roping and sheeting

Bewick:
Look, the words “horse,dead,flogging” come to mind when trying to reserect the BIG J 8LXB fiasco,you will note that the most voiciferous sections of the supporters forum have gone silent,there never was an 8LXB Guy Big J and that is final.!! You know I am,so Cheers. :confused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We’re quietly keeping a watching brief, Dennis. :wink:

moomooland:

Now for a cockney outfit that looks like a tidy sheeting and roping job but then again it could be a changeover trailer from the North or Scotland :wink: Cheers Bewick.

I agree, Bewick, it doesn’t really look like most of the “London” loads that I remember. Maybe the driver used to work for a proper English firm?

DSCF0419.JPG
DSCF0422.JPGHi, Dennis

I saw this fine example of the old art that used to denote a proper lorry driver at the BRS 66 show last weekend, and it’s even got a Scania on the front end.
Just proves the old ways aren’t dead yet and it really looked a treat as ,I’m sure, you will agree.
You can go to bed now knowing that all is not lost and dream of the days when it was your bread and butter!
Bassman

Bassman:
0123Hi, Dennis

I saw this fine example of the old art that used to denote a proper lorry driver at the BRS 66 show last weekend, and it’s even got a Scania on the front end.
Just proves the old ways aren’t dead yet and it really looked a treat as ,I’m sure, you will agree.
You can go to bed now knowing that all is not lost and dream of the days when it was your bread and butter!
Bassman

I agree Bassman thats a good looking outfit,i was at BRS 66 and took Pauls Guy [pickfords vixen] but i had to give Mike P 10 mins head start as i did not want to show him up on M6! :smiley:

Pete
The Guy looked good on Sunday,it’s hard to realize that those and the Noddy vans were in every town in days gone by.
I think Mike Ponsonby’s truck would have appreciated the head start otherwise he would have been sick of your orange beacon in his windscreen!

Great day all round.

Bassman

Bassman:
0123Hi, Dennis

Bassman

Did Mike put the fly sheet on after you took the shot then “Bassman”? :wink: I think young Ponsonby is a “Tight Wad” he never uses a fly sheet like wot us old hands would have done :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Very tidy job though as we’ve come to expect from MAP as I and the very few left that could still make a tidy job well know.Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Bassman:
0123Hi, Dennis

Bassman

Did Mike put the fly sheet on after you took the shot then “Bassman”? :wink: I think young Ponsonby is a “Tight Wad” he never uses a fly sheet like wot us old hands would have done :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Very tidy job though as we’ve come to expect from MAP as I and the very few left that could still make a tidy job well know.Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
Methinks a cross on the back, although it would only be cosmetic on this load
but it would just finish the arse end off he’s followed the “rules” and enclosed
the headboard and continued the sheet completely over the tail end.
thanks harry, long retired.

Another load of machinery

I was taught in a funny set of circumstances. I was always truck mad my dad worked on B,head docks my mum would take sandwiches down for him if he had to work to finish a ship maybe 10atnight b,head was very busy at one time and the streets were always full of lorries in the queue I loved looking at them I used to chat to the drivers ,but for some reason they seemed more interested in my mother anyway at 16i got a job as a office boy at Lever Bros Port Sunlight thanks to my mum who dragged me to there employment office every week for 12months I worked in the office in the seed rushing mill my boss was a decent guy ,I used to mainly work the hrs out for each worker in the mil a doddle I used to walk round the factory most of the day to deliver mail ,I spent a lot of time talking to drivers ,SilverRoadways J&H and Alfred Dexter I spent more time with the Dexterdrivers than I did in the office especially with a true gent named John Roberts my boss was mad on the theatre and help run the port sunlight players amateur dramatic society and he held meetings in the office and he would tell me to buzz off for a few hrs so I would find a driver usually a Dexter one and they taught me to rope and sheet and I would help them I ended up getting a job with them and that was the start of 50years on the road, I seen on the forum don’t rope fly sheets ,I learnt a hard lesson on that ,I worked for Jones Transport services in Widnes it was 7pmthe boss asked me to rope and sheet the night trunk motor it was really throwing it down and I was soaked finished up went into the office expecting at least the George medal but told to do it again ,YOU DONT ROPE FLYSHEETS. Never done it again

Found this in the shoe box !!!nothing to skite about but thought I would add it …adding that a few years with Allison,s of Dundee you had to fairly good at it… keep the corners up !!!

Hi Larry, Just seen yourpolite notice for the Chancellor of the time, can you remember when the RHA sent out long yellow windscreen posters ti its members when parliament was proposing the new transport bill circa 1967. These poster were about 2ft long and were meant to fit across the split windcreens of the day the message being “KILL THE TRANSPORT BILL” this was the advent of current Operator Licensing. I had one across the bottom of both screens of my Mickey Mouse Foden 8 wheeler and when I delivered a load of Quaker Oats from Whitehaven to BRS at Team Valley the shop steward went ballistic telling me in no uncertain terms that I must not go there again with the offending message or I would be turned away. Poor misguided soul we got operators licensing after all which wasn’t too bad initially.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

So come on who actually sheeted and roped it for you?

Time to own up Gary.

Leyland600:
Hi Larry, Just seen yourpolite notice for the Chancellor of the time, can you remember when the RHA sent out long yellow windscreen posters ti its members when parliament was proposing the new transport bill circa 1967. These poster were about 2ft long and were meant to fit across the split windcreens of the day the message being “KILL THE TRANSPORT BILL” this was the advent of current Operator Licensing. I had one across the bottom of both screens of my Mickey Mouse Foden 8 wheeler and when I delivered a load of Quaker Oats from Whitehaven to BRS at Team Valley the shop steward went ballistic telling me in no uncertain terms that I must not go there again with the offending message or I would be turned away. Poor misguided soul we got operators licensing after all which wasn’t too bad initially.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Aye but the firm I was driving for at that time although RHA Members wouldn’t alloy their drivers to display them for some reason unknown to anybody, I do also remember a one Saying, Turn this Lorry Around Also another one saying no to nationalisation thumbs down & Yes to free enterprize thumbs up logo, Regards Larry.

I agree dennis a skin over the top would of finnished it off nicely

Thanks for the pics bassman very good of you

Mike…

Bewick:

Bassman:
0123Hi, Dennis

Bassman

No Rush:

Time to own up Gary.

Yes Phil assisted by your good self and Rodney the trainee!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Retired Old ■■■■:
I agree, Bewick, it doesn’t really look like most of the “London” loads that I remember. Maybe the driver used to work for a proper English firm?

The driver roped an sheeted it his self, thats Sid Selfe standing next to the lorry in their yard in Wapping high street east london.I worked for the firm that had the yard opposite Sid,s,at the time his lorries were always roped an sheeted well.

One of Holmes of Kendal from your neck of the woods Bewick.

The Boys Own:

No Rush:

Time to own up Gary.

Yes Phil assisted by your good self and Rodney the trainee!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have to say, “Rodney the trainee” should pretty much get the credit for it, after all, it was him that was told, “Get up on top of there and unroll those sheets” (Good job He’s a young 'un). Then managing to follow our “Guidance” on how to pull/fold/tuck and tie the sheets. And lets not forget, He had to learn how to do the job, including dollies for the first time, with one hand not in full working order. The boy done good.

As for my part in it, I like to think I was there mostly as a “Technical Advisor”.