roping and sheeting

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:
The ZF range change I had in the 320 V10 LPS Merc predated the slap over and to my mind was a lovely box - the slapover ruined it

Was that one of twin turbo ones?
I never had one, but seem to remember they had a switch under the throttle to turn on second turbo?
(And speed up the fuel lift-pump! :smiley: )

had a twin turbo 1633 merc on demo in corby with the 16 zf range change , absolute stunner of a motor , and yes the power kick down was great , hit he bottom of keele floor the throttle and accelerat up keele bank with 21 tonnes of steel tube , popular motor on corby fleetwood night trunk .

tony

tonyj105:

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:
The ZF range change I had in the 320 V10 LPS Merc predated the slap over and to my mind was a lovely box - the slapover ruined it

I never had one, but seem to remember they had a switch under the throttle to turn on second turbo?

had a twin turbo 1633 merc on demo in corby with the 16 zf range change , absolute stunner of a motor , and yes the power kick down was great , hit he bottom of keele floor the throttle and accelerat up keele bank with 21 tonnes of steel tube , popular motor on corby fleetwood night trunk .

tony

Amen to that. 1633 was the last good Merc IMHO!

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:

No a 1932 - 15litre naturally aspirated (1974 model)

whisperingsmith:

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:

No a 1932 - 15litre naturally aspirated (1974 model)

when i worked at ferrymasters the danish self drivers came over with them lp1932’s , one of them, teddy by name , got stopped at around the 75 mph in the outside lane of the m3 , ’ do you know what the outside lane is for driver ?’ yes our man replied , fast cars and danish lorry drivers. these were stunning motors inside , the owner stripped them out and had the interiors rebuilt by a coachbuiler.
bit different to the maggie 232/16 my dad bought off him though.

My 1932 in it’s prime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuqDK5dUlQo

Some Tidy Motors here:

I don’t remember seeing any BRS wagons as clean and tidy as these - and no dents or dings either.
Meanwhile Brtish Railways were running electric trains

whispering smith
you are correct about the clean BRS I spent nearly12 years with BRS and MORTANS BRS and i never ever washed any part of a unit ,never seen anyone wash anything 1, there was no buckets,2, nothing supplied soap etc,3 other would think you mad, every one ■■■■■■ on the wheels, maybe mirrors would get a wipe ,sometimes the windscreen was so badly scratched you put up with it unless you smashed the screen your self…if you could get hold of a , squeeze fairy liquid bottle used , very rare ,you would never buy one .dbp.

Tidy job here, Buzzer

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:

1632s were normally aspirated, a 15litre V10, the ones with the kickdown switch under the throttle was the later 1633, a V8 with twin turbos, one on each bank of the vee, this allowed smaller turbos to be used and therefore less turbo lag than the big single turbo on a Scania v8. The engine was rev limited at 1900rpm unless the kickdown switch was pressed when they reved to 2300, well actually they went to about 2500, but peak power was at 2300, it had nothing to do with the second turbo just in good old Merc fashion, if in doubt rev it harder.

Still got two threads only need one, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Still got two threads only need one, Buzzer

Quite right Buzzer
Dig

Oh dear

tarp7871990036_17e472e9e5_b.jpg

Buzzer

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Bewick:

Buzzer:
Another neat job Dennis, Buzzer

Seen this shot before John but that is some width of fly sheet far wider than we used at BTS but for sure nowt would get wet on that Bowker load ! :wink:

That load tapers in quite a bit Dennis,perhaps 2/3ft each side.

David

By the looks of it David I would say it is loaded with paper and the reels are probably around 2 metres wide so they could be the shiny mag stuff which is extremely heavy because it is smooth and wound tight ! Just my idea but Chris " 240 Gardner" may come on the thread and be able to tell us exactly ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

And he has… :wink:

A photo that has been lifted any number of times from one of my posts :unamused:

Loaded and photographed by the late Peter Davison, at Burnley Paper Mill, more recently known as Smurfit Burnley.

Dennis Javelin:

5thwheel:

Bewick:

Buzzer:
Another neat job Dennis, Buzzer

Seen this shot before John but that is some width of fly sheet far wider than we used at BTS but for sure nowt would get wet on that Bowker load ! :wink:

That load tapers in quite a bit Dennis,perhaps 2/3ft each side.

David

Wouldn’t fancy running at 38t with an F7.

It was a 38T F7 - extra power and a 16-speed gearbox, together with a longer wheelbase. There were 6 on the fleet, and they managed OK, and a couple were even used on European work

Buzzer