roping and sheeting

coomsey:

Bewick:

coomsey:
Nice one Dennis! That’s a fair size tank on her! NMP off FB

It was two tanks “coomsey” the standard 40 gal and I fitted an extra 20 gal behind ! Cheers Dennis.

Good few miles then Dennis ? I only drove one, for my test. I would imagine they weren’t a bad bit of kit for the driver n gaffer . But we all wanted the big boys with our arms out the window . Cheers coomsey

Having 60gal capacity enabled me to comfortably complete round trips to the London area and I had a 600 gal bulk tank at the bottom of my Parents garden ! In those days it was cheaper to have your own bulk supply rather than buy from filling stations on the road. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Having 60gal capacity enabled me to comfortably complete round trips to the London area and I had a 600 gal bulk tank at the bottom of my Parents garden ! In those days it was cheaper to have your own bulk supply rather than buy from filling stations on the road. Cheers Dennis.

Indeed, my brother and I rented a large yard from a local coal merchant who had ceased to be one and we could only get a Shell card if we had an account and a bulk supply. Picked up a large tank from a scrapyard and a load of sleepers from a mate who had gone into business re-cycling them. Without lifting gear I well remember the (dangerous?) struggle we had building a criss cross stack to get it high enough for a gravity feed. The years have blotted out how the hell we got the (thankfully empty) tank on top of the pile. :unamused:

After we had packed it in and I was working for Econofreight, that nice man still let me use the yard from time to time and it wasn’t unusual to see me slotting a 60 foot trailer through the narrow entrance and down the side of the house. :smiley:

How do you lads rate our American flatbed drivers effort ? Sorry to say this is typical and looks like he put the front sheet on first. :confused:

Credit to Pat Hasler for the pics. Not his flatbed I should add, he’s a tanker driver.

Strewth! You’d want limo tint on the windows, so nobody could recognise you. :blush:

The Gobi Desert and a Zil 130 wagon and drag.
Oily

Must be a bit of a ball ache to reverse that into a tight spot

Suedehead:

Not many tight spots in the Gobi Desert! Wouldn’t even need to dust the sand off the mirrors 'cos a dozen ‘banksmen’ would emerge from nowhere to see you back for a bit of backsheesh :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:

Suedehead:

Not many tight spots in the Gobi Desert! Wouldn’t even need to dust the sand off the mirrors 'cos a dozen ‘banksmen’ would emerge from nowhere to see you back for a bit of backsheesh :smiley:

Sorry, ■■■■■■ up there. Meant the abortion with the webbing and tarps

A bit staged but good for a smile. The tarping’s nothing to be ashamed of.
youtu.be/zHHcqYgx2NI

A memory or two here, particularly for Messrs Dunbar and Smith.

youtu.be/_EAseM2x3zQ

Star down under.:

youtu.be/_EAseM2x3zQ

Well “SDU” Some were excellent, some were good , some were indifferent and some were rough and diabolical !! :unamused: But on the whole a great watch of how the industry operated in the days gone by ! Sheeting and roping was the only way until “curtainsiders” started to appear in the late 70’s then it was an almighty rush into a system that unfortunately signed the death knell of S & R ! :frowning: Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Star down under.:

youtu.be/_EAseM2x3zQ

Well “SDU” Some were excellent, some were good , some were indifferent and some were rough and diabolical !! :roll: But on the whole a great watch of how the industry operated in the days gone by ! Sheeting and roping was the only way until “curtainsiders” started to appear in the late 70’s then it was an almighty rush into a system that unfortunately signed the death knell of S & R ! :frowning: Cheers Bewick.

So a fairly accurate depiction then, Dennis. :smiley:
I’ve always appreciated a well tarped load, but nowadays I’m satisfied admiring other’s handiwork. :wink:

Uig Ferry Port Isle of Skye heading for the Outer Hebrides 2005.
Oily

Hope this passes Bewicks inspection looks a neat job, await the decision Dennis, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Hope this passes Bewicks inspection looks a neat job, await the decision Dennis, Buzzer

Alf Sutton was “Numero uno” and you never saw a rough sheeting job on any of his motors as all his Lads took a pride in their work and lo and behold if Alf caught any sheeting that was not up to par !! Apparently the “hair dryer” treatment was dished out in no uncertain manner to the Unfortunate ! :wink: You couldn’t get any better than Suttons at the craft of S & R ! :sunglasses: Cheers Dennis.

Another neat job Dennis, Buzzer