ROPING & SHEETING

as an englishman working for a scottish haulier (the best) 70s and 80s we called it a dundee, put 2 hitches in the dundee and make sure the rope is a good one ,believe me it was tight.

I saw a flat trailer today with 5/6 ft headboard front and Back ,it looked as the main loads carried were fertiliser ,it was fitted with a left to right easy sheet ,there was no centre bar just one at the off side end about a foot in .looked quite tidy with rope over too.

CAN ANY ONE RECALL THE WAY SOME SCOTISH OUTFITS USED TO FORM A OBLONG DESIGN WHILE ROPING THE BACK OF A FLAT,HARD TO EXPLAIN BUT INSTEAD OF A CROSS AT THE BACK IT LOOKED A LOT MORE INTRICATE :slight_smile:

If I remember correctly it was Known as an “Aberdeen Hitch” Thats what we called it (stand to be corrected) after you roped
from the sides and threw over the corners on boths sides where the ropes met in the middle You put the rope through
and pulled down on the rope hooks on the back of the trailer forming that shape, and making the ropes really tight

Simples !!

Regards
Kenny

We just knew it as a Scotsman

Regards

Spud1960

sgt major roadworks:
If I remember correctly it was Known as an “Aberdeen Hitch” Thats what we called it (stand to be corrected) after you roped
from the sides and threw over the corners on boths sides where the ropes met in the middle You put the rope through
and pulled down on the rope hooks on the back of the trailer forming that shape, and making the ropes really tight

Simples !!

Regards
Kenny

If it is what is described above(but from the description I have my doubts) we called the practice “Putting a Scotchman on” and what was in-ferred was nothing to do with Aberdeen but was a reference to how tight a Scotsman was with his brass!!! You couldnd’t half tighten up the X at the back of a load! especially if you double hitched it!! Bewick.

thanks for the info lads,its a while ago when i last saw it used,but then again its all straps now.

hiya,
Always used the method for tightening up the back end always knew it as the Dundee cross.
thanks harry long retired.

we always used to call that a “North Roader”

I remember when I was working for John Parrott [Cliff Parrotts ] in Bradford. I was empty in the yard when AE Autoparts phoned in with a load for London. Great I thought but I was told to take the blue eyed boys wagon [ he had gone to the dentists ] and load it for him. Not at all happy I thought if he is going to do the work he is definitely going to earn his overnight. Blue eyes was only about 5 foot 3 and I am 6foot so I double sheeted the load and roped every hook while standing on a crate. If you had picked up the wagon and shook it nothing would have moved an inch. Later on that week he pulled me in the yard about the load apparently it had taken him over two hours to unsheet the load.Deary deary me what a shame.

Seems to me there are different names all with a Scottish theme, But I guess depending on
wher you hail from different names for it.

So I guess we are all more or less correct ?

Regards
Kenny

hiya,
At one time whilst wasting time and putting braces through the the normal back end cross the design that i came up with resembled the Mercedes badge and a pal of mine who drove a “bullnose” Merc adopted it as his trademark and would’nt go anywhere without putting it on the backend of whatever he was pulling it did look well though ,wonder if i can still do it.

harry_gill:
hiya,
At one time whilst wasting time and putting braces through the the normal back end cross the design that i came up with resembled the Mercedes badge and a pal of mine who drove a “bullnose” Merc adopted it as his trademark and would’nt go anywhere without putting it on the backend of whatever he was pulling it did look well though ,wonder if i can still do it.

You probably still do in your dreams “H” (the rope thing that is!!!) Cheers Dennis

Bewick:

harry_gill:
hiya,

You probably still do in your dreams “H” (the rope thing that is!!!) Cheers Dennis

hiya,
Dennis after after a lifetime of roping and sheeting with few exceptions i’m so worn out and knackered the best i can do at bo-bo’s time is produce big ZZZZs, if i ever get the chance of being able live life again i’m going to be a wealthy womans plaything, but then i suppose i’d still get worn out and knackered, lifes a ■■■■■ you just can’t win.

It was called a Scotsmans Braces and was always used when Roping the Backend as far I knew, Sgt Major Roadworks described it.

Ben.

In the late 50’s & 60’s we called this a Dundee and I was at my first job, Inter-City Transport of ■■■■■■■■■■■■ Scotland (I was at their Holloway, London Depot)…Tony.

sgt major roadworks:

Simples !!

Regards
Kenny

Sounds very much like a Glasgow Cross to me Kenny?

Bewick:

sgt major roadworks:

Simples !!

Regards
Kenny

If it is what is described above(but from the description I have my doubts) we called the practice “Putting a Scotchman on” and what was in-ferred was nothing to do with Aberdeen but was a reference to how tight a Scotsman was with his brass!!! You couldnd’t half tighten up the X at the back of a load! especially if you double hitched it!! Bewick.

Did exactly that Dennis with a load of palleted lard,you can guess what happened to the boxes on the corners cant you!!

Take it easy,

Rgds,

David :laughing:

I.I.R.C. it was a Scots Cross on the back and you used Aberbeen Overdrive coming down Beattock :wink: .

All the many and varied references for roping the backend of a load as "tight as a drum"originate from one part of the UK—SCOTLAND! so it must be true! That Scotsmen are the most tightest,,*,*****probably in the world!!!I never had anything come slack on my loads if I’d finished off the roping with “a north of the Border double hitch”.Happy Hogmonay!Bewick.