roping and sheeting

one for you Phil

The Boys Own:
one for you Phil

I’m sure I know that lorry from somewhere…

image.jpg

The Boys Own:
one for you Phil

Full marks for the S&R Job One of the best Ive seen, Well done, Regards Larry.

The moomooland picture of the straw was set up ,look at the other two in the passengers cabside ,all nice and commfee, feet up on the dash ,no panic, if you are quite you can hear them laughing their socks off, that was the normal run…no differnt from the old cattle trucks ehh.slight list to starboard…all the ■■■■ running out.nice

Imust say it is good to read that most of the comments on roping and sheeting have all come from men who have done it,no ■■■■■■■■,just as the job was,all the young men who want to learn to drive should be put through a weeks course of hand ball, how to sit waiting,no tv,radio,internet ,roping sheeting,how to chock reels,and sheet,load timber with your own dunnage, tilbury ,or seaforth, or no load …,sucure it with 6 chains and snappers,no gloves,load sheet steel, load heinz from kit green.hand ball and sheet soap products from elmers port…with a sheet on the deck to stop rain coming up through the boards,i could go on however for a southerner we did not do to bad , would the Lancashire department agree.

Lawrence Dunbar:

The Boys Own:
one for you Phil

Sir, I thank you for those kind words.

This was “fun” to sheet.

(Have to do another post to show the load, don’t know how to put more than one picture in.)

Wasn’t great trying to “see” were to stand with the sheet on.

Lawrence Dunbar:

The Boys Own:
one for you Phil

Only 9 out of ten Larry,why don’t these “latter day” drivers use fly sheets,a torrential downpour would go straight through them sheets as far as I can see.As you well know Mr.D.continuous roping over the main sheets wears out the proofing,it’s the fly sheet that keeps the rain out eh! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

The Boys Own:
one for you Phil

Only 9 out of ten Larry,why don’t these “latter day” drivers use fly sheets,a torrential downpour would go straight through them sheets as far as I can see.As you well know Mr.D.continuous roping over the main sheets wears out the proofing,it’s the fly sheet that keeps the rain out eh! Cheers Dennis.

“Latter day” driver, not sure if I should feel good about that or not. 29 years. I know, it’s all relative to how long we’ve all been doing it. Feels like a long time most days.

Anyway, the sheets went on mainly to give them an airing, and to stop tatty shrinkwrap blowing about.
A flysheet wasn’t needed as the load stands outside. And I couldn’t use what I hadn’t got.

They’re my excuses and I’m sticking to 'em.

No Rush:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

The Boys Own:
one for you Phil

“Latter day” driver, not sure if I should feel good about that or not. 29 years. I know, it’s all relative to how long we’ve all been doing it. Feels like a long time most days.

Anyway, the sheets went on mainly to give them an airing, and to stop tatty shrinkwrap blowing about.
A flysheet wasn’t needed as the load stands outside. And I couldn’t use what I hadn’t got.

Hi Dennis, We all have to learn and we learn by our mistakes. surely its not rocket science on vulnerable loads the fly sheet keeps out the rain, respect in the job, and no excuses maybe cant be arsed.
Les.

No its definately not rocket science but as he says and look at the pictures the load didnt even require sheeting

so i say fair play and well done mate however get on to your gaffer for some new sheets the i think the newness has worn off a bit on them

I dont see any pics from dan with the finished article ■■?

Keep them coming

Mike Ponsonby…

lespullan:

No Rush:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

The Boys Own:
one for you Phil

Hi Dennis, We all have to learn and we learn by our mistakes. surely its not rocket science on vulnerable loads the fly sheet keeps out the rain, respect in the job, and no excuses maybe cant be arsed.
Les.

hows this two bottle sheets and a fly

What I am about to say will probably go down like a “lead balloon” in many quarters but it is just my opinion and in no way casts aspersions on the “one off” sheeting and roping jobs that appear on the thread now and are first class efforts make no mistake.However,they are just that, “one offs” which will have taken time and slow careful effort in order to produce a near perfect example of what is now a dying craft.IMHO the real skill in S&R unfortunately died a lingering death as Curtainsiders took hold in the late '70’s and into the 80’s.The real skill lay with the many Shunters(and Drivers) that loaded flat trailers,and rigids,in the big works and busy warehouses,I am thinking here of the likes of the big Glass works,Metal Box factories,Food manufactures and quite a few Paper mills,some of which we operated from.When a Shunter had sometimes upwards of 10 + trailers a day to load,sheet and rope singlehanded he didn’t have time to stop and admire his work or photograph his work(mores the pity) as he had to get another empty onto the bay PDQ.I’ve witnessed many a time what I’ve just described at many places and the the quality of the R&S in most cases was comparable to any shot on this thread in fact it was wonderous to behold as to how some of these Shunters got through their days work but still managed to turn out immaculate loads but had no time to stand back and admire their sterling efforts.I know I may draw some Flak but those were the days when S&R was King and those are the shots which should be featuring on the thread but alas it never can be as we all well know :frowning: Anyway I will await the “onslaught” with interest although I hope no one has “taken a powder” with my coments. Cheers Bewick.

Now Bewick you might have trouble roping and sheeting that loose load,Quote"Anyway I will await the “onslaught” with interest although I hope no one has “taken a powder” with my coments. Cheers Bewick." unquote. Very difficult to stop it blowing away I would have thought, :smiley:

P.S But I agree with the rest of what you said,and here are a few of my late father’s sterling efforts. :smiley:

More…

I think one of the most difficult loads was cocoa beans in Hessian sacks,it looked like a pregnant cow…

Great pics of the loads of hop pokes and pockets, Paul. Someone on the Kent Transport thread was crying out for any Colin Ashby pics a while ago… Robert