Route Advice

I need to travel from Poole to Severn Beach next week in 38 tonne with 14ft high box. Would be grateful for advice on best route from someone who is familiar. Thanks in advance. :confused:

M27,A34,M4 thats the best way to go.

As above, it seems a long way round but the alternative A36 A350 A46 is real drag.

As my old mate always says, you can’t clock any totty on a single carriageway so where a choice go dual every time… :wink:

Juddian:
As above, it seems a long way round but the alternative A36 A350 A46 is real drag.

What he said. Even in a car or on a bike the A36 is a crap route.

well.

i wouldn’t start from there if i were you. :smiley:

The best way is A35 to Dorchester then A37 to Yeovil then A303 and A 358 to Taunton and the M4 at j 25 and then once you’re on the motorway it’s an easy 50 mins to Severn Beach.

Oh and sorry no low bridges and welcome to TNUK.

Thetaff:

That’s a very long way round at least 3 hrs if not more. :confused:

bald bloke:

Thetaff:

That’s a very long way round at least 3 hrs if not more. :confused:

Time your route running at 38 tonne then…you will find there aint much in it…

I disagree and I’ve done both ways from Ryvita in Poole to Avonmouth .

bald bloke:
The best way is A35 to Dorchester then A37 to Yeovil then A303 and A 358 to Taunton and the M4 at j 25 and then once you’re on the motorway it’s an easy 50 mins to Severn Beach.

^^^^^what he said^^^^^

Except i think he meant M5 at J25 :sunglasses:

Do not go via Blandford,it is twisty and tight corners and a pain,if you meet other heavy traffic.

RIPPER:

bald bloke:

^^^^^what he said^^^^^

Except i think he meant M5 at J25 :sunglasses:

Yep I did mean M5 :blush: and also what Toby said don’t via Blandford and Shaftsbury it’s an awfull road.

Terrible road,milk tankers on there,small villages,no good for trucks. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Avoid the A36 Salisbury route with the low bridge,but good transport cafe at Codford.

There is a 14ft bridge just the other side of Salisbury just in case you happened to be slightly over that height somehow; another reason not to go that way, though I like it for my purposes. Up the A34 would be the easiest but far from the shortest or possibly best.

Years ago the super cube high containers would still use Salisbury,but go around the low bridges,now it is a 7.5 ton limit,but you did come out 100 metres away from the low bridge down a narrow lane,that is signed for the park and ride.

i reckon the best way is a34 m4 because the a36 is a right bast.

ref.the low bridge at wilton i used to go under with a high cube but dropped the rear ride height

IIRC if you come of m48 and take the exit before the old bridge you can go that way
:question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

bald bloke:

This the best route - use to run it 5 nights a week (Portsmouth to Yeovil / Taunton). Good roads, mix of single & dual carriageway, usually the traffic is flowing nicely.

Re - Salisbury & the Wilton bridge, use to go that way sometimes if I fancied a change, the warning signs would always flash that I was over height (14 limit, trailer was 14,2) but it went under no probs)

Straight up! I take the direct route every time personally. I get bored of motorways constantly

switchlogic:
Straight up! I take the direct route every time personally. I get bored of motorways constantly

This/\ I find myself getting tired very quickly on motorways. Single carridgeway driving keeps me alert.