RTC advice needed please

Howdo all.

After being away all week, I’ve just got home to a “Requirement to provide name and adress of driver section 172 road traffic act 1988” letter from the RTC Investigation Unit of Greater Manchester Police. The allegation is that on 09.03.2011, I “drove without due care and attention, failed to stop, and failed to report a collision”. I fully admit to being where it happened but I fully refute driving without due care etc, and I certainly don’t remember hitting anything. (I was turning the artic round in a farmyard at the time and as it was dark, I must have got out of the cab to check behind the trailer a dozen times. If I had hit something, I’d have owned up to it straight away and would have rung the gaffer and the police asap. I have a guilty conscience and have NEVER hidden anything like this!) Thus, I didn’t stop or report it because I didn’t know it had happened :unamused: .

I can’t deny that I might have hit something but I certainly didn’t feel or sense anything was amiss so if I did, it was a genuine accident, if anyone remembers those. The only reason I was there was because the road was closed and I didn’t see any signs to that effect until I drove up to find three huge lumps of concrete blocking the road!! Lesson learnt, don’t turn round in farmyards :exclamation:

All the letter asks me for is to tell them if I was the driver at the time of the alleged incident. I’m just worried about what happens next. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Martyn.

Whether you intend to plead guilty or not you must return the form naming yourself as you were the driver. Failure to do so is an offence in it’s own right.

If it was your own lorry or a car i’d have said no it wasn’t you, you were no where near the place, up to them to prove it then, which they wont as its not worth the hassle. Its whether the gov will back you up though. If you admit to being there, its much easier for them to do you.

I received the same thing for an ‘alleged incident’ quite some years ago. I was in the place at the time and driving the vehicle mentioned but as far as I could recall I hadn’t hit anything. Anyway, I ignored the ‘contact’ note from the police, then ignored the door when they called round a couple of weeks later and then again a few weeks after that. Never heard any more of it.

You may not of hit anything but you may have chewed the drive up whilst turning your truck around