ross on wye cattle market

I stopped there back last winter and only wanted a portion of chips to take away as i had some casserole in the truck that i brought from home from the day before.Paid the parking fee while she cooked the chips priced at £1.20 and she put them in a polystyrene box and said thats £1.50 thank you,I say that its only £1.20 to which she replied its an extra 30p for the packaging i promptly told her where to stick her chips and still had to spend the night there because i had already paid the parking.Makes me wonder if she would have charged extra for a cup if was to take a tea away.dog robbing ■■■■■■■■■ :imp:

Rob K:
Never ever have anything to eat or drink there as you’ll end up with food poisoning. It is THE worse place in the whole of the UK for food, at least 10x as bad as Quernhow and that’s being generous. :open_mouth: My stomach is lead lined and doesn’t bat an eyelid at being fed with 2 week out-of-date yoghurts :astonished: , nor milk with chunks in it either :open_mouth: but the food from there has my gut churning and close to throwing it all back up :imp: . That gives you a good indication of how bad it is. :open_mouth:

Like Malc above, I can’t believe that they haven’t been shut down by Enviro Health. :angry:

what about a cheese salad sandwich… i remember they are your favourites. :laughing:

jessicas dad:

Rob K:
Never ever have anything to eat or drink there as you’ll end up with food poisoning. It is THE worse place in the whole of the UK for food, at least 10x as bad as Quernhow and that’s being generous. :open_mouth: My stomach is lead lined and doesn’t bat an eyelid at being fed with 2 week out-of-date yoghurts :astonished: , nor milk with chunks in it either :open_mouth: but the food from there has my gut churning and close to throwing it all back up :imp: . That gives you a good indication of how bad it is. :open_mouth:

Like Malc above, I can’t believe that they haven’t been shut down by Enviro Health. :angry:

what about a cheese salad sandwich… i remember they are your favourites. :laughing:

:open_mouth: Don’t… I have never been so ill in my life. I’ll never buy/eat supermarket pre-washed/packed salad stuff again after that.

Hi all , re the truck stop/cafe at ross on wye … as from the 1st this month (November) i have taken over the place … not sure if its the wisest thing i have ever done as quite rightly you guys have said what its like … was like ! it was a real dump and filthy !!
We took over at 10pm monday night and it took 3 people all night until 1130am tuesday morning to clean the cooking area to a standard that was acceptable to cook in . we have painted the sitting area jet washed the floor outside and the tables and chairs too , replaced a piece of floor just inside the door as it was about to fall apart .
I can assure you it is safe to eat there now and the staff are friendly and clean with no signs of inbreeding at all :wink:
There are no dogs on premises so if you do feel like eating 1 then please bring your own :smiley:
as for the parking charges im afraid its the market owners that set the price and part of the agreement that we collect the money for them , each morning around 9am the market guy comes and collects the tickets and cash … as for trailer change charges yes we should take £10 for it but we are so busy and its dark outside and my eyes are not what they were :wink:
As for the place the agreement/lease is only until march 2011 and until then i will try to improve what we have the best i can but wont spend much on the buildings just do running repairs … like getting the shower sorted in next week or so .
please be assured that the food is edible and we have had many compliments from drivers regarding the cleaning and good simple honest food .
I too am a truck driver still and have been for 30 years i work 5 on 3 off and 2 days in cafe and i understand that drivers want clean places and will really try to deliver for you , my wife who is chinese is helping along with good friends to make it work so i just ask those of you who have been before to come and try again see and taste the difference , its not the ritz and never will be but is clean now and always will be while we are there … thanks all … Dave

Ben9:
BUT-

Did you take advantage of the BOGOF breakfast offer.

Now I like a full english as much as the next man but would you risk it■■?

BOGIE

Buy One Get Infected with E.coli

Obviously this was the old interbred cafe owner, so I will give Hunter the benefit of the doubt, but that loose floor was like that 5 years ago when the only thing I stopped for was a ■■■■ and a flask of tea :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like the new owner reads the forums, place I never been back to after a similar experiance to those posted.
I hope Hunter & his Misses can deliver a clean enviroment, and edible grub at affordable prices.
Hope to see some complimentary posts before I risk it again.

Good luck with it mate hope it works out for you.

Well I’ll pop in and have a look next time I pass.

Hiya Hunter 40…good luck mate. iam retired now and don,t go that way very often so its a no from me.
I,ve not been in the market for mabe 15 years.If i do a run in the motor home i,ll call.
Give him a chance lads he must be on our side to have a go…I think a changeover should be free with a parking ticket
and maybe a charge if not useing the services.
John

Thanks for the replies , we will do our best and will always accept constructive criticism or helpfull advice , i think the word is getting around a bit as tonight we had 17 trucks stop over when i left at 845pm … last week it was about 9 a night may be a ■■■■■ dont know but the guys there were having a laugh and chat so seems to be going the right way … see you soon

Good luck with the new venture as you know us truckers are down to earth and don’t want too much just a little respect which was missing with the previous owners. I’ll look forward visiting next time I pass.

Hey 3300john , talking with guys tonight at cafe they all agreed with your comment about trailer change free if useing the services of cafe or parking up for night … i just think its down to fairness for all as i do understand the land owners position but still think £10 to much also as i said …eyes are old now and i dont multi task well :wink:
regards Hunter40

Any danger of a women’s toilet, so we lasses don’t have to wade through the urine on the floor and hover over the seat to go? To not have seperate male and female toilets is ridiculous in this day and age, and would make a huge difference to my willingness to use the place again.

Ps. Glad the floor’s been done, although last time I was there I came to the conclusion I’d have been better off falling through it than trying to clean my teeth in that washroom!!! :wink:

I am pleased that hunter40 seems to be doing the right thing and he has a hard climb, but if he is as willing as he sounds by his posts. I wish him and his wife the best of luck.

BUT

How the hell did the swamp rat from hell get away with selling that disgusting crap in those disgusting buildings for so long without at least making the National papers or the Lancet?

I stopped there a couple of times when the ‘other’ people had it and all I remember is the price doubling over night from a fiver to a tenner, the other thing that made me laugh was when I decided to eat in my cab as it was a 100 times cleaner than that dive they called a cafe, I asked for it to take out and the lady (and I use that in the loosest possible way) asked me for my reg number, when I asked why, she replied “it’s so that if you throw the litter out the cab, we know who it was”, I cant believe they cared more about the car park than they did the cafe!!!

The place used to be a dive, but it was cheap and I think thats what mattered, even if I didnt eat it was only a fiver to park and they doubled the prices overnight!!

Mr B:
last nite i had the misfortune of doing a trailer change at this over priced dump i was supposed to be going to strensham but lack of driving time meant we had to do it here. i had to pay £10 for parking plus another £10 for change over.
this morning i was having a good moan to girl in snack van n she said at least its cheaper than services, no its not i said i did same job 2 weeks ago and paid £20 and the food was better too!!
its got to be the worst place in the country

M8, why didnt you just do the change over in the BP ( ithink) Stop, just up the road? The one on the stretch just as you get off the M50.
surely they dont charge much (and nothing for a change over i`m guessing) plus you have the joys of eating at KFC opposite or walking just up the road to the travellers rest!

Greasy Minger or Boneles box meal? :open_mouth: :wink: I know which i`d like more! :slight_smile:

Good Luck Hunter, I don’t get up that way very often but hope you can rebuild the reputation of the place !

I’ll suggest it as a parking place for my lads and see where we go from there - if they come back to me with moans i’ll let you know
cheers
Steve

Thanks for giving us a chance guys and ladies … its very hard going at the moment and staffing is a problem , we now will be open 24hrs from 6am monday until about 1130 pm friday nights … reopen sat morning at 6am until it dies off sat afternoon … reopen monday at 6am.
when i finish work tonight (sunday) im off over there to put some new fiberglass roofing over cooking area to stop the leaks so will be a late finish then im working it mon and tues 6am till 10pm. that will be another job done .
as for a ladies toilet its a good idea but not sure where we can put it … may be able to knock wall out and make a bigger toilet combining shower but then if someone in shower the toilet cant be used and still would not be seperate just bigger . i will try to come up with something but very restricted till it picks up and the lease is renewed in march .
off i go agin to the day job … the nice easy 1 for now lol :smiley:
regards Hunter40

Hunter 40 do you work on the tanks out of stonehouse ? reason i ask heard a few lads saying that one of the drivers on tanks has opened up a cafe at ross, i work on the distribution side at dairy crest, good luck anyway i will stop when i pass .