royal mail

Would just like to know if anyone is currently working at royal mail in Warrington? They are taking on at the minute though its through an agency. Would just like to know do they take on their own drivers after a period of time or when your time is up? In this case January. I’m currently in a permanent job and is it worth the risk ?

What agency is that through? And is it Class 1 or Class 2? Kind regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not worth the risk you WILL be laid off in January.

Can only speak from previous threads on here.

I believe they make it sound really good to you then pretty much just give you 12 weeks then say see you later, or give you only one or 2 shifts a week after that.

I got the impression it’s almost impossible to earn what the agency claims you can.

And you’ve got no chance of getting on full time or if you do you better hope your playing the lottery that week as well. If you want to get on full time than forget HGVs for now and go and be a posty until they recruit internally for drivers.

Like I said, someone might come and tell me I’m talking total BS and I’ll stand corrected, I’ve no experience with them employed or on agency, the above is just the impression I got from when this has been asked before on here.

At least the parity pay will kick in BEFORE Christmas, when you’ll still be flat out for work there! :unamused:

I have always argued that there is more chance you “won’t be kept on in January” when you have not been taken on as agency by November.
September is actually the optimum time to start as agency for RM anywhere if you think about it. :bulb:

Rowley010:
Can only speak from previous threads on here.

I believe they make it sound really good to you then pretty much just give you 12 weeks then say see you later, or give you only one or 2 shifts a week after that.

I got the impression it’s almost impossible to earn what the agency claims you can.

And you’ve got no chance of getting on full time or if you do you better hope your playing the lottery that week as well. If you want to get on full time than forget HGVs for now and go and be a posty until they recruit internally for drivers.

Like I said, someone might come and tell me I’m talking total BS and I’ll stand corrected, I’ve no experience with them employed or on agency, the above is just the impression I got from when this has been asked before on here.

The MTSF programme has left RM looking rather silly that they got rid of an excess of drivers in the first instance. However, RM full time contracts could be argued to be among the very best in the driving industry anywhere, being highly Unionized etc. Having left Full Time @ RM myself in 2010, I never did manage to get back on as agency for a meaningful amount of work thereafter. I used to get a handful of shifts over the whole year (no parity pay) and then flat out for 8-12 weeks around Christmas time - but not a day more. I never EVER got parity pay on agency then.
With the parity pay being over £16ph already, you don’t really need more than a handful of shifts per week to make a pretty nice living. It really is a cushy place to work via agency for - IF you can get the regular work there all year around… People still take leave in January. Those drivers still need to be covered by the agency “Regulars”.

“Become one of those regulars by joining up agency-wise in September” has for a long time been my advice to fellow drivers already working for agencies. :bulb:

abzyyy:
What agency is that through? And is it Class 1 or Class 2? Kind regards.

It’s class one . Agency is elite employment based in Widnes.

RM work is used as bait by agencies…

Thanks for the replies. Safe to say ill give it a miss.

TiredAndEmotional:

Any particular reason RM is used for bait (sorry if it’s a blonde question)

TiredAndEmotional:

Yes, especially Manpower who signed me up telling me that they were the sole agency putting into RM at the time.
After I signed up, I got no RM shifts off them at all - but plenty of offers to be debt collector drivers, rigids in the West End of London, and dustcart work.
I also got a parking ticket because I overstayed my three hour limit whilst signing up for them, with all the buggering about.
So I officially nominate Manpower as the biggest scumbag agency of them all - for being the only ones that COST me money to sign up with, and never gave me a damned single shift after that! :imp: :angry:

All the RM shifts I eventually got were via “subby” agencies who, will pay their own rate (£10-£12ph) and you don’t get onto parity pay because the subbies only get used at peak times only.

Pertemps run the show around my way more recently, but they’ve expressed no interest whatsoever in signing up ex-RM drivers. I know it’s not me personally they are objecting to, as they are showing me the door before I’ve even given my name. I hear that large number of former Nine Elms drivers have had the same short shrift from them.
Fortunately for me, I wasn’t relying on RM being the only employing yard in town, and indeed the job I’ve got since leaving whilst not as good on pay and overtime - isn’t bad for a flat salary.

Love it when in the agency with RM. decent kit and a planned drive. Mostly trailer swaps and lots of time for breaks at the depot. Been earning £18.03ph recently via Pertemps. I know it’s mainly peak period from Sept but I think this is the best I could hope for at this time of the year.

TomCrin:
Love it when in the agency with RM. decent kit and a planned drive. Mostly trailer swaps and lots of time for breaks at the depot. Been earning £18.03ph recently via Pertemps. I know it’s mainly peak period from Sept but I think this is the best I could hope for at this time of the year.

And what’s your plans for January onwards?

TiredAndEmotional:

TomCrin:

And what’s your plans for January onwards?

Fair comment

Drop back into the pool with the rest of the flip flops.

How difficult is it to understand,people send Christmas presents and cards at wait for it at Christmas time.Agencies promise all sorts of things but they dont always follow through.Most trades are quiet in January except maybe the gritters.

TomCrin:

Try Europa, Downtons, & Supermarkets in January-March periods on agency.

I didn’t have any trouble getting those assignments - but didn’t start at RM for Christmas early enough to qualify for the meaty £18.03 as you say it is now with Pertemps. Grab and hold onto that with both hands - accept any odd shifts @ RM once January comes - to keep the Parity Pay in play thereafter. Even if you end up doing say, Every Sunday and an odd day last minute during the week, plus one or two shifts at the other firms I’ve mentioned - you’re still gonna achieve £500pw with no bother. Then come Easter, and the holiday cover seasons - you can look to being flat out at RM again, the parity pay having not lapsed due to an 8-week lull prior to Easter. :bulb: :bulb: