ROPING & SHEETING

I must admit i used to enjoy roping and sheeting always got a bit of self satisfaction when i stood back and had a look at it .When i started everything went under canvas it took you a while to do and you could always nick half an hour to wash up and have cup of tea before you rang in to say you were mobile and when you got to where you were going someone would always help you roll them up be it driver or fork truck driver its such a poor condemnation of this trade that now most drivers wont even talk to you now that is if they can speak English .After 43 years i am glad i am finished its no fun out there any more blimey i sound like me dad i think its time for me nap! nurse ,nurse.

I must admit i used to enjoy roping and sheeting always got a bit of self satisfaction when i stood back and had a look at it .When i started everything went under canvas it took you a while to do and you could always nick half an hour to wash up and have cup of tea before you rang in to say you were mobile and when you got to where you were going someone would always help you roll them up be it driver or fork truck driver its such a poor condemnation of this trade that now most drivers wont even talk to you now that is if they can speak English .After 43 years i am glad i am finished its no fun out there any more blimey i sound like me dad i think its time for me nap! nurse ,nurse.Sorry stuttering fingers.

phil the book:
I must admit i used to enjoy roping and sheeting always got a bit of self satisfaction when i stood back and had a look at it .When i started everything went under canvas it took you a while to do and you could always nick half an hour to wash up and have cup of tea before you rang in to say you were mobile and when you got to where you were going someone would always help you roll them up be it driver or fork truck driver its such a poor condemnation of this trade that now most drivers wont even talk to you now that is if they can speak English .After 43 years i am glad i am finished its no fun out there any more blimey i sound like me dad i think its time for me nap! nurse ,nurse.Sorry stuttering fingers.

Here’s one just for you Phil—a Bewick Scania with a load of Disley tissue reels on end.If I’d sheeted it the red fly sheet would have been visible on the N/S and the O/S would have been right down to the chock rave!! Still it is a tidy job.Dennis.

Nice one Bewick hope you are feeling better now .Heres another load i used to do 44 pallets of dog biscuits from Frodsham to Tesco,s at Waltham cross on a 40 footer 24 pallets on the bottom sheet them up then 20 pallets turned the other way on top and sheet them about 20 ton and 15 feet high a git to rope up on a windy day but they always let me sheet up in the shed.All the best PTB

phil the book:
Nice one Bewick hope you are feeling better now .Heres another load i used to do 44 pallets of dog biscuits from Frodsham to Tesco,s at Waltham cross on a 40 footer 24 pallets on the bottom sheet them up then 20 pallets turned the other way on top and sheet them about 20 ton and 15 feet high a git to rope up on a windy day but they always let me sheet up in the shed.All the best PTB

This is a shot of a Bewick LD34 York tandem loaded with Henry Cooke paper in the depot at Milnthorpe circa early 90s.The trailer was one of a batch I bought in '73 so it would be about 20 years old at this time (or close to it).Thought it was a nice shot for PTB to drool over!!!Dennis.

Bewick:

phil the book:

This is a shot of a Bewick LD34 York tandem loaded with Henry Cooke paper in the depot at Milnthorpe circa early 90s.The trailer was one of a batch I bought in '73 so it would be about 20 years old at this time (or close to it).Thought it was a nice shot for PTB to drool over!!!Dennis.

Nice one dennis,
I used to sheet them like that out of trinity mills at little lever and holcombe mills in the 90s,also loaded and sheeted them stood up similar to the disley load.Hard graft but something to be proud of if you did it right.Sadly the afore mentioned mills are now defunt but happy days.
regards dave

dennis , what was the paper mill by the m6 off the a6 bear right , then turn right down a narrow winding lane to a low bridge under the m6 , entrance was on the right . i took a few loads in there in the 90s , on curtainsiders by then , the name escapes me , it’s that age thing again. it was a good tip & they didn’t mind you overnighting in the yard if you were late . the paper came from portbury dock , cheers rigsby [ dave ]

rigsby:
dennis , what was the paper mill by the m6 off the a6 bear right , then turn right down a narrow winding lane to a low bridge under the m6 , entrance was on the right . i took a few loads in there in the 90s , on curtainsiders by then , the name escapes me , it’s that age thing again. it was a good tip & they didn’t mind you overnighting in the yard if you were late . the paper came from portbury dock , cheers rigsby [ dave ]

Youv’e got me there Dave! Give 'us another clue!!! Dennis.

o k dennis , just had a good think & perused my 1970s map book . the place was near catterall , very narrow lane , two lorries could only pass in 3 places , and then only just . the old smithy was opposite the entrance and you had to swing onto its frontage to get square enough to clear the gatepost . the only worse one was harcostar drums into angus fire , what a dump!!! cheers dave

rigsby:
o k dennis , just had a good think & perused my 1970s map book . the place was near catterall , very narrow lane , two lorries could only pass in 3 places , and then only just . the old smithy was opposite the entrance and you had to swing onto its frontage to get square enough to clear the gatepost . the only worse one was harcostar drums into angus fire , what a dump!!! cheers dave

Was it British Tissues? Dennis.

hiyadennis , i think you could be right there , we never got any further north than that , might have got ambushed by them ■■■■■■■■ blokes !! we did mainly manchester [ ribble packaging ] & a few others out of portbury or tilbury . favourite was buxton to avonmouth , portbury to croydon & tilbury to oldham . would you have been happy with that , or was croydon to tilbury too much empty mileage ? dave

rigsby:
hiyadennis , i think you could be right there , we never got any further north than that , might have got ambushed by them ■■■■■■■■ blokes !! we did mainly manchester [ ribble packaging ] & a few others out of portbury or tilbury . favourite was buxton to avonmouth , portbury to croydon & tilbury to oldham . would you have been happy with that , or was croydon to tilbury too much empty mileage ? dave

Spot on Dave that triangle,the m/t miles from Croydon to Tilbury would be negligble so ten out of ten my son!!! Dennis

Hiya …As well all go on about the newby,s and this rope and sheeting thing(why do we all say rope and sheet its backwards)this is my
idea…why not take a load to Gaydon or some other show and have the lads to unsheet the load roll up the sheets and then re sheet it.
the lads could say they,ed had a go and the organisers could make a little compitition out of it. It would be nothing to hard. hows that.
Bewick you could be judge.
It would be like the tractor reversing jobby at the farm shows.
John

dennis , just spotted the scania with the disley reels on . i’ll bet that was a bit tight on the under the bridge below the factory . bowaters tried several times to get planning for direct access to the a6 , but the council said it was too dangerous . how dangerous was it up through the wood when the leaves fell . i have had wheelspin round the hairpin on a dry road . cheers , dave

3300John:
Hiya …As well all go on about the newby,s and this rope and sheeting thing(why do we all say rope and sheet its backwards)this is my
idea…why not take a load to Gaydon or some other show and have the lads to unsheet the load roll up the sheets and then re sheet it.
the lads could say they,ed had a go and the organisers could make a little compitition out of it. It would be nothing to hard. hows that.
John

hiya,
Great idea but would’nt H&S intervene, it was a dangerous job someone may fall off the load and if they did’nt land on their head might injure themselves.
thanks harry long retired.

rigsby:
dennis , just spotted the scania with the disley reels on . i’ll bet that was a bit tight on the under the bridge below the factory . bowaters tried several times to get planning for direct access to the a6 , but the council said it was too dangerous . how dangerous was it up through the wood when the leaves fell . i have had wheelspin round the hairpin on a dry road . cheers , dave

By eck mate you bring back memorys here.Many yrs ago i was contracted to dc jeakins tpt.and we used to carry drums out of bowaters on a regular basis.Being only light loads they were mainly carried on single axle boxvans with the axle right on the arse.Getting round that hairpin going in was bad,getting out a nightmare beause you couldant get as big a swing at it because of the lay of the land.
regards dave.

harry_gill:

3300John:
John

hiya,
Great idea but would’nt H&S intervene, it was a dangerous job someone may fall off the load and if they did’nt land on their head might injure themselves.
thanks harry long retired.

Aye you are prob.right there harry h&s would want a platform constructing along with a hoist and arrest harness.
regards dave.

3300John:
John

A good idea john but sadly i fear doomed to failure.In the 90s when i worked for ken harvey we worked out of hipwood and grundy,s old depot.Also in a corner of the yard was an hgv training school.They contacted ken about providing a suitable load and driver one a/noon a week to demonstrate and invite participation in a short class in r&s.What ken got out of it i dont know but the point is it was ended because of lack of interest by drivers attending the course.
regards dave.

rigsby:

Hiya Dave,they put a new road in out through the bottom so we didn’t need to go out the top way up into Disley.Dennis.

3300John:
John

Would be too much like 'ard graft for them now John,but excellent idea all the same!!! Dennis.