Rubbish you have been told

we all know about myths and tall tales that pass from driver to driver so lets hear them.

1. defected a trailer for fog lights not working. after changing a bulb and deciding it was an electrical fault they said i could take it anyway providing i didnt drive through fog :exclamation:

2. (same customer) i defected a rigid for a side marker hanging by its wires and one not working. the shunter reckons i could have taken it if i kept quiet. its only illegal to take a defective vehicle out if i report the defect first

3. its ok to take out a trailer with up to 25% of the markers not working

My persona favourite is you can’t sit in the drivers seat if you are on a break.

kr79:
My persona favourite is you can’t sit in the drivers seat if you are on a break.

i can top that, a member on here who works for stobarts says its illegal to have the engine running whilst on a break as the tacho records the engine running :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kr79:

LMFAO! :laughing:

Bloke from Fagan & Whalley said the exact same thing to me years ago!

I guess the “Out of hours at a Tesco RDC, red lines around the truck, etc” has to be my particular favourite.

some say you can’t do anything while on break? like clean your mirrors, or put polish on your tank ect :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

even though it states in the vosa book you must be able to freely dispose of your time, which in my book means i can do what i like so long as it ain’t to do with paid work :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

wildfire:
some say you can’t do anything while on break? like clean your mirrors, or put polish on your tank ect :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You can’t.

wildfire:
even though it states in the vosa book you must be able to freely dispose of your time, which in my book means i can do what i like so long as it ain’t to do with paid work :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

It doesn’t say that in the VOSA book regarding break, you are reading the wrong bit. It says that for rest but not for break, they are different with different criteria.

‘break’ means any period during which a driver may not
carry out any driving or any other work and which is
used exclusively for recuperation
‘rest’ means any uninterrupted period during which a
driver may freely dispose of his time;

Coffeeholic:

wildfire:

You can’t.

wildfire:

It doesn’t say that in the VOSA book regarding break, you are reading the wrong bit. It says that for rest but not for break, they are different with different criteria.

‘break’ means any period during which a driver may not
carry out any driving or any other work and which is
used exclusively for recuperation
‘rest’ means any uninterrupted period during which a
driver may freely dispose of his time;

well got pulled by vosa on detling hill about a month ago, actually pulled in the layby half way down the hill and their galaxy pulled infront told m8y i needed break, he said no problem just follow me up hill you can have it there,
pulled in told the guy wheel tapping i needed a break he said ask the chap who was going to check my cards if it was ok, he said no problem so went on break while they check the truck and my cards, had the half hour they had finished after 25 mins and told me i could go when ever i had finished my break. so makes a mockery of it really :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

why didnt you just lock your doors and tell them, sorry im on a break, i will speak to you when im finished my break.?

beattun:
why didnt you just lock your doors and tell them, sorry im on a break, i will speak to you when im finished my break.?

I agree so much with this one.

We went ‘digi’ a couple of years ago and in all the confusion regarding the vu rounding up one of the depot managers insisted that it was illegal to take a break within the first hour of drving. He went on to claim that when finishing your work for the day, before pulling out your digicard you must switch it to rest and have a 45. None of us took any notice and he actually claimed to the TM that the FTA weren’t analysing our data properly when none of us showed any infringements. ■■■■.

beattun:

couldn’t be assed was going to get pulled what ever happened, so better get it over with, just thought i would try my luck about the break and see what happened, let me take it while being checked and with me shaking the wheel for them at the same time, like a say made a mockery of it :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Vosa are not aloud to make you undo your curtains to proove you have internally strapped your load, aslong as they see you have X the back then you are legal, only HMRC are aloud to make you open up, apparently according to a driver that had been driving yearsssssssssss…

A van driver I knew a few years ago claimed that it was illegal to do more than two nights out on the trot as the company have to provide washing facilities. I told him that I thought this might be incorrect, “Nope it’s true a traffic cop told me!”.

wildfire:

Pray tell what VOSA Book are you reading?

Driver Myth Alert

:blush: OOPS, Sorry Neil has done this one already :arrow_right:

1. You can’t have nights out in a cab you can’t stand up in.

2. Scania’s are driven in a considerate manner without their front fog lamps on and not looking like a Christmas tree.

3. A second period of P.O.A before a break is taken is not considered.

4. And the latest one, V.O.S.A have a device that they can plug into your truck which tells them if you left your depot with a defective light or E.B.S fault, and then issue an on the spot fine. Brilliant.

A man in a waiting room told me so it must be true.

welshboyinspain:

kr79:

i can top that, a member on here who works for stobarts says its illegal to have the engine running whilst on a break as the tacho records the engine running :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]

The Mk1 FH12 did actualy mark your disc if the engine was running.
Has ■■■■ all to do with your having a break or not but you could see on the black blocks on the botom of the disc if the engine was running. (think was a VDO or Kienzle tacho)
:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

caledoniandream:

welshboyinspain:

kr79:

[/quote]

Has [zb] all to do with your having a break or not but you could see on the black blocks on the botom of the disc if the engine was running. (think was a VDO or Kienzle tacho)

not everyone’s old enough to remember Mk1 ?FH12’s :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

sort of a transport related one … .someone once told me in all seriousness that milk is moved around the country in a network of underground pipes. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: hmmm wonder what they transport in the back of those black and white cow-coloured trucks then if it ain’t milk? Little did he know he was talking to a dairy farmer’s son! :wink:

welshboyinspain:

caledoniandream:

welshboyinspain:

kr79:

[/quote]

Has [zb] all to do with your having a break or not but you could see on the black blocks on the botom of the disc if the engine was running. (think was a VDO or Kienzle tacho)

not everyone’s old enough to remember Mk1 ?FH12’s :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

lolwut?! 1994-2002 - how old do you think people are on here? :open_mouth:

that driving was a good job to get in to
:cry: