Route advice please - South West

Pretty basic question really but I’ve never been down that way in a wagon, I’m leaving the yard in East Kent at about 03.30 tomorrow and heading for Exeter, am I better off going M3 and A303 or M4 and M5?
Drops in Ivybridge, Langage and Redruth after but I think there’s not much choice of route there. Any advice gratefully received, cheers.

A303 every time for me, it’s a nice road to drive on with lovely scenery. One of my favourite roads, places to pull over and you get to see stone henge. :slight_smile:

Definitely go M3, A303, A30 it’s far more interesting than the motorway route, in fact it’s one of my favourite roads as its all very rural and varies from dual to single and will be quiet and uncluttered with a few eateries along the way, don’t blink when you go past Stonehenge otherwise you’ll miss it and towards Honiton you’ll have the Blackdown Hills. Enjoy.

If you are heading on the M3, you might meet the rush hour by the time you get to it. Its got road-works on it so it may be slow going.

Sounds convincing :slight_smile: thanks gents

Radar19:
If you are heading on the M3, you might meet the rush hour by the time you get to it. Its got road-works on it so it may be slow going.

Is that the roadworks at the m25 end? I know them well as I go into Bracknell quite often, reckon I’ll be through there before it picks up too much

Les Shoes:

That’s a lovely run you have there and a lot of it won’t be boring motorway. :wink:

If you get peckish there’s a McDonald’s at Andover. Park up on Joule road and walk through the pub garden. Good spot for overnight parking too. It’s covered by cctv from the industrial units so quite safe.

^^
Agreed A 303. There is something about the chance to go cross country from Kent, you don’t often get the opportunity to do so. It does remind you whichever way you go just how far it is to the South West.

Just after the A303 crosses over the A350 there’s a large layby on the left with proper toilets and a small sit in cafe, at Lee Mills there’s a truck stop right next to the A38 that’s pretty good.

When coming back from Redruth go via A30 to Exeter if you can that’s another lovely road.

Tris:
If you get peckish there’s a McDonald’s at Andover. Park up on Joule road and walk through the pub garden. Good spot for overnight parking too. It’s covered by cctv from the industrial units so quite safe.

Worth knowing, thanks

I’d consider going M4 and then cutting down to the M3 (and then A303) on the A33 to miss the roadworks further up the M3, as they can be a ■■■■■ at present…

It’s just gonna come down to whether you want an easy motorway drive. The A303 is shorter by around 30 miles I reckon (not checked) but not massively shorter. However, as you’re trucking through the early hours you shouldn’t encounter traffic so the A303 will be quicker. The only things to consider if you’re not familiar with the road, are just basic things which might help to keep you awake - the odd steep hill, tight roundabouts here and there, poor lighting in some of the single carriageway sections, the odd speed camera, etc. Although most of the A303 is dualled and easy as well! So it’s up to you.

bald bloke:

Les Shoes:

That’s a lovely run you have there and a lot of it won’t be boring motorway. :wink:

Cheers, I am looking forward to it, just not the start time!
Thanks for all the advice chaps, think I’m gonna hit the sack now

Evil8Beezle:
I’d consider going M4 and then cutting down to the M3 and then A303 on the A33 to miss the roadworks further up the M3, as they can be a ■■■■■ at present…

He’s leaving at 03.30 so he should just squeeze through in time plus he’s heading away from London which will help a bit.

Les Shoes:

Tris:

Worth knowing, thanks

Just don’t tell the Poles, leave them rocking about in the 303 lay-bys. :slight_smile:

I do this run every week, normally twice a week and for me it depends largely on the weight I am carrying.

The A303 is a more interesting route, a far nicer drive (Stonehenge approaching from the east is one of the most majestic views on the whole of the UK road network), but if you are loaded to 44 tonnes it is hard work, it is a roller-coaster of a road, fully freighted it costs me £30 more in diesel than the M4/M5 option. (I’m an owner-driver)

If you do choose the A303 option, you will do better to cut across the A358 to Taunton rather than going over the Blackdown Hills.

Just one thing, once you get down in the south west if you’re going off the beaten track ring ahead for route advice. I do farms down there and I dread to think what a mess I’d have ended up in following the sat Nav…

m3 and a303 everytime, even with roadworks. we do that way every day from cornwall to ashford. if you’re in redruth, smokey joes cafe just off the a30 at the scorrier turn off is a top spot, just next door to conway bailey transport. very truck friendly, never had to myself but have seen plenty of trucks parked overnight there.

Smokey Joes, £15 to park & includes ur evening meal, unless its steak, tomorrow the Xmas meals are available, shower around the back of cafe, cant fault the food.