roping and sheeting

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Sheeting & roping is one task ■■■■■■■■■ could ( and still can :wink: ) excel at , along with Scotsmen ! cheers Bewick

David
[/quote]
Wouldn’t fancy running at 38t with an F7.
[/quote]
It was a 38T F7 - extra power and a 16-speed gearbox, together with a longer wheelbase. There were 6 on the fleet, and they managed OK, and a couple were even used on European work
[/quote]
Fair play, the two I had couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding at 32t. Pic courtesy of John Curwen.

A407GJV.jpg

Dennis Javelin:
David

Wouldn’t fancy running at 38t with an F7.
[/quote]
It was a 38T F7 - extra power and a 16-speed gearbox, together with a longer wheelbase. There were 6 on the fleet, and they managed OK, and a couple were even used on European work
[/quote]
Fair play, the two I had couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding at 32t. Pic courtesy of John Curwen.
[/quote]
I had an F7 at Shanks for a while and agree it was totally gutless, painful to drive when fully freighted, The 2 F10s we had were much better but I know this won’t sit well with our Volvo and Scania lovers but the Daf I had was better than anything else I drove at Shanks.

Bewick:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Sheeting & roping is one task ■■■■■■■■■ could ( and still can :wink: ) excel at , along with Scotsmen ! cheers Bewick

Your forget to mention bullshine Dennis. :wink: :wink: :wink: regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Bewick:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Your quite correct Kev wor hinney as I thought BS was the exclusive preserve of the N. East ! :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

kevmac47:

Bewick:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Your quite correct Kev wor hinney as I thought BS was the exclusive preserve of the N. East ! :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Everything we know about BS was taught to us by escaping ■■■■■■■■■ looking for a better life Dennis! :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: Ps hope your all fit and well over there. We’re having another get together in a couple of weeks, you are very welcome to join us for the afternoon.
Regards Kev.

Bewick:

kevmac47:

Bewick:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Meeooww

Hiya Kev,
We are both well thanks and I trust you and yours are the same ! Had our Covid booster jabs last Saturday gave me a sore arm and knocked seven bells out of Anne the Sunday but all OK now .
I’ve always wanted to attend one of your get togethers but never been able to organise it but let me have another think on it for the 22nd and I’ll see if I can tempt Mr and Mrs Ponsonby to join us the wives can do the shopping bit and Mike and me could have the craic in the Labour Club with ye lot ! But no promises it may be a bridge too far at the moment ! Stay well Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Hiya Kev,
We are both well thanks and I trust you and yours are the same ! Had our Covid booster jabs last Saturday gave me a sore arm and knocked seven bells out of Anne the Sunday but all OK now .
I’ve always wanted to attend one of your get togethers but never been able to organise it but let me have another think on it for the 22nd and I’ll see if I can tempt Mr and Mrs Ponsonby to join us the wives can do the shopping bit and Mike and me could have the craic in the Labour Club with ye lot ! But no promises it may be a bridge too far at the moment ! Stay well Cheers Dennis.

Let’s hope you can make it Dennis, I’m sure we’ll have a great afternoon. ‘The craic’ is always good and a warm welcome is assured. Regards Kev.

Buzzer

309205491_10163363460789852_5446109817663882614_n.jpg

I ,m sure this has been on previously but just in case …its where I was taught how it was done … these were the days hard but good and I drove one just like it great machine AV690 AEC Mandator

scan0128.jpg

backsplice:
I ,m sure this has been on previously but just in case …its where I was taught how it was done … these were the days hard but good and I drove one just like it great machine AV690 AEC Mandator

Aye that lad is kneeling on the front sheet and is just about to roll out the back sheet ! Pity there is no shot of the finished job as I bet it would have be as tight as a drum immaculate ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

backsplice:

Aye that lad is kneeling on the front sheet and is just about to roll out the back sheet ! Pity there is no shot of the finished job as I bet it would have be as tight as a drum immaculate ! Cheers Bewick.

Crafty idea removing the bumper to compensate for the tight-to-the-limit payload :wink:

25 ton of steel sheet, credit to Rab Lawrence for the photo.
Oily

Buzzer

If the driver of that rig did that on his own , it must have taken him the best part of a morning .

I still cant fathom out how they tie off the ropes on bar, as opposed to rope hooks :confused:

It’s what they call the Australian hitch suedehead , or at least that’s what I call it . It’s been discussed on here before , but I’m unable to recall the title of the thread .

We were often obliged to use it on many of the Irish Sea Ferry Lancashire flats that came into Garston dock in the 70s , as the majority of them were almost totally bereft of rope hooks , although a number were equipped with the horizontal bar .

You’ll find several videos explaining how it all works on YouTube , although I’m afraid I don’t possess the technical ability to post links .

Eddie Heaton:
It’s what they call the Australian hitch suedehead , or at least that’s what I call it . It’s been discussed on here before , but I’m unable to recall the title of the thread .

We were often obliged to use it on many of the Irish Sea Ferry Lancashire flats that came into Garston dock in the 70s , as the majority of them were almost totally bereft of rope hooks , although a number were equipped with the horizontal bar .

You’ll find several videos explaining how it all works on YouTube , although I’m afraid I don’t possess the technical ability to post links .

Bear in mind we use multiple, shorter ropes rather than three miles of rope. Each 9~12 metre rope will cross the load only once.
youtu.be/IxOWV4iLtQ4
Note, the rope in the demonstration is not suitable for load restraint and the first method used is likely to end up with a permanent loop in the rope. The second method is correct.
If restraining a low load, a bight can be passed under the tie rail to tie the hitch, then another hitch tied with the tail. This doubles the force of restraint and uses excessive rope.