royal mail

Well, it’s that time of year again and royal mail are cranking it up for the workload, agency has asked if i want to go in there (south west, severn beach) for at least 6wks, so the question is has anyone on here done this before spacificaly night trunks, and can you tell me the score, ie, expected pay rates, shift lengths, routes/destinations, etc. any info would be helpfull.

gordo

Why not ask the agency about “the pay rates”
From what i have seen of RM drivers,i wouldnt of thought you need too be of a very high standard .

if your with manpower youll be on a garunteed 40 hours a week, wages are decent so youll make a hefty wage.

Friend of mine works there. Was on with agency for some years then went permanent.

He’s back at work now but had a long time off sick with stress, mainly he said due to the lousy shift patterns.

Artic work is peasy, they never uncouple trailers. Straight out, onto bay tip reload back to base, onto bay. Go home. If you are agency you will get all the longer trunks. I was on at Wakefield Europort and did Guildford, Severn Bridge, Swindon and Glasgow. Take a pillow…

You’ll actually be required to change trailers if you run into Coventry. :smiley:

Do it, it’s a good job with lots of dosh,double or even triple shifted wagons but easy clean work but long hours and unpaid rest periods :cry:
Good cheap canteens though, if they’re open when you’re there :cry:

Pete the post:
Do it, it’s a good job with lots of dosh,double or even triple shifted wagons but easy clean work but long hours and unpaid rest periods :cry:
Good cheap canteens though, if they’re open when you’re there :cry:

Did 2 nights on hire at Park Royal! Didn’t leave the yard both nights only to park up at London Gateway for a day between! Nice canteen and quite overnight in that yard! :laughing:

I understand Manpower have lost the contract supplying PRDC (“park royale”) anymore.

Who won the contract then? :confused:

The optimum shift is 10hr55mins because you only get docked an hour for the break. 11-12 hours you get docked 1hr15mins, and 12hrs plus shift you’ll get docked 90 minutes, which is a bit sharp.

If RM are prepared to use newbies then that could be useful to many

I did some for R.M. about 5 years ago out of Perth and Sighthil in Edinburgh. Therewas a lot of bullzb .You could sleep while earning £17.50 per hour there regulars are Rsoles but once in they stay.I would apply if I were needing work again.

alamcculloch:
I did some for R.M. about 5 years ago out of Perth and Sighthil in Edinburgh. Therewas a lot of bullzb .You could sleep while earning £17.50 per hour there regulars are Rsoles but once in they stay.I would apply if I were needing work again.

was it feus road you worked out of? or inveralmond

If this is agency work, then maybe Manpower lost the contract because every other agency has got it down to the more industry standards of £9-£14ph?

You’d have to be working Christmas Day I would think to get £17.50ph. When FT with RM I never worked a single Christmas day in over 20 years there. You’d often find yourself doing either boxing day and/or new years day though. Pay used to be time and a half plus day off in lieu, but changed to “duty hours” before I left, meaning you were expected to work them for flat money. :frowning:

Winseer:
You’d have to be working Christmas Day I would think to get £17.50ph. (

Or just work a sunday nightshift.

this

Suedehead:
From what i have seen of RM drivers,i wouldnt of thought you need too be of a very high standard .

and this…

alamcculloch:
Therewas a lot of bullzb .You could sleep while earning £17.50 per hour there regulars are Rsoles but once in they stay…

lets not turn this thread into another Royal Mail ‘assassination’ thread…

thank you guys.

gogzy:

Winseer:

As a full timer perhaps. What agency are paying that £17.50, now that Manpower have lost the contract then?

postman pat:
this

Suedehead:

and this…

alamcculloch:
Therewas a lot of bullzb .You could sleep while earning £17.50 per hour there regulars are Rsoles but once in they stay…

thank you guys.

Just two examples of RM lads showing the rest of us how it’s done:

Winseer:

gogzy:

Winseer:

As a full timer perhaps. What agency are paying that £17.50, now that Manpower have lost the contract then?

They havnt lost it otherwise I’d have no work, I got £15.74 an hour during the week basic with manpower

Own Account Driver:

postman pat:
this

Suedehead:

and this…

alamcculloch:
Therewas a lot of bullzb .You could sleep while earning £17.50 per hour there regulars are Rsoles b

ut once in they stay…

thank you guys.

Just two examples of RM lads showing the rest of us how it’s done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KspWgk0q6nY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBLEk8YP0yw

I did wonder how long it would be until these 2 ’ indefensible ’ you tube clips would be shown and there is no excuse for such poor driving, but I will keep comments constructive and sensible…
This thread is supposed to be about royal mail Xmas extra work, is it not ■■?

I will try not to be drawn into any pointless views of something totally unrelated to the thread…

If I were to point out bad driving examples or put negative comments on here everytime, any well known company’s name was mentioned…
I would never be off this forum…

I was working on RM for 4 months up until last October, Manpower have lost a lot of the contract, Agency i was with was Per Temps, they have taken over lots of RM work i was working for their basildon office, running out of Chelmsford on nights, easy work most nights was running to Coventry or peterborough or Park Royal. Trailer swap at Coventry, but most of time only work i did was sometimes run cages to end & load emptys.
Pay rates are £11.75 for 1st 6 weeks then £16.75 after that, They are looking for drivers for the Chelmsford contract give per temps, basildon a call.