Runaway Renault

Is this another case of trying to be famous for 15 minutes or was it a genuine failure of the disabled controls?

independent.co.uk/life-style … 94031.html

Remember the Scania driver and the BMW driver in the UK

This one ran out of fuel but he still crashed it into a dyke.

I saw this on the news. I’d like to know whether it was manual. If it was then dip the clutch. Even then, if it wasn’t, then move the gear into neutral. Got to be 15 minutes of fame.

i have a laguna. it has a start stop button rather than a key. if you press it once then press and hold, it will kill the engine, its a safety feature. all the guy had to do was actually bother the read the owners manual.

i call BS on this one.

15 mins of fame into neutral and let it self destruct. An old worn engine will sometimes run wild ( start running off the sump oil ) and the 2 strokes Detroits ect will sometimes do it. The Detroits have an emergency stop which cuts off the air supply effectivly choking the engine ( because even with the fuel turned off they will carry on running) and stopping them. A mate of mine many years ago had an old 2800 Daf and climbing windy hill on the m62 one day she started running wild so he threw her onto the hard shoulder jumped out and ripped the fuel line off it carried on screaming until the enevatable happened, she threw a leg out of bed with an almighty bang. He was a bit pi…d off to say the least as he,d done a trade in deal with the moter against a new one !

norfolk:
15 mins of fame into neutral and let it self destruct. An old worn engine will sometimes run wild ( start running off the sump oil ) and the 2 strokes Detroits ect will sometimes do it. The Detroits have an emergency stop which cuts off the air supply effectivly choking the engine ( because even with the fuel turned off they will carry on running) and stopping them. A mate of mine many years ago had an old 2800 Daf and climbing windy hill on the m62 one day she started running wild so he threw her onto the hard shoulder jumped out and ripped the fuel line off it carried on screaming until the enevatable happened, she threw a leg out of bed with an almighty bang. He was a bit pi…d off to say the least as he,d done a trade in deal with the moter against a new one !

Yes but this is a Renault Laguna car with a petrol engine. I have a keycard on my Renault but if you press the stop button it stops, but as mentioned, knock it out of gear and it will freewheel to a halt a long time before getting to 125mph

I’m still trying to work out where the three peage’s are on the A16. If i remember right there is only one near Bolounge.

Its not a vehicle im familier with but as you say into nutetral and let it coast, even if it is auto you must surely be able to manualy select at least 2 if not 3 gears?

Must be some Laguna if it will do 125mph.

mine will… indicated.

tanasan:
I’m still trying to work out where the three peage’s are on the A16. If i remember right there is only one near Bolounge.

Surely there is another one at the other end ? Cergy pontoise ? :laughing:

my L reg rover 214 reached 135MPH

my legnum (current car) wouldnt manage 100 miles at full pelt (155MPH limited) even on a full tank :laughing:

scanny77:
my L reg rover 214 reached 135kmPH

my legnum (current car) wouldnt manage 100 miles at full pelt (155MPH limited) even on a full tank :laughing:

ftfy :wink:

qwakers:
i have a laguna. it has a start stop button rather than a key. if you press it once then press and hold, it will kill the engine, its a safety feature. all the guy had to do was actually bother the read the owners manual.

i call BS on this one.

At 125mph he was probably too busy to read it :wink:

Still no reason why it couldn’t have been put into neutral !

Does anyone remeber the truck driver who was going down the M1 about 15yrs ago and phones the police and told then his cruise control had stuck on.
He ended up crashing into barriers somewere down nr jct 3-2.
The police couldnt find anything wrong with his truck,i dont know what happened to the driver.

carsurvey.org/reviews/renaul … 01/page-3/

Car is famous for running away, look on the Parker website for more amazing stories.

A mate of me in the trade, if he needs to take them part exchange, he drops the oil level to minimum and send them carefully driven to an auction…

He doesn’t even entertain the thought to sell them, after he had to drive one up an embankment and another the blow the engine before he had time to stop.
After 40 years in the trade that was his most scarry experience, and admitted that the sound and the feeling stop the brain from rational thinking.

TTX boy:
Does anyone remeber the truck driver who was going down the M1 about 15yrs ago and phones the police and told then his cruise control had stuck on.
He ended up crashing into barriers somewere down nr jct 3-2.
The police couldnt find anything wrong with his truck,i dont know what happened to the driver.

A LORRY-DRIVER accused of faking a motorway drama by deliberately allowing his truck to race out of control at 75mph was cleared yesterday of dangerous driving.
Michael Rayner, 27, was initially hailed a hero in May last year when he successfully negotiated packed lanes on the M1 after the accelerator on his 14-wheel tipper truck jammed.

independent.co.uk/news/runaw … 00221.html

Wheel Nut:

scanny77:
my L reg rover 214 reached 135kmPH

ftfy :wink:

it was definately MPH. that was a uk car. the legnum is a converted KPH to MPH import and only shows MPH although the guage goes up to 180 :sunglasses:

i only buy manual cars though so although i have suffered a stuck accelerator a couple of times it hasnt been a problem. dip the clutch and it hits the rev limiter a couple of times and drops back down again

it is a well known problem on clios that the cruise control can be ify and when you select it you cant deselect faulty sensor but most off the time you only find out is when you cant stop and hit summat loads off clio drivers have experiencd it i dont use mine never have

jimboy124:

tanasan:

Surely there is another one at the other end ? Cergy pontoise ? :laughing:

Yes but was he not going in the other direction?
regards dave.