Running in sat .

switchlogic:
Posts like this make me realise how easy going I am. :smiley:

Tell you what luke if this is the way the jobs gone im glad im long retired.
regards dave.

Tough one this. I dont agree with the driver getting a full days money just for returning the vehicle to the yard.
However, how many posts do you see where drivers are criticised for not sticking up for themselves against employers? The worry with this situation is setting a precident where routes are planned so drivers are running in when they shuuld be back Friday. If a lower rate was paid then the company may still push their luck thinking the extra night out might be worth a couple hours pay and continue to plan for it against the drivers wishes. I think as a one of protest the driver has done the right thing here and shown the company that family time is more important to them.
Next time it should maybe be the approach of NewLad.

Silver_Surfer:
So he wants £150 for an hour on satday morning? Do I need to go on?..

Pat, I dont think he wants the money for an hours work, he’d rather not have done ANY work on the Saturday and not recieved any money.

m1cks:

Silver_Surfer:

Pat, I dont think he wants the money for an hours work, he’d rather not have done ANY work on the Saturday and not recieved any money.

Fair enough so. There just needs to be a re negotiation of terms then. Just as much the gaffers fault to be fair.

Just wait for them to complain when the boss says he aint paying 150 quid for a saturday

scotstrucker:
Just wait for them to complain when the boss says he aint paying 150 quid for a saturday

Agreed.

scotstrucker:

But you’re missing the point. The driver DOESNT want to work the saturday irrespective of the pay but is put in a situation where he is forced to due to poor planning.

m1cks:

scotstrucker:

But you’re missing the point. The driver DOESNT want to work the saturday irrespective of the pay but is put in a situation where he is forced to due to poor planning.

Was it bad planning or delayed by unforeseen circumstances which nobody can plan for.
regards dave.

I think there’s some serious wrong end of stick grabbing going here. I read it that this guy ran in without a problem or complaint - that’s tramping, but he did NOT expect a full days wages for it at all and certainly did not expect to be sent out again with the company using their pay structure as a poor excuse for forced overtime. He just wanted to go home after being out all week after giving probably 65 plus hours without being shanghaied into doing an extra 12/13 hours- from home base.

Thanks all,micks right he doesn’t want too work at all Saturday,no interest in the money for Saturday ,he wants too pack up mid-afternoon Friday .

rob22888:
I’d have just told them to keep the Saturday money and gone home. Then proceeded to look for alternative employment. Not a cat in hells chance i’d be working a full shift on a Saturday after tramping Mon-Fri. It’s unreasonable, they should have means to pay the driver just for the hours run in, in such circumstances.

:laughing: yes it’s unreasonable. :sunglasses: they’re extracting urine :smiley:

m1cks:

scotstrucker:

7 P’s :wink:

Silver_Surfer:

time is precious! :grimacing: if they take the mick :laughing: take it back double! :sunglasses: or £150 AN HOUR :grimacing: please DON’T go on! :smiley:

i only book what i do if i run in its just part of the job sometimes it happens surely you cant expect a full days money for a few hours work be realistic chaps if you work in this game you have to expect it sometimes

bjd:
i only book what i do if i run in its just part of the job sometimes it happens surely you cant expect a full days money for a few hours work be realistic chaps if you work in this game you have to expect it sometimes

Yes. But they set the rules on pay, not the driver. If they’d paid the driver an hourly rate, enhanced at the weekend, the issue would not have arisen. He could have run in, collected his hour or two’s money and gone home.

The reason they pay a fixed £150 for a shift on a Saturday is so they can get a 15 hour day out of a driver and only pay £10/hour, when really it should be at least £10/hour for 8 and £15/hour thereafter making £185…

It’s a case of moving the goal posts to suit them. The driver doesn’t expect them to pay it, THEY say they pay £150 on a Saturday FIXED. So if the hours are less than the fifteen they are hoping to work you for. Tough ■■■■!

After all, how many times do drivers end up doing that bit extra, often for nowt?

Truckulent:
After all, how many times do drivers end up doing that bit extra, often for nowt?

It’s a fair point. I bet if they sat down and worked it all out, the drivers probably owed hours anyway. When it comes to day rates, the gaffer comes out better off most of the time, thats why they have them.

dan dare:
This has happened to me. I do quiet a bit of agency work. Agency/Company booked me for a day run Saturday, run out of time after 15 hours. 10 mins from depot. As they only booked me for Saturday I got a night out paid and 8 hours run in at Sunday rate. And yes I did sleep in my own bed. And yes I did refuse to go out again.

This has happened to me before, luckily I managed to get back to the Stockyard on the Saturday night, then ran into Unilever Doncaster (trailer swop) before returning to the yard near Blyth (2hrs max). So it was a simple case of a few cold beers in the Stockyard bar when I parked up, then up the road to my home (my local mates where in the bar & had a pre-booked taxi) & Sleep in my bed, before returning to the truck the next morning to run in

Im with the driver on this one. It will teach the company a very good lesson!!!

STAND UP FOR YOUR XXXXXXING RIGHTS!!!.

We get £52 to run back in on a Sat morning. Could be 1 hour or 5 hours its fixed at £52.

In two years Ive never ran in on a Sat. Mon to Fri is enough.

Stick to your guns driver.