smiley: