royal mail ?

Hay all, was hoping for some feed back on seasonal royal mail driving work ?

was woundering if you can go direct or is it just manpower you have to go thought.

is it hard work to get, whats the hours and pay like ?

do thay offen take on seasonal driver full time if thay need and think your ok ?

any feed back on the ins and outs of this would be good, many thanks for reading.

Normally manpower but have heard Pertemps are pinching some areas. Never managed to get on it my self( not for want of trying!) but been tol its good clean easy work. Normally nights and set runs.

Good luck with it mate.

I applied through Pertemps almost 3 weeks ago. Keen as mustard, they were - desperate for drivers they said.

I did the paperwork and they booked me an assessment drive 2 days later. I passed the assessment and now have a Royal Mail ‘Driver Passport’. Heard nothing for 12 day so phoned Pertemps (last Monday) - they promised to call me back the same day.

Still waiting 4 days later.

Why send me for an assessment and then ignore me?

As I said - good luck.

They do use other agencies because Manpower can no longer fulfil demand. Rates of pay depend totally on the agency you are driving for.

Don’t know about getting on full time as a result of helping with the Christmas rush but there is no harm in asking and I’m sure they will hel pyou out if you do a good job for them and they like you.

i worked inside royal mail for 6 years as an agency hoping to get a permanent job. but there was no chance of being permanent they were using agency year after year.

Thanks for the feed back, thought this might be the case. Teres a Pertemps just up the road from me. Thay were just the same all got loads of work, but there was something I didn’t like about them. So I hav’nt singed with them.

Gess it’s pot luck with who you get bumped onto. Dhl seem to be easier to get into than Royal Mail. Poverty cause its harder work and crapper paid.

were you based jrt? royal mail at warrington are taking on c2/7.5t

I signed up with man power 4 weeks ago, got my vetting back two weeks ago and they said there not taking on at the Preston depot were I want to get in and there only taking drivers on at the Warrington unit which is to far for me.

but want to get into royal mail hgv as I was a postman with them.

what was the assessment day like pal?

cheers

OnlyAlan:
Good luck with it mate.

I applied through Pertemps almost 3 weeks ago. Keen as mustard, they were - desperate for drivers they said.

I did the paperwork and they booked me an assessment drive 2 days later. I passed the assessment and now have a Royal Mail ‘Driver Passport’. Heard nothing for 12 day so phoned Pertemps (last Monday) - they promised to call me back the same day.

Still waiting 4 days later.

Why send me for an assessment and then ignore me?

As I said - good luck.

I take it all back. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

After typing the above I went to the Pertemps office and guess what: The security vetting is done and I am in.

I have 30 minutes safety training to do on Monday and then shifts booked Tuesday to Friday.

Taken 3 weeks to the day to get there but the rates of pay certainly justify the wait. :slight_smile:

haaaay, how about that. glad you got in there, what kind of shift are you on ? do you know how many hours you’ll be working. if it takes that long to get in its proberly too late for me to apply to royal mail. still be cool if you could let us know how you get on. have thay said how long you’ll be employed ? till january i gess ?

jrt:
haaaay, how about that. glad you got in there, what kind of shift are you on ? do you know how many hours you’ll be working. if it takes that long to get in its proberly too late for me to apply to royal mail. still be cool if you could let us know how you get on. have thay said how long you’ll be employed ? till january i gess ?

They have given me my shifts for Tuesday to Friday - same shift every day. I think it is job-and-knock but will know more next week.

The agency say there will be work until late January at least and probably ongoing after that, but I tend not to believe much an agency tells me.

At least they run modern trucks and it is clean work with pretty good money, even if it just for a few weeks. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

what about the 2 year expirance rule ? did thay say you had to have 2 years expirance ? is this your first driving job ?

Our work is just around the corner from the RM Warrington depot, they have a heck of a lot of shiny new hire units in at the moment, likely for Christmas. :wink:

lost count how long ive been how now.

still easy work if you can get on it.

jrt:
what about the 2 year expirance rule ? did thay say you had to have 2 years expirance ? is this your first driving job ?

I don’t have two years experience but the agency did ask anyway.

I was at Royal Mail this morning for H&S training. I asked the driver/coach about a two year rule and he said they did not have one. On reflection, I am not surprised as Royal Mail vehicles are not insured (as in, by an insurance company) but are covered by law (statute).

hth

that’s good news, no 2 year rules always nice to hear. thanks for posting this on here very usful to know. I don’t have a manpower round here. but i hear pertemps are recruiting for royal mail.

would be good to know what the working day is like and all thats involved where you are. hope it gose well.

Signed up with Manpower in Stockport for Royal Mail work 3 weeks ago and only got my crb back last Friday! Told me there waiting for the next inductions/assessments but still nothing even though i made it clear i was willing to do 7.5 tonne, class 1 and 2 work AND could work at both Manchester and Warrington depots.

The frustrating thing for me is i had the chance to sign with another agency from birmingham advertising the same job and said they can get me an assessment at Warringon straight away. :imp:

Really set my heart on doing Royal mail work till xmas as currently stuck with blue arrow who will only offer me home delivery work at Knowhow :cry:

im in same position as you mate.

I signed up with manpower Warrington 5 weeks ago for 7.5t class 2 work got my crb back 2 weeks ago and they have turned around and said Preston and Manchester are not taking anyone on yet wait till mid November and things will start picking up.

hopefully it will pick up as I want to do Christmas with RM on the lorries.

how do you get on full time driving the 7.5 t or class 2 with rm?